Author Topic: Urgent: Shroom Help  (Read 4511 times)

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Urgent: Shroom Help
« on: August 11, 2016, 11:26:32 AM »
Now that I have your attention...

I did a construction project for a company that grows mushrooms. On top of normal payment they gave me two giant boxes of Portabello and Normal (think smaller white ones with the stems that go on pizza) mushrooms. I am going to start feasting on them tonight and through next week most likely... but I have never really cooked mushrooms before.

Please share your grandmothers super secret family recipe with me. Also willing to try any tested and delicious ones from buzzfeed or food network or wherever. They just have to be delicious.

Thank you!

- Drowning in Mushrooms

SilveradoBojangles

• Bristles
Re: Urgent: Shroom Help
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 11:45:54 AM »
I have a few for you:

Mushroom Pate
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2 portabello mushrooms, washed and chopped into 1/2 inch squares
3 cloves garlic, chooped
1 large shallot sliced
1 bay leaf
3-4 thyme sprigs
2 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1/2 cup port wine (I used the cheap tawny port from Trader Joes)
2/3 cup walnuts, toasted
pepper to taste

Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, stir fry for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, herbs, salt, pepper, and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes, until mushrooms begin to release their liquid. Add port, and simmer over low heat until mushrooms are cooked through and the liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs, and transfer to food processor. Add walnuts and 1 Tbsp of olive oil and process to a thick, uniform paste, about 4-5 minutes. Serve with bread or crackers.

Spaghetti Squash and Portabello Mushroom Stroganoff
You can also use pasta instead of spaghetti squash.

1 spaghetti squash, baked whole at 375 for 1 hour.
4 portabello mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 onion, diced.
1 tsp thyme
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup marsala (or any white wine)
1 cup beef broth (the Better than Bullion Au Jus is the best)
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup cream
1 Tbsp of sour cream or plain yogurt
salt and pepper to taste

Slice the spaghetti squash in half the long way and scoop out the seeds. Scrape out the squash strings into a bowl and set aside.

Heat butter and oil over medium low heat. Saute onions and thyme for 10 minutes, until onions are clear or beginning to brown. Deglaze the pan with the marsala, and add the broth. Add the mushrooms, and simmer for 30 minutes until mushrooms are tender and broth is reduced. Stir in cream and add the squash. Simmer for about 5-10 more minutes until squash has reached the desired tenderness. Add salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat, stir in sour cream, and serve.

A good mushroom barley soup
http://www.marthastewart.com/945291/mushroom-barley-soup

Mushroom Ragu
This is an excellent and pretty easy recipe. Great over pasta or polenta, or in a lasagna.
http://lidiasitaly.com/recipes/mushroom-ragu/

TrMama

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 11:46:13 AM »
DH's secret italian family recipe:

Saute shrooms and a couple cloves of garlic in butter and olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. A few minutes before they're done, add a couple teaspoons of red wine vinegar. Just a little, don't overdo it.

CapLimited

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 11:48:07 AM »
Portobellos and white mushrooms are excellent sauteed.  Slice them up and gently saute in half olive oil and half butter.  Medium heat is fine.  Depending on how thickly you slice them and how many you put in the pan, they will take about 15-20 minutes to get nice and soft.  Season with some salt and pepper, and throw in some chopped garlic the last couple minutes of cooking, so as not to burn the garlic.  Sauteed mushrooms will shrink quite a bit, so you can make use of a lot of them fairly quickly.  This is one of my favorite side dishes for grilled steak.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 12:19:26 PM »
My mouth is watering already, thank you!!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 12:50:26 PM »
Portobellos and white mushrooms are excellent sauteed.  Slice them up and gently saute in half olive oil and half butter.  Medium heat is fine.  Depending on how thickly you slice them and how many you put in the pan, they will take about 15-20 minutes to get nice and soft.  Season with some salt and pepper, and throw in some chopped garlic the last couple minutes of cooking, so as not to burn the garlic.  Sauteed mushrooms will shrink quite a bit, so you can make use of a lot of them fairly quickly.  This is one of my favorite side dishes for grilled steak.

My advice is along these lines with some minor modifications:

- Fuck olive oil, do this in pure butter.  About 3 or 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Slice the mushrooms thickly (about a half inch thick).  Thicker sliced mushrooms are harder to overcook and tend to have a better texture when done.
- Spread them so that they cover the bottom of your frying pan, but don't add any more than that.
- You don't need salt (plenty from the butter), pepper, or garlic.
- Keep the heat up about as high as it'll go without any smoke/burning.  - Just cook them until they're dark brown on each side (should only need to flip once).

They are wonderful on sandwiches, in pasta, on steak, on burgers, or just eaten on their own.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 01:14:47 PM »
If you want to preserve them, make Portabello mushroom jerky (marinade below for at least 4 - 8 hours).  Remove gills, slice them about an inch wide and dehydrate (or use an oven on equivalent temp - google it).  I dehydrate mine so that they are still a bit meaty inside and then just keep in the fridge - they keep a long time....well, I always eat them quickly, so I THINK they keep a long time  :)
Also, you can use the marinade, and then just grill them or fry them up like you would a steak - serve with mashed potatoes and a veggie - quick veggie dinner!

For the marinade:

3 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp chili powder
3-5 drops liquid smoke OR 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (omit to make 100% raw)
Black pepper to taste

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 01:22:44 PM »
Just a month ago we visited an uncle who’s a college biology professor.  He specializes in fauna, particularly mushrooms.  He teaches a class where they eventually take a field trip to collect, identify, and then eat wild mushrooms.  I pointed out a wild mushroom on the edge of his yard and he identified as edible.  We went inside to fry it up in butter with a touch of garlic powder.  He also brought out some of his collection of dried porcini and morel mushrooms.  Delicious.

He always jokes that when you do this, you should always leave a single sample of each piece you collected with a note saying “this is what I ate.”  That way when they find your body later, you’ve at least contributed to the catalogue of inedible plants.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 01:30:48 PM »
Just a month ago we visited an uncle who’s a college biology professor.  He specializes in fauna, particularly mushrooms.  He teaches a class where they eventually take a field trip to collect, identify, and then eat wild mushrooms.  I pointed out a wild mushroom on the edge of his yard and he identified as edible.  We went inside to fry it up in butter with a touch of garlic powder.  He also brought out some of his collection of dried porcini and morel mushrooms.  Delicious.

He always jokes that when you do this, you should always leave a single sample of each piece you collected with a note saying “this is what I ate.”  That way when they find your body later, you’ve at least contributed to the catalogue of inedible plants.

I like this post both for the joke and the characterization of mushrooms as 'fauna' instead of 'flora.' I don't think 'fauna' is accurate either, though...

SimplyMarvie

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 01:15:50 PM »
Take the stems out of the portabellos, drizzle them gills up with oil and salt and pepper (maybe a little garlic, if you're feeling adventurous) and roast them in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Then put a dollop of goat cheese/boursin/cream cheese in the middle, and return them to the oven until the cheese is melty and brown a bit on the edges.

Slice in bits with a fork and eat on with crusty bread, using the extras to mop up the juices.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 01:20:33 PM »
Put them in an insulated box and send them to me :)

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 09:52:59 AM »
No worries, the exploding rainbows of sound should subside within about 4-5 hrs, tops.

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 03:02:14 PM »
Portabello mini pizzas are my favorite :)

forestj

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 04:50:29 PM »
Mushroom gravy is one of my favorites.

1lb of mushrooms
1 onion
2-3 stalks of celery
1/4 c to 1/2 c oil/butter
about a cup of flour
bullion soup base according to the recipe on the box
black pepper & salt to taste
(optional) nutritional yeast

Chop the mushrooms into small/medium sized pieces.
Boil mushrooms, onions, and celery in enough water to cover them.
Add in a proportional amount of bullion (soup base) to match the water as if you were making a broth.
After it has boiled and the veggies are cooked, start making a big roux. If you don't know how to do this, don't worry. Just watch a youtube video on it and you should be fine.
Essentially you add a lot of fat to a pan, heat it up, and then slowly add flour and mix constantly until you get solid-ish chunks.
Add the hot mushrooms and veggies and broth into the pan with the roux, If you don't have enough space just add some of the broth. (OPTIONAL: if you have a good blender that can handle hot liquids, at this point you could blend half of the mushrooms and broth to a smooth creamy consistency)

Stir like mad!! you don't want any lumps. You surely will get some but don't stress too much about it.

After everything is combined together it will probably seem a bit thin. Don't worry, it will thicken up a lot when it cools down a bit. If it is wayyy to thin, you can mix up some corn starch with cold water and add it in to thicken it.

Now is the time you are going to add a whole Sh*t load of black pepper and similar spices to taste. You may want to add additional salt at this time as well. Stir it well and then take a taste to adjust the seasoning to your liking.

Personally I like to add a couple large spoonfuls of nutritional yeast as well. It will add to the complexity of the flavor (bitter/umami) and gives your vegan friends some b-vitamins.

The mushroom gravy will stay good in a tightly sealed plastic container in the freezer for months.

This gravy recipie was inspired by and developed after the best dish $4.50 can buy in the city: Biscuits and Gravy at the Hard Times Cafe in Minneapolis:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 04:59:55 PM by forestj »