Author Topic: UK low cost mobile phone advice?  (Read 4493 times)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
UK low cost mobile phone advice?
« on: November 20, 2013, 11:17:46 AM »
I know there is wealth of information available here for low cost cell phone plans in the US and Canada. 

Are any UK Mustachians willing to share any tips on lowest cost plans in the UK (Scotland specifically)?  My child's expensive contract ends in January so it's time to switch to something more reasonable.  She does a ton of texting, a bit of calling and some data.  The phone is an older iPhone (3, I believe).

Thanks in advance.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: UK low cost mobile phone advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »
Have you looked at http://giffgaff.com/ - I've heard they are good.

Or just use PAYG - I have a Vodafone SIM that I put a tenner on when I'm in the UK, and then get a Freedom Freebie for that amount (I think).

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:13:25 AM »
Giffgaff are really cheap. They've had a couple of outages in the past year, but I don't think any more than other networks. Didn't affect me as I'm generally bathed in WiFi most of the time. They have different 'plans' that operate a bit like a contract but really it's just like an automatic top-up which you can cancel when you like. Or there's good PAYG rates too. I use the £10 monthly goodybag which has 500 mins to UK phones/mobiles, unlimited text and 1GB data per month and free calls to other giffgaff numbers. If she really doesn't use much data, you could try the £7.50 one and see how you get on. Less data and mins but unlimited texts still.

If you decide they're for you, I would appreciate you using this link. I get £5 credit and so do you.

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/lizfish2

Happy shopping, and congratulations on nearing the end of what is probably an eye-watering monthly contract! ;-)

***Mods. I did check the rules and it just says no spam. Which this is not intended to be. Please feel free to remove if I have stepped over the virtual line***

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:35:45 AM »
Thank you very much!  1 GB of data should work just fine for her.  She uses wi-fi most of the time anyway.  I sent her the link so she'll probably switch when she is back at university in January.

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 01:24:40 AM »
You're welcome. I hope she gets on with them fine and enjoys her substantially lower costs!

Edited to add: make sure she checks the coverage (home and uni) they run on the O2 network so if that works then it should be fine. If she's not on O2 now she might need to get the phone unlocked but they have loads of advice on that.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:31:02 AM by lizfish »