Author Topic: Use It Up  (Read 40286 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Use It Up
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2016, 02:46:14 AM »
- Found a recipe to use up savoiardi sponge fingers
- Emptied the last of the 2L bottle of BBQ sauce into the smaller bottle so I can toss the big bottle
- Found half a bottle of LLB cordial, will mix it up in a jug with lemonade and fruit for a guest tonight

Not sure if it counts in this thread or the decluttering thread, but I'm also "using up" a shimmery purple lavender-scented candle that I found in a cupboard. Smells good and it will be one less thing to move.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2016, 06:28:34 AM »
The quiche was not a hit.  Crust was too thick, and dry, and crumbly and not pastry-like enough.  We all wanted more eggs/filling and less (or no) crust.  I guess that is the hazard of learning to make a damn good frittata!

Oh, well, one cup of coconut flour down.  Now to figure out how to use up the rest of the damn bag.  I  might just toss it, or offer it on freecycle.  It is past best by date, but we thought it tasted fine.

Check King Arthur Flour for recipes using coconut flour. I have found it very dry too - I tried a recipe in the side of the bag for chocolate chip cookies. They were OK. It may work OK in a shortbread recipe.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2016, 07:47:40 AM »
IMO, coconut flour makes a pretty good shortbread. Similar to what I've made before: http://blog.paleohacks.com/coconut-flour-shortbread-cookies/ (I couldn't find the exact recipe)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2016, 08:23:44 AM »
Have you tried making your own tortillas? All you need is flour, baking powder, salt and lard, butter or shortening. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/homemade-flour-tortillas/

Random bit of trivia: I first heard of Ree (the 'Pioneer Woman') because of her line of cooking products. I assumed this was some made-up identity from Walmart or whatever. Then I found out about her food and ranch-life blog that I'd somehow managed to remain ignorant of for the last, I don't know, ten years!

I found her site about 8 years ago, and I still enjoy a lot of her older recipes (the tortillas, Penne a la Betsy and sesame noodles in particular), but I think the site has gone waaaaaaaay downhill. I'm not going to buy her products, I don't want random contract writers' thoughts on how to whip cream or whatever, I don't want to read three posts about the same quiz giveaway, and I  REALLY don't want to hear more about how she's just an aw-shucks reg'ler-ol-country-gal sandwiched between details of her TWO massive houses on the same property, her other property in town and her other OTHER property in a neighboring state.

My recommendation is to not subscribe to the blog or anything, but use it as a general go-to for recipes, particularly traditional "home cooking" dishes and easy-yet-impressive party food.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2016, 08:27:04 AM »
You guys have inspired me, by the way. I have lots of lard (home rendered too, it's been frozen) and lots of flour I need to use up, and I use wraps every week for work lunches.

I'll be giving the homemade tortillas a try soon!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2016, 08:59:08 AM »

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2016, 11:11:46 AM »
Nachos for dinner tonight, using up:
- frozen mince
- 4 tins of kidney beans
- 1 tin of diced tomatoes
- 1 jar of salsa

I still have three jars of salsa and eight tins of diced tomatoes in the pantry. (Was I fearing an impending tomato shortage?) Suggestions welcome.

I read that first ingredient as "frozen mice."  Hmm...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »
The quiche was not a hit.  Crust was too thick, and dry, and crumbly and not pastry-like enough.  We all wanted more eggs/filling and less (or no) crust.  I guess that is the hazard of learning to make a damn good frittata!

Oh, well, one cup of coconut flour down.  Now to figure out how to use up the rest of the damn bag.  I  might just toss it, or offer it on freecycle.  It is past best by date, but we thought it tasted fine.

I really like this coconut flour cake.  It would be awesome split in half and filled with a nice fruit preserve or something:  http://www.savorylotus.com/simple-coconut-flour-cake/

It's not very sweet, so it's nice for breakfast.  I'm actually sort of obsessed with it, but maybe because I don't eat cake very often.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2016, 03:11:18 PM »
Nachos for dinner tonight, using up:
- frozen mince
- 4 tins of kidney beans
- 1 tin of diced tomatoes
- 1 jar of salsa

I still have three jars of salsa and eight tins of diced tomatoes in the pantry. (Was I fearing an impending tomato shortage?) Suggestions welcome.

I read that first ingredient as "frozen mice."  Hmm...

Almost like the time I made my husband gag by announcing I'd found a great recipe for cockroach balls.

(I was after a cheap alternative to the baits we keep on our balcony year-round. Found a great recipe involving bacon fat and borax. Neglected to mention it would be the roaches eating the balls, not us!)

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2016, 03:46:20 PM »
I have leftover blueberries and three green VERY sour apples that I was going to put into a crisp. We're short on butter but I have a shit-ton of vegetable shortening. Can I use that instead of butter for the crumble part?

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2016, 06:41:47 PM »
I  REALLY don't want to hear more about how she's just an aw-shucks reg'ler-ol-country-gal sandwiched between details of her TWO massive houses on the same property, her other property in town and her other OTHER property in a neighboring state.

Yeah, this goes with pbkmaine's comment about her husband's family, which was something I'd already guessed just from a cursory browse. She tries to paint a very humble-cowboy picture - "Marlboro Man" indeed! - but it's apparent immediately that this ain't, and has never been, some scrappy plot with a doublewide on it ;)

I used up kiwi fruit today by making a sandwich with sliced kiwi and Brie. Delicious!

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »
Have you tried making your own tortillas? All you need is flour, baking powder, salt and lard, butter or shortening. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/homemade-flour-tortillas/

You might be able to hold out awhile. :)

This is actually a great idea--I've always wanted to try it and shied away because I don't have a tortilla press.  But seeing this article makes me realize that might not be necessary.

Wonder how they would taste with vegetable shortening (which I have on hand)?  Might look for a recipe using that and then invest in lard if it doesn't satisfy (because I don't currently use lard for anything, I don't keep it on hand).

Wow, between this and the kitchen disasters thread, I gotta get some kitchen experimentation time going!  :)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2016, 07:21:30 AM »
This is actually a great idea--I've always wanted to try it and shied away because I don't have a tortilla press.  But seeing this article makes me realize that might not be necessary.

Wonder how they would taste with vegetable shortening (which I have on hand)?  Might look for a recipe using that and then invest in lard if it doesn't satisfy (because I don't currently use lard for anything, I don't keep it on hand).

Wow, between this and the kitchen disasters thread, I gotta get some kitchen experimentation time going!  :)

I actually bought a tortilla press thinking it'd make flour tortillas easier, but it didn't. I think they're mostly for corn tortillas.

I think you can use shortening, but they probably won't be as good. Fresh flour tortillas with lard are...heavenly. Ones with shortening will probably be about on par with store-bought.

http://modernfarmer.com/2013/10/americas-top-100-land-owners/
#17 Drummond Family
433,000 acres
They’ve been ranching Oklahoma for over a century, but you may know Ree Dummond best, who joined the family when she married Lee Drummond. She runs the popular Pioneer Woman blog under the slogan, “Plowing through life in the country one calf nut at a time.” Which probably does not make her blog, like, particularly popular with calves.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2016, 11:37:21 PM »
I went an a tour that went through her part of Oklahoma.  She lives right out side of town and they said the locals all laugh/ to their eyes behind d her back.  Not surprising that the persona is largely an affectation.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2016, 06:19:38 AM »
Made scones this morning, incorporating the last 2 tablespoons of sour cream in the fridge, the remaining less than half a container of raspberries, and however much butter was in the fridge. Delicious, and super tender!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2016, 09:02:22 AM »
The tortillas were ok -- not great, but everybody ate them without complaining.  A lot more trouble than just taking them out of the package and heating them up, though.  Now I remember why I never used up that big bag of masa....  I also improvised a pretty good taco seasoning mix with various spices we had on hand that needed using up (cumin, garlic power, hot pepper, salt and black pepper) and our mortar and pestle.  Was a pretty good substitute for the pre-mixed taco seasoning that I usually use -- had to throw that out a few days ago when I found bugs in it!

DH and I finished off the last of the gin with a can of tonic he brought home from one of his flights.  I found that brand to be a bit more bitter than I was used to, so added a bit of lemon juice (something else that needs to be used up).

I'm assuming that your masa is just regular masa harina (and not premade masa dough or masarepa, treated with lime). I would HIGHLY suggest trying tamales. Suuuuuuper easy, especially if you make the filling in a crock pot and have a few extra hands for assembly. (And if you still have the meat-and-bean filling you used for the tacos, just use that.)

The best part about tamales is that since they're steamed, they store well in the freezer and microwave perfectly.

http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/pork-tamales/
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:03:59 AM by merula »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2016, 09:22:36 AM »

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2016, 02:00:23 PM »
Some of the best gluten free cupcakes I ever had were made with coconut flour.  Don't have recipe though, were bought at coffee shop.  But hope the idea helps.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2016, 10:02:25 PM »
Lhamo, I hear you on the tortilla thing.  I've started making corn tortillas, and indoors, we can only cook 2 at a time, so after making a dozen or so when my dad was visiting, I vowed to never commit to making them for a crowd.  Next time I'm going to try cooking them on our gas grill since it should be able to hold about a dozen. 

Need to use up some tiny mixed lentils (white, orange and black beluga lentils) and loads of red lentils, (which I was briefly obsessed with a couple years ago) and clear the inventory of old home-canned stuff to make way for the new.  IIRC, I have canned tomato soup, peach halves in very light syrup, spiced pears, pear sauce, golden relish and a balsamic-thyme jelly that didn't really set. Probably some other things I'm forgetting right now as well. Hmmm, I feel like this could be a good round of Stump the Chef, or maybe a Chopped! basket.  Lentils in the tomato soup would probably make a good dahl; there's two birds with one stone.

We also have a fair bit of last year's beef and a bit of lamb; apparently I was a little too parsimonious with the steaks and roasts, considering it's not too long until it will be time to put this year's meat in the deep freeze.

I have made good progress on the big jar of mixed nuts (all types of raw nuts and seeds that I mixed together and have been on a nut-buying ban until they're gone).  The coconut flour was down far enough to transfer to a smaller jar, and I've put a pretty good dent in my whey protein and frozen pineapple.

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2016, 10:05:51 PM »
I would love to use up several gallons of habanero and poblano peppers. Simply adding them to dishes is taking far too long to use up.

Habanero jelly can be surprisingly awesome.  Of course, it's hot as hell and mostly sugar.  But great flavor.

Poblanos:  We eat them as a main course.  Chile Rellenos, of course, but even simpler -- roast them and dip in "csprof's ad hoc dipping sauce that reminds him of what he found at street vendors in Beijing", kinda sorta soy sauce + sesame oil + ginger + garlic + whatever else sounds fun (sesame seeds?).  They stuff well, too.  Tons of things to do here.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2016, 10:35:49 PM »
I would love to use up several gallons of habanero and poblano peppers. Simply adding them to dishes is taking far too long to use up.

Habanero jelly can be surprisingly awesome.  Of course, it's hot as hell and mostly sugar.  But great flavor.

Poblanos:  We eat them as a main course.  Chile Rellenos, of course, but even simpler -- roast them and dip in "csprof's ad hoc dipping sauce that reminds him of what he found at street vendors in Beijing", kinda sorta soy sauce + sesame oil + ginger + garlic + whatever else sounds fun (sesame seeds?).  They stuff well, too.  Tons of things to do here.

You can also make a fermented pepper hot sauce.  I've made it with a melange of whatever peppers I had leftover at the end of the season.  I'm hoping to get enough habaneros this year to do a straight hab sauce.  http://phickle.com/we-can-phickle-that-hot-pepper-sauce/

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2016, 06:13:31 PM »
*snip*

We also have a fair bit of last year's beef and a bit of lamb; apparently I was a little too parsimonious with the steaks and roasts, considering it's not too long until it will be time to put this year's meat in the deep freeze.

*snip*

Make gyros!  Then invite me over for dinner!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2016, 07:27:24 PM »
6 egg whites have been in the freezer for a year. My coworkers demolished the chocolate meringues in less than an hour.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
Used up the dregs of a bag of almond flour and powdered sugar in this recipe!  Easy to make with my toddler!  Still in the oven though . . .

http://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2016/03/17/almond-flour-shortbread-cookies/?utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingarthurflour.com%2Fshop%2Flanding.jsp%3Fgo%3DEC160320A_B2&utm_campaign=sunday_content&trk_msg=ECGI4CNF7GGK7DMT0ILCNTN3I0&utm_content=ec160320a-easter-recipes&utm_source=listrak&trk_contact=00D9MK7IT40Q34TFNK9HN6SVFO&utm_medium=email&go=EC160320A_B2

LOL, wouldn't make these again, at least with the coarser flour I had.  And I'd measure the salt.  I estimated and overdid it.  :/

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2016, 11:08:27 PM »
Going away with friends for my birthday next week (21, really!)

I'm picking out recipes with the goal of using up some pantry ingredients.

To use up:

Plum sweet chilli sauce: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/23309/sweet+chilli+cream+cheese+dip

Crumbed walnuts, slivered almonds and local honey: http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/honey-nut-baked-brie-cheese/

I'm also taking a jar of chilli jam I was gifted, and a collection of empty jars for tea lights and candles.

And, a side project, I'm using up the last of the Captain Morgan OP (and an empty bottle of caramelised balsamic vinegar, thoroughly washed) on: https://www.beanilla.com/blog/homemade-vanilla-extract

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2016, 06:01:43 PM »

To use up:

Plum sweet chilli sauce: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/23309/sweet+chilli+cream+cheese+dip

Crumbed walnuts, slivered almonds and local honey: http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/honey-nut-baked-brie-cheese/

I'm also taking a jar of chilli jam I was gifted, and a collection of empty jars for tea lights and candles.

And, a side project, I'm using up the last of the Captain Morgan OP (and an empty bottle of caramelised balsamic vinegar, thoroughly washed) on: https://www.beanilla.com/blog/homemade-vanilla-extract

Shit, you know sooooo much more about food at 21 than I did!  Love it!

Experimental brownies in the oven to use up some gluten free Bisquick and some hot chocolate mix I did not care for.  Loosely based on this recipe:  http://www.food.com/recipe/juneanns-chewy-bisquick-brownies-207398?layout=desktop.  We shall see.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2016, 07:05:39 PM »
I'm making cookies with two bananas that are past their date, unsweetened coconut, sliced almonds, and cinnamon. I've made two ingredient cookies with bananas and oatmeal, but we don't have any oatmeal. We will see how these turn out!

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2016, 08:31:30 PM »
Love the experimentation.  Update us on the cookies!  The brownies came out cakey (which I wanted) and I am glad that hot chocolate mix is out of the cupboard.  It was Spiced Hot Cocoa and I didn't care for it as a drink.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2016, 10:48:12 PM »

To use up:

Experimental brownies in the oven to use up some gluten free Bisquick and some hot chocolate mix I did not care for.  Loosely based on this recipe:  http://www.food.com/recipe/juneanns-chewy-bisquick-brownies-207398?layout=desktop.  We shall see.

Hehehe, 21 was a joke to cope with turning 30!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2016, 09:49:21 AM »
Love the experimentation.  Update us on the cookies!  The brownies came out cakey (which I wanted) and I am glad that hot chocolate mix is out of the cupboard.  It was Spiced Hot Cocoa and I didn't care for it as a drink.
The cookies had a good texture, but they were bland.  I should have added more cinnamon or used nutmeg.  I would definitely try to make them again, but I would probably add raisins and spices to jazz them up.  The cookies were the perfect snack on our flights.  They were filling and easy to pack.

I really need to get back into using stuff up.  We've been stockpiling again, and it's out of control.  Poor planning for grocery shopping...

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2016, 12:02:05 PM »

To use up:

Hehehe, 21 was a joke to cope with turning 30!

LOL, missed that!  You still kick butt though.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2016, 12:03:30 PM »
The cookies had a good texture, but they were bland.  I should have added more cinnamon or used nutmeg.  I would definitely try to make them again, but I would probably add raisins and spices to jazz them up.  The cookies were the perfect snack on our flights.  They were filling and easy to pack.

I really need to get back into using stuff up.  We've been stockpiling again, and it's out of control.  Poor planning for grocery shopping...

It's so easy to end up with a stockpile!  I enjoy the challenge of Using Up.  It makes me think of new ways of eating and is one of the few creative outlets I have with a six week old and two year old.  :P

incognito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2016, 12:31:38 PM »
Chipotle peppers - Rehydrate the peppers by soaking in water for an hour. Then put peppers, some apple cider vinegar, some olive oil, salt & pepper to taste, in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Makes a great salad dressing, or a smoky spicy sauce for whatever. We also put this dressing in veggie or bean wraps.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2016, 07:35:50 PM »
Have made several meals worth of food from pantry and partial fridge goods this week with leftover party foods as the inspiration.  Crusty leftover sloppy joe meat and baked beans went in a chili (it turned out ok, kind of sweet, passable) and the messy leftover bits of the veggie tray became a sweet and sour dinner tonight.  Yum.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2017, 07:31:28 PM »
Most delicious use-it-up! I had 3...uhh...2.5... very old pears and a sad package of blackberries...voila! Pear-blackberry Dutch baby. (And decadent as it looks, it's under 300 kcal per slice.)

My fave Dutch baby recipe: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/apple-dutch-baby