Author Topic: USA people - missing W-2 issue...  (Read 3131 times)

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
USA people - missing W-2 issue...
« on: March 25, 2013, 06:07:29 PM »
Here it is very nearly tax due time and I'm still trying to get one of my W-2s.  There was a payroll provider change, so I don't have access to the system myself anymore (they turned off our logins during the switch), so I can't just jump in and print one out.  The IRS appears to have a procedure for this case, but it requires using pay stubs.  Well, since we were full digital (direct deposit), I don't have any pay stubs either (as they are locked up in the old system that I can't access anymore too).  The company owner is working with me, but as always, the payroll providers are very difficult to deal with.  Anyone in the know that can help me figure out what to do?  Can I just file an extension to get some more time to keep beating up on the payroll people until they will release the info I need to do my taxes?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
Re: USA people - missing W-2 issue...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:42:34 PM »
I would definitely file an extension if you don't get this sorted out in the next 2 weeks, tax day is coming up fast!  I think this is a perfect example of a situation where an extension is needed. 

Also, in the future, remember to print out your last paycheck of the year!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 06:56:59 PM »
The employer is supposed to provide these by Jan. 31.  By mid-February you want to make sure you have everything.  Odd that the company owner is aware of the issue, but can't situate it quickly.

Since you are here with a few weeks left, yes, an extension will work fine, but when you file an extension you have to pay estimated taxes due at that time.. so work up your taxes anyways based on the amount you believe you earned from that company, and send in your tax payment when you file the extension.

If you have a refund coming, no need to pay any estimated taxes when you file for the extension.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:57:38 AM »
Odd that the company owner is aware of the issue, but can't situate it quickly.

Well, it's a complicated thing...  Right at the end of the year we started having problems with the payroll company, and then the business shut down in January...

My paycheck for the beginning of December didn't even make it to me until mid-January due to the payroll company making some changes...

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:20:30 AM »
Ha!  They've been located now.  The payroll company never sent them out this year.  They just dumped them in a box of stuff that went to the owner.  He thought they went out as normal...  I guess nobody else has gotten around to having their taxes done yet.  I was the first one to bring up the fact that they were missing...  :-O

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 08:15:43 AM »
Phew, that's a relief.  Well done being on top of it. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 08:43:49 AM »
So glad you got that found in time!  I would have been all over him the first week of February, when I usually file my taxes.  Drives me nuts to wait!