Author Topic: Unnecessary kitchen items?  (Read 21062 times)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
Re: Unnecessary kitchen items?
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2015, 10:35:10 AM »
I've only had tiny kitchens so far and have been responsible for buying my own stuff, so I don't have too many things that don't get used regularly. I think I still have a cheapy $10 toaster from Walmart that used to get used regularly but not anymore. I have two coffee makers - your standard 12cup one and a Keurig, $15 new and free used respectively. I use my Keurig regularly then sometimes get sick of it, so I'll switch it out for the regular one, then miss it and take it out again. We have a love-hate relationship. I could get rid of one of them I suppose... but not both. See what happens if you try to take my coffee makers away from me! (Hint, the hulk could then be compared to an adorable puppy.)

My slow cooker and rice cooker get used often and I love them. I just bought a cast iron skillet which is the most amazing thing in the world. I have a huge nonstick monster which is also great. I would be lost without my monster food processor, though my small one doesn't really get used too much anymore. I'm sure if I rummage through my drawers I'd find some other things I don't use that much. I know I have a pretty set of 5 colorful spatulas. Do I need all of them? No. But I love them.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2015, 10:51:08 AM »
Haha I'm sorry, but I'm going to use this as an opportunity to share what I found in my mom's kitchen a couple weeks ago.   

I think we are sisters from another father!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2015, 10:57:24 AM »

[/quote]

It's totally different if you actually use it regularly! I have no doubts that the KA mixer is top notch (I'm not opposed to buying something of quality). Just commenting that most people that I know that buy them, generally don't use them and it seems like a waste.

Another one I thought of that seems pretty useless is the strawberry huller. Anyone actually use that regularly?
[/quote]

I read just take a straw and push it through the strawberry, never tried it so don't know if it works

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2015, 11:10:09 AM »

So, to help clean things out, can you get rid of some of the duplicates? Would she notice if you didn't tell her and she didn't see them going out?
[/quote]

I tried with tupperware items, we have a double-sided cabinet just being used for container storage, stupid and at least half probably have BPH.  There are 3 or 4 more boxes in the basement, I tried and got caught.  So if I make a move to go in the basement (door is right next to her room), she asks me what exactly I am going to do down there? Now, it's not an issue, I can't do stairs just now.  She says she wants to be clutter free, the piles of papers all over her room make me want to cry.  I tried to help, on her desk top was a huge pile of electric bills going back to '92 for a house she no longer owns. I could not throw these out.  This kind of thing makes me nuts and I admit, we do not work well together on her clutter.  Several friends and her sister are helping her slowly on her room when they visit.  I can't comprehend saying you want to die in the most beautiful bedroom you've ever had but it is ruined by piles of papers and junk.  I know it's a mental illness, I can handle it with other people, but she is my mom and I respect her, so if she pitches a fit and cries over those electric bills, is it worth even bringing it up?  It's not, as long as her friends can

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »
I have limited appliances...but I have a stand mixer, food processor, and toaster oven and you will get them away from me when you rip them from my cold dead hands! It so depends on how you cook...I don't have an ice cream maker, panini press, or espresso maker, for instance.

The toaster oven is the only oven worth using in the summer time.

tstorer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2016, 10:20:04 AM »
Our microwave died and after several months we realized we didn't need to replace it.

No big freezer, just three freezer drawers in a fridge/freezer. Actually I think a big standalone freezer would save money on food in the long term, but we don't have room for one!

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »
Or just don't bake at all, which is mostly what I do.

The psychiatrist bill if I didn't bake would far out weigh any kitchen savings!  ;)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2016, 12:17:36 PM »
Necessary: Instant Pot, Kitchen Aid, Oxo mandoline/grater, 10" cast iron skillet, 5" nonstick skillet, Pyrex bowls of various sizes.

Seems silly but necessary: George Foreman grill (cooks bacon without setting off smoke detector!), Magic Bullet (delicious kefir smoothies on demand and practically free!), IKEA SKÄRANDE knife sharpener (because my my ice skates hold their edges better than my knives).

Pretty silly but still use: Bread machine

Definitely silly: A device that makes homemade marshmallow Peeps, all-in-one breakfast maker (both inherited with the furnished apartment). Never used either one, but don't want to throw out because they're not actually mine to toss.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2016, 12:28:39 PM »
French fry slicer (it seemed like a good idea at the time, I don't know why, I don't even like french fries)
Stoneware beer can chicken roaster. I used it once.
Pineapple corer

I would give up my regular oven before I'd part with my convection toaster oven though. I just love that little guy.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2016, 01:00:12 PM »
Necessary: Instant Pot, Kitchen Aid, Oxo mandoline/grater, 10" cast iron skillet, 5" nonstick skillet, Pyrex bowls of various sizes.

Seems silly but necessary: George Foreman grill (cooks bacon without setting off smoke detector!), Magic Bullet (delicious kefir smoothies on demand and practically free!), IKEA SKÄRANDE knife sharpener (because my my ice skates hold their edges better than my knives).

Pretty silly but still use: Bread machine

Definitely silly: A device that makes homemade marshmallow Peeps, all-in-one breakfast maker (both inherited with the furnished apartment). Never used either one, but don't want to throw out because they're not actually mine to toss.

Today I learned you can buy a mold to make homemade Peeps and now I want one (I adore Peeps, because I am secretly five).

http://food52.com/blog/10116-how-to-make-homemade-marshmallow-peeps

ponyespresso

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2016, 02:27:55 PM »
The Instant Pot electric pressure cooker is a fantastic small electric appliance; in addition to providing push button automatic & fast PC cooking, it can also function as a slow cooker, rice cooker, sauté pan, soup pot, popcorn popper, & yogurt maker. In PC mode, it keeps the kitchen cool & saves energy.  It has a stainless steel inner pot & you can get an extra, good for making rice or veggies in the PC without having to empty the first pot, which also can go on the stovetop. DS is in his first apartment & the Instant Pot is his only small appliance, which takes little room on the counter. I recommend the 6 quart size & the newer Duo model, available from Amazon.

+1 for the Instant Pot. My husband got me one for Xmas thinking it was a rice cooker, but it's so much more than that! I was skeptical at first, as I already own a pressure cooker and a crock pot. I use the Instant Pot all the time now. My beloved old school pressure cooker is now gathering dust. also, that's a great idea to get an extra pot -- that would be handy for the days I want to make some rice to go along with whatever I've cooked up in the I.P.

stuff I don't use that I still haven't gotten rid of but should: loaf pans. ravioli thingies. Italian stovetop coffee maker. egg poacher pan (whenever I talk about getting rid of it, hubby says he'll use it. then uses it once and forgets). I went through a lot of kitchen stuff last fall after reading Magical Art of Tidying but I probably need to do that exercise again to see what sparks joy!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2016, 02:36:50 PM »
As everyone has said - Instant Pot. You really could replace most of your cookware with this thing (or two lol) based on what I've seen. We probably have way to much kitchen crap -more utensils than we probably need (courtesy of my parents mostly). We got a new set of SS cookware (Tramontina Member's Mark from Sams Club) that we've been making good use of though. Then my cast iron stuff. And a variety of baking pans/sheets/etc.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2016, 04:55:19 PM »
I have never been into kitchen gadgets and I don't bake now that my kids are grown. However, I ended up buying a food processor because my shoulder started to hurt from chopping things. I bought a bread machine and everyone loved the bread for about the first 6 months. Then they wanted store bought so it sits in the closet. I never used an electric can opener but then bought one after cutting myself badly on a can that was stubborn with the hand opener. I love my coffeepot and toaster. My microwave is both also a convection oven and regular oven which I love. I also have a crockpot and that is it. WE have tried various gadgets thru the years (not a lot ) but most ended up being given away.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2016, 05:00:01 PM »
I sold my rice and slow cookers and bought an InstantPot because of this forum.

I have a lot of kitchen gadgets and I use them. Anyone else have a cookie press here?