Author Topic: Universal Men's^H^H^H^H^HPet grooming device?  (Read 2955 times)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Universal Men's^H^H^H^H^HPet grooming device?
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:53:39 AM »

Ok, for years before it was cool (?) I have been undergoing the Universal Men's grooming device treatment... and I have been also using the same device for my dogs.

However, I have one dog that just has so much thick, fine hair... my Wal-Mart Wahl is just not cutting it.  I don't know if he has gotten hairier over time or what... but it's just not working anymore.  I can put new blades on... and that will get me about one more cut, but then I'm back to square 1.

Does anyone have a good "buy it for life" recommendation for a bullet proof set of pet shears?  I'm willing to spend a bit more if they'll last me longer.

Owl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Universal Men's^H^H^H^H^HPet grooming device?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:16:57 AM »
I have a pet specific one, made by Andis that I got at Target. I am not sure if it's substantially different from the Wahl, though. I do have to pull the hair off the comb frequently while cutting, but other than that it works fine..
Maybe you need to oil the shaver after each cut?

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 11:48:11 AM »
I got a $150 or so Andis pet clipper (on Amazon, paid closer to $85) and some different length blades. The pet ones are built differently than the human ones, as pets have a lot more and a lot thicker hair than humans.  I've been able to do touch-up work on my cockerdoodle in between her twice a year groomer visit, saving me about $45 each time.

So my recommendation is to read up all the reviews and get one off Amazon. And make sure you oil the blade after each use!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 11:56:30 AM »
I definitely oil the blade before and after each use.

The Wahl I have works fine on my terrier mix.  But... NOT on the long haired wiener dog.  He has a very thick, fine undercoat.  I tried pulling the hair out every couple of seconds...  but he just has too much hair for the blade to take.

Yesterday we ended up cutting him with scissors ... and it doesn't look too pretty.  It turns out: he doesn't really care.  But I'd like to find a better solution.