Author Topic: Underwear recommendations for super active people  (Read 8222 times)

tungsten

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Underwear recommendations for super active people
« on: June 26, 2018, 07:08:16 PM »
I bike commute 10 miles/day and am involved in other strenuous physical activities (jiu jitsu, backpacking etc) in a very warm part of the US.  Cotton is not ideal because it takes a long time to dry and, well, I'm a sweaty dude.
2 years ago I bought 7 pairs of these synthetic boxers and they've been awesome, unfortunately those were my pre-mustachian days and they are $22.50 a pair. $150+ for 7 pairs of underwear seems excessive and they are due to be replaced.   https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/workwear/buck-naked-underwear/67019.aspx?processor=content

Base layers are important for everyone of course, so women should feel free to trade knowledge here too.

Anyone else have less expensive recommendations that you've been happy with? 

Thanks!
Tungsten

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Underwear recommendations for super active people
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 07:16:51 PM »
ExOfficio boxer briefs are also pretty good for hiking/outdoors.  But also pretty spendy at $23/pair currently: https://amzn.to/2N1tiMw

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 07:20:53 PM »
AIRism from UNIQLO

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 07:21:35 PM »
I'm team commando. Just bike shorts. I even wear the ones without the padding for almost every sporty activity I do. They are also fabulous to wear under dresses.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:35:27 PM »
ExOfficio boxer briefs are also pretty good for hiking/outdoors.  But also pretty spendy at $23/pair currently: https://amzn.to/2N1tiMw

That's what I have. They're great.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 08:39:37 PM »

+1 but a woman here. ExOfficio is awesome, keeps its stretch, and dries fast. I have two pairs I've had since I went abroad my sophomore year of high school. I'm nearly 30. Highly recommended.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 09:22:23 PM »
Another +1 for ExOfficio. The price is worth it to me because they last so long. If you get the sport mesh version they have a fantastic pocket for your Frank&beans that makes them a total pleasure to wear.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 09:31:22 PM »
Another +1 for ExOfficio. The price is worth it to me because they last so long. If you get the sport mesh version they have a fantastic pocket for your Frank&beans that makes them a total pleasure to wear.

Even the frugalwoods do ExOfficio, according to their "10 shockingly expensive things we own" list. https://www.frugalwoods.com/2014/11/10/10-shockingly-expensive-things-we-own/

joestash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Underwear recommendations for super active people
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 09:59:10 PM »
I’m ExOfficio as well but the REI brand are about half the price and almost as good, IMO.

BTW, I had a couple pair of the Duluth ones and I much prefer ExOfficio and REI to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 09:12:05 AM »
ExOfficio Flyless Briefs 100% :)

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 09:27:34 AM »
Under Armour boxerjocks for me. Also quite expensive unfortunately.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 09:29:11 AM »
Duluth trading Buck naked are comfortable, but the seams end up chafing my thighs.  The Duluth Bullpen and Armachillo are both awesome and similar to exoffico.  Meundies are also great.  For anything active I default to Under Armour compression shorts.

This is one of those areas where spending the money can be a good thing assuming the quality and comfort is there. 

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »
I bought several pairs of the duluth trading boxer briefs on sale at $12.50-$14/pr. Sign up for their emails to watch for sales, I think I have seen some recently. We do a lot of hiking and other outdoor activities and mine don't seem to be wearing out at 3+ yrs old. I have been tempted by some merino wool boxer briefs, but have not pulled the trigger yet. I have some other fancy base layers that I bought on sale but were still a significant amount of money.

I will have to check out the exofficio mentioned as well.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 12:43:43 PM »
Yup. Buck Nakeds go on sale periodically and you can get them between $9 and $12 a pair.

I got 8 pair for $80 a few months back.

kandj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 01:27:49 PM »
I'm honestly a little shocked to see ExOfficio recommended so many times. I've got several pairs that I bought either 4 or 1 year ago and all of them have horrible stretch, as in the banding is fraying? Plus little stretchy bits that have been hanging out for a long time but I keep wearing them. They are nice for breath-ability and quick drying but I wouldn't say I would recommend them.

My husband and I are both firm believers of Patagonia's underwear, but it is a bit pricey still. Going to check out some of the other suggestions from here :)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 01:30:11 PM »
y'all wear underwear?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 01:30:54 PM »
I'm honestly a little shocked to see ExOfficio recommended so many times. I've got several pairs that I bought either 4 or 1 year ago and all of them have horrible stretch, as in the banding is fraying? Plus little stretchy bits that have been hanging out for a long time but I keep wearing them. They are nice for breath-ability and quick drying but I wouldn't say I would recommend them.

My husband and I are both firm believers of Patagonia's underwear, but it is a bit pricey still. Going to check out some of the other suggestions from here :)

Out of curiosity, did you order it on Amazon? I've heard some high end clothes items have sub par knockoffs (usually chinese factory dupes or rejects) sold under the same SKU. I always worry about buying clothes and certain electronics from Amazon. =\

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 01:33:51 PM »
Any women's suggestions that aren't granny panties? Mainly looking for wicking/travel.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 01:37:41 PM »
Any women's suggestions that aren't granny panties? Mainly looking for wicking/travel.

The exofficios I have don't look granny panty at all =) There's called the "give-n-go string bikini" https://www.exofficio.com/give-n-go-string-bikini/2241-1129.html?dwvar_2241-1129_size=000006M&dwvar_2241-1129_color=9999&cgid=womens_underwear#start=1 At one point for hiking, I really preferred a "boy shorts" fit, and I still have a couple pairs I'll use sometimes- no idea on brand, the tag came off ages ago. I got them at TJ Maxx though, so god only knows.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »
My wife loves Patagucci

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 02:35:35 PM »
If you are wearing chamios cycling shorts when biking:  I did not know this until a few years ago:  better with no underwear.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/411263-do-you-wear-underwear-under-cycling-shorts/

kandj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 12:28:50 PM »

Out of curiosity, did you order it on Amazon? I've heard some high end clothes items have sub par knockoffs (usually chinese factory dupes or rejects) sold under the same SKU. I always worry about buying clothes and certain electronics from Amazon. =\

My husband works at an outdoor retail store so we bought it directly from ExOfficio.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 12:31:04 PM »

My husband works at an outdoor retail store so we bought it directly from ExOfficio.

Oh WOW! I don't have any idea then. I hope their quality didn't go downhill =( There's an irony that everything well made, by the time I need to buy it again, seems to be being made cheaply.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 01:01:54 PM »
I bike commute 10 miles/day and am involved in other strenuous physical activities (jiu jitsu, backpacking etc) in a very warm part of the US.  Cotton is not ideal because it takes a long time to dry and, well, I'm a sweaty dude.
2 years ago I bought 7 pairs of these synthetic boxers and they've been awesome, unfortunately those were my pre-mustachian days and they are $22.50 a pair. $150+ for 7 pairs of underwear seems excessive and they are due to be replaced.   https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/workwear/buck-naked-underwear/67019.aspx?processor=content

Base layers are important for everyone of course, so women should feel free to trade knowledge here too.

Anyone else have less expensive recommendations that you've been happy with? 

Thanks!
Tungsten

Per the Ex-officios that so many have recommended here:

I have a pair of what I think are give-and-gos which are great; comfortable and useful for travel.  However, I more recently got what I think is the sports mesh, and it sucks; rides up my legs too easily resulting in chafe, and I find the feel too uncomfortable for wearing while sleeping.

I don't know how long the give-and-gos last, and would be curious of others experience. I've had mine for 10 years, but only where them for travel so maybe 10-20 days per year.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 04:05:24 PM »
If they're riding up your legs you need to drop a size. I started out in XLs and never had this problem. I'm now 20 pounds lighter and the XLs ride up, though when I first put them on they still look like they fit. I have two pairs in a L now and neight ride up. I've had both the regulars and the sport mesh type in both sizes.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 04:09:13 PM »
As far as how long the ExOfficios last, I rotate through 3 pair and was 2 years in before having to buy my first pair in a smaller size. The ones I'd had for two years were still in such great shape that I donated them, after washing of course.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 05:55:29 PM »
I use ExOfficio and Patagonia but I buy them when REI has a sale a couple at a time.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 02:17:55 PM »
If they're riding up your legs you need to drop a size. I started out in XLs and never had this problem. I'm now 20 pounds lighter and the XLs ride up, though when I first put them on they still look like they fit. I have two pairs in a L now and neight ride up. I've had both the regulars and the sport mesh type in both sizes.

The issue I find with these compression type shorts is that when I go smaller than I currently do, I find the way it squeezes my equipment to be uncomfortable.  I typically wear a large; I'm 5'10" 170 lbs; somewhere in between slim athletic build and a little beefier than that.

I went did a little google searching, and found out something interesting.  Apparently Ex Officio switched their material/design at some point in the past decade or so.  This pissed off some people.  I likely have the old material, which I definitely prefer.  The new materials are apparently thinner and probably more compressing/form fitting.

I should probably give a new pair of give-and-gos a try some time, but I can definitely say that I dislike the sports mesh.

bas5252

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2018, 06:10:22 PM »
For the women.....I like ExOfficio alot, but Fruit of the Loom breathable panties ($12 for a pack of 4) are just about as good. 

ZMonet

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 08:36:49 AM »
I love the Adidas Performance Climate Underwear.  Costs about $9/each and these seem to last forever.  I've washed these a hundred times and they still look/function like new.  I also like how they don't ride up on my relatively thick thighs.  Almost 2000 reviews on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/adidas-Performance-Climalite-Underwear-Indigo/dp/B00QG7XCPG

I haven't tried ExOfficio so can't compare.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2018, 08:45:16 AM »
I love the Adidas Performance Climate Underwear.  Costs about $9/each and these seem to last forever.  I've washed these a hundred times and they still look/function like new.  I also like how they don't ride up on my relatively thick thighs.  Almost 2000 reviews on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/adidas-Performance-Climalite-Underwear-Indigo/dp/B00QG7XCPG

I haven't tried ExOfficio so can't compare.

My husband has big thighs (lots of olympic lifting), and he really likes his Climalites. I pick them up when they come on sale at Costco. He likes the fit of them a lot better than the 1 pair of ExOfficio's he tried- I think those are designed for a smaller leg.

For the women.....I like ExOfficio alot, but Fruit of the Loom breathable panties ($12 for a pack of 4) are just about as good. 

Good tip, thank you! I'll look into those.

Grogounet

• Bristles
    • http://www.quest2independence.com
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2018, 07:44:04 PM »
AIRism from UNIQLO

+ 1 the most effective ones
Only buy them and extreme good value for money

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
Why not just change your underwear when it gets sweaty? That's what I do. I'm also quite active and live in a hot place, so I go through 2 or 3 pairs a day during the summer. But a bit of work and a little more laundry is a better option than dropping $10-20 a pair for a set of all-new underwear.

Alternatively, ask your significant other (or mother!) to give you the fancy stuff on birthdays/Christmas.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 08:19:02 AM »
Why not just change your underwear when it gets sweaty? That's what I do. I'm also quite active and live in a hot place, so I go through 2 or 3 pairs a day during the summer. But a bit of work and a little more laundry is a better option than dropping $10-20 a pair for a set of all-new underwear.

One word. Travel.

I don't want to bring 9 pairs of underwear to go camping for a weekend. Nor do I want to bring 21 pairs for a month long vacation and have to wash them multiple times. What do you do, bring extra undies with you places? I'm so confused by this.

Besides 3 for $15 is close enough to 1 for $15 isn't it?

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2018, 04:08:15 PM »

One word. Travel.

I don't want to bring 9 pairs of underwear to go camping for a weekend. Nor do I want to bring 21 pairs for a month long vacation and have to wash them multiple times. What do you do, bring extra undies with you places? I'm so confused by this.

Yes, bring extra pairs. I'm not sure what is so confusing. It's a pretty small thing to pack. If you're like most people, you already have some underwear at an effective price of $0.

But hey, if you have the extra cash and want to spend it on fancy underwear, I won't stop you.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2018, 07:46:53 AM »

One word. Travel.

Yes, bring extra pairs. I'm not sure what is so confusing. It's a pretty small thing to pack. If you're like most people, you already have some underwear at an effective price of $0.

But hey, if you have the extra cash and want to spend it on fancy underwear, I won't stop you.

With a suitcase this is fine. But, have you gone backpacking before? Also, you're relying on returning to the place where the underwear is being kept to change them, or carrying them around with you somehow. Being active usually requires also carrying as little as possible, unless you want to strain yourself over time.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:48:44 AM by DS »

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2018, 09:15:49 AM »
I do the ExOfficio boxer briefs as well, and they've worked great.  As others have noted, very spendy like the Duluth underwear you cite; I have managed to always purchase them for $11-15 each, through various sales and specials.  Still not the most economical option, but I'm happy with them. 

chowdan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2018, 01:12:36 PM »
Probably not what most mustachian's would recommend, but I use strictly Smartwool Merino 150 Micro Stripe Boxer Brief. At $45/pair they aren't cheap, but for me they are FAR worth the money.

I have been traveling for 17 months, carrying 2 pairs with me as my sole underwear. I've lived out of a backpack for over 6 months while the remaining was out of my car. I returned to Seattle to work and picked up my third pair at REI on sale. They haven't worn out, nor have they had any odor issues. I am able to wear them multiple days on end without having issues(up to 6 days a week before I wash them). Each person is different, but after the day's over, hang them up, let them "air dry" so bacteria can't negatively affect them(odor wise).

I also have switched to merino wool shirts and socks for the exact reason. Sure I have $500-$800 in merino clothing over 8-12 items, but considering that is all my wardrobe is and they have lasted 17+ months now, I am never going back to cotton.

nalor511

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2018, 05:39:39 PM »
You can get a 3 pack of Hanes X temp boxer briefs from Marshalls or Ross for $7 or so. They're about 3 times as expensive at Target, but still 3 pairs for the price you paid for 1 at Duluth

frugalfinancehippy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Finance Hippy
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2018, 08:11:31 PM »
$22 a year for good comfortable underwear that don’t drive you crazy is probably worth it. It’s one thing where I’ve tried to go cheaper and ended up spending more money in the end because the cheap ones sucked and then I still had to buy the good ones. Just my 2 cents