Author Topic: Unexpected Expenses During a Move/home purchase?  (Read 1950 times)

ginjaninja

• Bristles
    • My Journal
Unexpected Expenses During a Move/home purchase?
« on: October 14, 2019, 09:09:35 AM »
Hi MMM community,

What are some of the unexpected expenses that you found during a move or home purchase?

I know that there are fees from the actual home buying process (inspection, appraisal, closing costs, lender fees, etc.).

Then there is furniture if you have never lived anywhere unfurnished. Also decorations.  Shower curtains, window coverings.

Potential for purchasing appliances too (washer/dryer, refrigerator, dishwasher, etc.) depending on what is already included in the home. 

Stocking kitchen essentials (spices, oil, flour, etc.) that are infrequent food expenses.

What am I missing from my list that I should plan for?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Unexpected Expenses During a Move/home purchase?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 09:12:56 AM »
Everything on your list, plus I'd just create a slush fund for more meals out than usual. You can do your best & plan, but we went several days without having all of the items we needed unpacked, and found getting quick takeout or delivery  meals easiest. Generally, for a week or so, if your finances are not incredibly tight, plan to throw money at problems like food, to make your life easier.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 09:33:33 AM »
If it's not already in your budget, repairs. Things get missed during inspections all the time (or defects are deliberately concealed). Even if the seller throws in a home warranty, those come with many exclusions. We also changed all the locks immediately.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 09:43:12 AM »
Tools.  Lawnmower, weedwacker, hedge trimmer, edger, leaf blower, rakes/shovels, etc. Around-the-house tools too, if you're a DIY sort. Plumbing, electrical, drywall, paint...

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 09:49:40 AM »
If it's not already in your budget, repairs. Things get missed during inspections all the time (or defects are deliberately concealed). Even if the seller throws in a home warranty, those come with many exclusions. We also changed all the locks immediately.
Plus, your usage patterns may be different from the previous owners as well. The ejector pump in my finished basement broke in my first year of ownership. I'm pretty sure the original owners almost never used the basement bathroom, whereas I was using it daily as my "master bath" (keeping the main floor bathroom pristine for guests). Put a lot more wear & tear on the pump than it had gotten previously.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 10:06:02 AM »
As mentioned, tools, which can get very pricey, especially if you are starting from scratch (basic screwdrivers, etc.).

Also, every time we move (which is fairly often), there are little things.  An extra trash can.  An entry mat.  A new area rug because the old one doesn't fit in a smaller space. Getting a spare key made. A closet dowel and hanging pieces because you need an extra bar in the tiny closet.  New toilet brushes.  Whatever.  Just lots of little things, some of which are fairly necessary and others of which are just really nice to have.

And if you are someone who likes to have you home Just So, then hundreds or probably thousands on the right floor lap to go in a specific space and a vase the right shape to go in that nook and wall hangings of some kind to go on that long wall in the entry, and...  These are the ones that can fairly easily be kept in check, but that you have to watch carefully if so included.  They are also the ones that you can actually budget for.  If you've spent your numbers, you don't buy.  But again, you have to have that number set ahead of time and track that you don't overspend. 

Also, I can't recommend enough seeing if you new neighborhood has a Buy Nothing group on Facebook.  In mine, the most generous things are given away almost daily and it is ideal for someone moving. 

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 10:22:21 AM »
Utility deposits & connection fees. New location utilities don't always consider your previous history elsewhere. Those that are refundable can take a year, assuming on time payments.

Mover expense can grow to be larger than estimated if your move has more stuff or involves flights of stairs.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »
Plus, your usage patterns may be different from the previous owners as well. The ejector pump in my finished basement broke in my first year of ownership. I'm pretty sure the original owners almost never used the basement bathroom, whereas I was using it daily as my "master bath" (keeping the main floor bathroom pristine for guests). Put a lot more wear & tear on the pump than it had gotten previously.

Yep. Our very first load of laundry after moving in, water started spraying everywhere. The standpipe was grimy and needed to be cleaned out, but it had never posed a problem for the sellers because their washer used less water than our ancient top-loader.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 11:08:19 AM »
Lawn care equipment. Gas can and extension cords (if you use a trimmer) too.

Outside trash cans if they don't leave theirs and the neighborhood doesn't provide.

Window coverings.

Shower curtains, picture hangers, etc (go to the dollar store for cheap stuff until you figure out what exactly you want).

For basic furniture, check thrift/consignment stores.

Tools definitely.

Paint (check the oops sections for cheap options - I've found BEAUTIFUL expensive paint discounted to almost nothing because it wasn't exactly the right shade for the other guy). Paint trays from the dollar store and cheap sheets from goodwill for drop cloths but get good brushes/rollers if you do it yourself.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 11:10:12 AM by Frankies Girl »

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 11:39:10 AM »
Within about 6 months of moving in, I'd expect at least one major system (furnace, AC, water heater, roof, etc.) to have a malfunction.

At my first house, the seller had a home warranty which basically meant that a repair guy would come, collect the $100 co-pay, and fix the issue just enough to get things working for about 2 months at which point the cycle would repeat. For my second house, I just paid out of pocket and had things fixed right the first time.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 11:56:27 AM »
Within about 6 months of moving in, I'd expect at least one major system (furnace, AC, water heater, roof, etc.) to have a malfunction.

At my first house, the seller had a home warranty which basically meant that a repair guy would come, collect the $100 co-pay, and fix the issue just enough to get things working for about 2 months at which point the cycle would repeat. For my second house, I just paid out of pocket and had things fixed right the first time.

Ah yep. I found a leaking water heater on my final walkthrough and ended up getting a nice chunk of cash to replace it. I'm glad I was paying attention!

lentil

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 12:26:37 PM »
As mentioned, tools, which can get very pricey, especially if you are starting from scratch (basic screwdrivers, etc.).

My town has a tool library, where a yearly membership fee covers the borrowing of all kinds of tools (screwdrivers on up). I realize this is very much an "it depends on where you live" thing, but on the off-chance that something similar exists in your area, it could save a lot during the first few years of home ownership. Otherwise, estate sales can be a great place to pick up tools.

The biggest unexpected expense when we bought our current house was that our move-in date got pushed back by factors beyond our control. Previous lease was up, so we had to cover interim housing. I also agree with the advice to budget something extra for convenience foods while moving.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 12:30:34 PM »
We discovered that our dryer cord wouldn't plug into the house hubbell plug -- apparently there are 2 versions. We ended up buying & wiring a new dryer cord because the house is a temporary rental, wiring the cord was easier, and it is current code. We'll be moving to a house we're building and we've made sure that its hubbell plug matches our new dryer cord.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 01:05:47 PM »
Basically, walk from room to room and imagine all the basic stuff you need to make that room habitable - window coverings (this was always a huge expense - never seemed to be anything functional in place), furniture that you don't already own, trashcans, lamps, shower curtain, bathmats, door mats, tools,  lawn care stuff, etc. etc. The list is surprisingly long and adds up to thousands sometimes.

Repairs- there will be several unexpected and more expensive than you think they should be. This is pretty much universally the case.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 01:24:09 PM »
PTF because I might be moving soon.   2 expenses I can think of that I didn't see above are:

- the cost of unfreezing your credit if it is frozen

-if you have to take some time off from your job without pay because of the move.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 06:26:41 PM »
If your move means a change of schools for child(ren), then costs of new supplies. Some teachers require certain kinds of notebooks, our local schools require polo shirts of specific color for each grade, etc.

Initial costs for your new commute: cost of new transit pass, bike locker rental, etc.

Possibly higher car insurance and fuel costs depending on where you move to.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 07:22:37 PM »
PTF because I might be moving soon.   2 expenses I can think of that I didn't see above are:
- the cost of unfreezing your credit if it is frozen

This should be free now. Thaw as needed.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 08:53:26 AM »
I would personally just set aside a good chunk of change to cover whatever comes up. Couple thousand easily. If you don't need it, cool.

Also ran into costs associated with new drivers license and car registration (changed states).