Author Topic: Use It Up  (Read 40285 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Use It Up
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »
What do you do with homemade mint jelly, when you don't like mint jelly at all?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2016, 03:49:50 PM »
Ideas for a big bag of frozen peas (and one of the two people in the house hates peas)?

You can put a small handful in anything which is green and pureed. So guacamole as suggested above, but also pesto and any kind of green soup - broccoli, leek and potato... You can try pureeing them into other things like tomato pasta sauce but they might be a bit more noticeable.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2016, 03:50:29 PM »

Do you dislike mint, or just mint jelly? If only the latter, I'd try to find a way of using it to flavor chocolate-mint desserts with or etc.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
I know this is the Use It Up thread, but when I don't like something, I don't go to great lengths to use it.  If unopened, I'll food shelf it, and if it's opened and desirable, I'll gift it on a local garage sale group.  And if it's open and UNdesirable to most people, I chuck it.  :(

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2016, 05:00:32 PM »

Do you dislike mint, or just mint jelly? If only the latter, I'd try to find a way of using it to flavor chocolate-mint desserts with or etc.

Both. Also not a fan of chocolate, and mint-chocolate is yucky. See my problem?

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2016, 05:19:12 PM »
Is it opened?  Could you put it out on a free table at work or something of the like?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2016, 05:38:44 PM »
This is an awesome thread, as I'm trying to thin out the kitchen before we move.

For the margarita mix: blend with cream cheese and Cool Whip for a fruit dip?

Ideas for a big bag of frozen peas (and one of the two people in the house hates peas)?
I toss frozen peas into my rice cooker when I make rice.  It helps squeeze in a serving of vegetables when I eat rice. 

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2016, 05:45:26 PM »

Both. Also not a fan of chocolate, and mint-chocolate is yucky. See my problem?

Then I can only suggest combining it with a strong oxidizing agent and using it as fuel in a less gustatory sense!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2016, 05:51:47 PM »
I am inundated with sauces.

My husband loves barbecue sauce so we usually have a half a dozen bottles in the pantry that he's either bought or been given. He loves chilli sauce, so likewise.

I have a family member who makes jams, pickles and sauces, and she gives me a couple of jars every time I see her. Most recently it was a hot chilli jam, and habaneros in vinegar.

If I wasn't so averse to clutter I would line them up on my kitchen bench as a reminder to use them up. Instead, I'm going to inventory them and take photos on my phone so I can keep them in mind while I shop.

But seriously, habaneros in vinegar? Any ideas? Stir fry?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2016, 05:58:14 PM »
Is it opened?  Could you put it out on a free table at work or something of the like?

Unopened, but no such useful table at work. Though maybe the food drive that will eventually show up is a good option.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2016, 06:02:35 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions on plain gelatin packets? I bought a large box to fill out an Amazon order back when I was using it regularly to make flavored yogurt, but then I stopped and I have probably 30 packets left. I do not want to eat that much Jello.
Gelliplates - for monoprinting. They are really good, and use up a lot of gelatin.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2016, 06:18:36 PM »

Puree with ricotta, use as a thick spread on toasts with bacon, roasted tomato.  Or as the base to a faked carbonara or alfredo pasta.  Or a sauce base for a "white" pizza.

Puree with chickpeas, olive oil & tahini to make a hummus.  Top with zatar, goat cheese, pine nuts, etc.  Eat with naan, pita, etc.

Bacon, fried eggs, and/or cheese are great ways to make ingredients more palatable to people who dislike them.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2016, 07:09:05 PM »
Following for the ideas! I'm sure there's lots lurking I have to add, but haven't found them yet. Moving in a month, and will be tapping the depths of our pantry and freezer soon!

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2016, 07:19:53 PM »
For those who don't mind cooking new foods, I've found Googling actually helps a lot for this. I recently had some cream cheese I needed to use up. I just Googled "recipes with cream cheese". It was hard to find any that didn't involve desserts or soup, but I found this idea to make cream cheese stuffed chicken. It was SO GOOD. I also recently had exactly 1 egg left. I found this chocolate peanut butter cookie recipe (that was just OK...) and made that.

I've had fairly good luck with random recipes on the internet. None I've tried have been terrible, and most have been really good.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2016, 07:24:35 PM »
For those who don't mind cooking new foods, I've found Googling actually helps a lot for this. I recently had some cream cheese I needed to use up. I just Googled "recipes with cream cheese". It was hard to find any that didn't involve desserts or soup, but I found this idea to make cream cheese stuffed chicken. It was SO GOOD. I also recently had exactly 1 egg left. I found this chocolate peanut butter cookie recipe (that was just OK...) and made that.

I've had fairly good luck with random recipes on the internet. None I've tried have been terrible, and most have been really good.

This, but with pinterest, is exactly how I found my favorite "use it up" recipe for overripe bananas. Two ingredient cookies! The basic ingredients are 2 bananas to 1 cup oats, cooked at 350F for 15 min on a greased pan. I usually add coconut flakes too, but you can add just about any nuts or candies you have- I've used it for using up halloween candy, the bad melty flakes left from a chocolate bar, some dates... everything has worked so far! It's awesome.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2016, 09:09:56 PM »
Posting to follow!

I don't care for green peas on their own, but I love them in soup with a good broth.  Also, some people who don't like them cooked will eat them frozen.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2016, 09:18:17 PM »
I also recently had exactly 1 egg left.

Stop right there! The answer to this wonderful non-dilemma is, and ever shall be, the fried-egg sandwich. Yum yum yum.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »

Stop right there! The answer to this wonderful non-dilemma is, and ever shall be, the fried-egg sandwich. Yum yum yum.
Haha!  That is a good option.  I also frequently use a single egg to make a single serving dessert (in a mug in the microwave).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2016, 05:19:50 PM »

This exchange has challenged me to be more dutiful about using up food before buying more.

I would usually look at one egg left in the fridge and think, 'time to buy eggs' not 'time to eat the sole remaining egg'.

But you're right. One egg is full of potential. It's ... an opportunity!

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2016, 12:58:30 PM »
Reviving this thread because it's so useful!

I had a yellow squash from last week's CSA box and I don't care for squash, so I found a summer squash bread recipe (like the squash version of zucchini bread) and made muffins, which are delicious and made a great breakfast. Relatively low-cal, too.

This morning I threw the following into the InstantPot on slow-cooker mode: a pack of chicken breasts that have been in the freezer, frozen black beans that I'd cooked and frozen quite a while ago, pinto beans that I soaked overnight (plus the water), 3/4 of a jar of leftover salsa, the leftover half of an onion, a brick of cream cheese that had been in the back of the fridge (but had not expired), and some cumin, chili powder, dried cilantro and a dash of cayenne. I'll shred the chicken when I get home after work. Et voila! Creamy chicken chili that will be served over rice that I cooked last night. Might slice up some green onion on top, too, and now that I think about it, there are some deli slices of cheddar that need used up. Might chop that and let it melt on top. YUM!!! Oh, and there are a couple flavorino tomatoes left that I could chop. (see next paragraph)

Last night I used two packets of pizza dough, pressed it thin onto a greased cookie sheet, covered it in olive oil and minced garlic, then sprinkled chopped basil from our balcony plant, sliced some flavorino tomatoes from last week's CSA box, chopped a little onion, and then covered all that with a bag of shredded mozzarella that had been in the fridge for at least two weeks, plus shaved some parmesan on top. Put it in a hot oven (450 degrees) and OMG is was delicious last night and then again for lunch today.

Still need to do something with that kale ...

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2016, 01:07:04 PM »
Might slice up some green onion on top, too, and now that I think about it, there are some deli slices of cheddar that need used up.

Have you ever mentioned where you were born/raised?  I associate this usage with central/western Pennsylvania, ohio, and maybe bits of VA and WV nearby.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
Might slice up some green onion on top, too, and now that I think about it, there are some deli slices of cheddar that need used up.

Have you ever mentioned where you were born/raised?  I associate this usage with central/western Pennsylvania, ohio, and maybe bits of VA and WV nearby.

LMAO!!! I was born and raised in northeastern Ohio, lived briefly near Pittsburgh, then spent six years on the Gulf Coast before moving back to the Midwest a year ago.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2016, 01:14:30 PM »

Kale chips? In minestrone? (Not really summery, though.) Or wilted and used in omelets or casseroles.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2016, 03:50:49 PM »
We're leaving for vacation on Friday morning, so I've been trying to clear out the fridge this week.  Tonight we're having liver and onions with mushrooms and leftover smoked pork belly, which will hopefully make it a little more appetizing. Artichokes and fried green tomatoes on the side. Tomorrow we'll need to use up a head of lettuce and a few other odds and ends, which will hopefully take care of the most perishable stuff.  The last of Sunday night's soup will be my lunch tomorrow.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2016, 05:17:48 PM »

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2016, 06:42:52 PM »
We had about 4 bites of raspberry sorbet left, and a weird bottle of pineapple hefeweizen (summer beer mixed pack). Shook the sorbet up with a splash of rum and topped off with the beer: a delightfully refreshing cocktail!

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2016, 07:07:51 PM »
Margarita mix:  I use it for a chicken marinade, then serve the chicken over a bowl of rice /black beans ... topped with cheddar cheese and pico de guio.  Very good. 

Ginger:  Freeze it.  I love ginger too, but it's a pain to peel and chop ... so when I do it, I flash freeze most of it on a piece of wax paper, then put it into a ziplock so I can use just what I need. 

The only thing I can think of having "used it up" lately:  Last night my kids used 1/2 each a green pepper, a red pepper and an onion (they made a Mexican dish).  So I chopped up the remainder and saved it, and tonight we had omelets.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »
Excellent use-up time today! I combined some ground turkey (browned in a skillet with some leftover oil from last week) with the following use-up-needers:

The last of some quinoa pasta
Some cherry tomatoes and an onion (both chopped and sautéed using the leftover oil)

... and what I have is an absolutely insanely delicious pasta dish with a really good (macro)nutrient balance and a little color from the tomatoes. Enough for 2-3 more meals, and I doubt I'll have to force myself to eat it!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2016, 07:04:43 AM »
*snip*

Ginger:  Freeze it.  I love ginger too, but it's a pain to peel and chop ... so when I do it, I flash freeze most of it on a piece of wax paper, then put it into a ziplock so I can use just what I need. 

*snip*

The best advice I ever heard for ginger was to buy the piece you want and stick it right in the freezer in a baggie.  Then, when you need it, peel with the edge of a spoon the part you want to use, and chop/grate it off the piece of ginger.  It chops up as easily as garlic when it's frozen, and the spoon trick is WAY easier than other methods of peeling I've tried.  I almost never used fresh ginger until I heard this.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2016, 08:25:36 AM »
We've been doing well, too!  Used up enough to defrost the big freezer and leave it off over vacation, and when we come back we will plan some freezer meals for when baby comes.

We ate:

- Turkey tenderloins in the crock pot, then put in a salad of rice noodles, peanut sauce, chopped peanuts, broccoli cole slaw mix
- The last of the damn black bean noodles from Costco, yeah!!  Never buying those again!

We gave a whole frozen turkey to my mother-in-law who is preparing it in her air conditioned house to take on our upcoming vacation!  God bless her!  I wanted to give the damn thing away.

sun and sand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2016, 11:20:26 PM »
A bit of cooked broccoli and half of a potato was left from dinner.   Will  add cheese and spices to the veggies in a quiche for another day.  Have that with a green salad. YUM!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2016, 11:26:29 PM »
A bit of cooked broccoli and half of a potato was left from dinner.   Will  add cheese and spices to the veggies in a quiche for another day.  Have that with a green salad. YUM!

Broccoli and potato inspiration:

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/06/broccoli-cheddar-baked-potatoes/

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2016, 11:23:37 AM »

Sushi bowls! Heat sesame oil in a pan, add a chopped onion and garlic, sauté until translucent. Add kale and cook until soft. Splash with soy and rice wine. Add sesame seeds and cook until they're just toasted. Chill. Serve over chilled sushi rice with shredded carrots and sliced cucumber. A little siracha mayo and pickled ginger on top and you're done, but I like to add a poached egg sometimes. I do this with spinach or kale all the time and it's delicious and healthy.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2016, 08:17:04 PM »
Today I took:
- the dregs of some spiced plum syrup left over from when I canned spiced plum butter a couple weeks ago,
- some seltzer I found in the back of the fridge that I think I bought last summer but hey, it's still fizzy,
- some vodka

Behold, fancy cocktail! :D

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2016, 08:17:48 PM »

The best advice I ever heard for ginger was to buy the piece you want and stick it right in the freezer in a baggie.  Then, when you need it, peel with the edge of a spoon the part you want to use, and chop/grate it off the piece of ginger.  It chops up as easily as garlic when it's frozen, and the spoon trick is WAY easier than other methods of peeling I've tried.  I almost never used fresh ginger until I heard this.

Holy crap, this is Genius. I will definitely try this.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2016, 09:48:54 PM »
More use-ups over the last couple days! Strawberries, lettuce, a pear, a little watermelon, some refried beans and the last few bits of quinoa pasta all got used. I am now completely caught up on fruit and veg - i.e. my grocery day is tomorrow and the only veg I have are long-lasters like potatoes and onions - and I'm steadily whittling away the dry goods etc. too. :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2016, 03:11:17 AM »
Using up pumpkin soup and bread rolls from the freezer, and bolognese from the freezer and penne from the pantry for lunches and dinners this week.

Now to use up the freezer stash of savoiardi. I usually use them in tiramisu but I'm off dairy and ... well, dessert in general.

Maybe I can make a batch and feed it to friends.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2016, 09:35:10 AM »
Doing a "use it up" chili today!

Ingredients include:
2 old jars of home canned black beans. The last 2 to get used up! I am ashamed to admit I've moved these TWICE and haven't used them all up yet.
A partial bag of frozen three color peppers
2 jalapenos that were frozen
1/4lb of "dog food" organ meat mix. Really makes for a rich chili! Also, trying to be conscious about getting more organ meats in my diet since we're in the home stretch before trying for a baby
hot sausage- we're thawing the whole pound, but will only use 1/3 to 1/2 in the recipe, then make crumbles from the rest for tasty breakfast scrambles
1/4lb of severely freezer burnt ground beef (Why Brother made 1/4lb packs is beyond me... haha)
about 1/2 cup dry lentils

Pretty sure chili is the ultimate "use it up" meal for pulses and meat!

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »
DH and I got home from a 3-day trip on Thursday of last week (before which we'd eaten down the pantry pretty well), and I was planning on going on a re-stock trip to the grocery--but somehow we've managed to keep feeding ourselves since then without setting foot in a supermarket. 

We've made some use-it-up sandwiches from tortillas (example: breakfast burritos with eggs and microwaved Costco bacon bits, which crisps them up and makes the super yummy and crunchy, and some last bits of a block cheese which shredded up nicely), and I dug out a bag of frozen green beans that have been living in my freezer for God knows how long, thawed them, and sauteed them with some butter, sesame oil, and roasted garlic powder. 

DH is gone on another short business trip until tomorrow night, and I'm going to see how long I can hold out.  I ate the last tortilla for lunch today, so my "easy" options are more limited than they were, but I'm still going strong!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2016, 12:39:10 PM »
DH and I got home from a 3-day trip on Thursday of last week (before which we'd eaten down the pantry pretty well), and I was planning on going on a re-stock trip to the grocery--but somehow we've managed to keep feeding ourselves since then without setting foot in a supermarket. 

We've made some use-it-up sandwiches from tortillas (example: breakfast burritos with eggs and microwaved Costco bacon bits, which crisps them up and makes the super yummy and crunchy, and some last bits of a block cheese which shredded up nicely), and I dug out a bag of frozen green beans that have been living in my freezer for God knows how long, thawed them, and sauteed them with some butter, sesame oil, and roasted garlic powder. 

DH is gone on another short business trip until tomorrow night, and I'm going to see how long I can hold out.  I ate the last tortilla for lunch today, so my "easy" options are more limited than they were, but I'm still going strong!

Have you tried making your own tortillas? All you need is flour, baking powder, salt and lard, butter or shortening. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/homemade-flour-tortillas/

You might be able to hold out awhile. :)

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »
+1 to making your own flour tortillas. I actually make them with olive oil (since that's what I tend to have on hand) and they are so delicious. And fun!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2016, 02:41:03 PM »

My husband is away right now, and after reading this I am OFFICIALLY on a no-food-buying-til-he-gets-home challenge! He'll be away at least another week, maybe two, so this ought to be easy peasy. I am, however, making an official exception for ice cream because we are having a heatwave this week and my body does not cope well with heat. (And a girl's got to have something to look forward to...)

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2016, 06:35:57 PM »
Have you tried making your own tortillas? All you need is flour, baking powder, salt and lard, butter or shortening. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/homemade-flour-tortillas/

Random bit of trivia: I first heard of Ree (the 'Pioneer Woman') because of her line of cooking products. I assumed this was some made-up identity from Walmart or whatever. Then I found out about her food and ranch-life blog that I'd somehow managed to remain ignorant of for the last, I don't know, ten years!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2016, 08:00:59 PM »
Nachos for dinner tonight, using up:
- frozen mince
- 4 tins of kidney beans
- 1 tin of diced tomatoes
- 1 jar of salsa

I still have three jars of salsa and eight tins of diced tomatoes in the pantry. (Was I fearing an impending tomato shortage?) Suggestions welcome.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2016, 09:34:25 PM »
Love the ideas for ginger, and all the other suggestions so far.

I did a use it up soup today - garlic and chickpeas plus leftover chicken stock and chopped frozen kale (garnish from a recent fruit tray - idea from another MMM forum post!) plus broken up pieces of lasagna noodles. Finished with some soy sauce and a little lemon juice.  Very tasty and helpful for clearing out the fridge for our upcoming trip.

Need suggestions for using lemon spread (kinda jam like?). I thought it would be nice on a peanut butter sandwich but the flavour just disappears.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2016, 09:36:48 PM »

Random bit of trivia: I first heard of Ree (the 'Pioneer Woman') because of her line of cooking products. I assumed this was some made-up identity from Walmart or whatever. Then I found out about her food and ranch-life blog that I'd somehow managed to remain ignorant of for the last, I don't know, ten years!

Her husband's family is one of the largest landowners in Oklahoma.

Mr Dorothy Dollar

• Stubble
    • Dorothy Dollar
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2016, 09:41:32 PM »
I would love to use up several gallons of habanero and poblano peppers. Simply adding them to dishes is taking far too long to use up.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2016, 09:55:20 PM »
Need suggestions for using lemon spread (kinda jam like?). I thought it would be nice on a peanut butter sandwich but the flavour just disappears.

Like lemon butter?

Could you use it up in pastry cases as a tart filling?

Or in place of jam in jam drops?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2016, 12:11:48 AM »

Like lemon butter?

Could you use it up in pastry cases as a tart filling?

Or in place of jam in jam drops?

Blend it with cream cheese: instant lemon cheesecake, just needs a crushed biscuit base (or, uh, eat it with a spoon?).