Author Topic: U.S. Citizen travelling/renting in Canada for 6 months question  (Read 6365 times)

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
Deleted
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:37:33 AM by spartypants »

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
Re: U.S. Citizen travelling/renting in Canada for 6 months question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 11:19:13 PM »
All of this is legal to my knowledge, based on my experience with American boyfriend staying in Canada for a summer. As for car insurance it might depend on your provider. fwiw, when I went to the states for 6 months I didn't need any additional vehicle insurance.

Renting a place depends completely on where you are planning to stay. Calgary would be easy. In fact, if you will be in Canada any time between mid-September and August 2018 and want to stay in Calgary you can rent my house for cheap. I'll be away almost all of the time. Anywhere where vacancy rates are low the biggest problem may be finding someone to agree to a 6 month lease. Certainly doable.

Dogs shouldn't have any problem, with updated shots and medical records. I can only speak for crossing the border the opposite direction, but I had all the records and the border guys didn't ask for any of it.

They just wanted proof I had enough money to support myself, and proof that I had a reason to return to Canada (home ownership).

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 01:25:58 AM »
I don't know what the time limit is on being inside Canada.

For the time you are in Canada, you can freely travel amongst all provinces and territories, yes.

While you're permitted here, I'm pretty sure you're free to become a regular tenant. Like Cookie78 said, though, areas with very low vacancy rates (and there are lots of those) will make it harder to find a six-month term. You might look for housesits or sublets. But with dogs, housesits, sublets, and regular rentals are all harder to come by.

Some landlords are totally cool re: ER, sabbaticals, students, etc. Some only want people who go to work 40 hours per week. Again, the more vacancies in a town, the higher your chances; the fewer vacancies...your chances plummet, like with the many homeless professionals.

What about an RV? A home for you and your dogs, can drive to the available spots or boondock...

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 04:35:31 AM »
Not directly related to the original question but I would add...
Canadian immigration needs to be convinced of:

Your ability to support yourself - Bank statements may be helpful or credit cards credit lines.
You will not be working  - Don't bring resumes or tools of a trade.
Your ties with the US - Showing your center of life is the US.  Also any signs you are fleeing the US for some reason.
Your willingness to leave when your trip is over - Proof of outward travel helps.  They may want your schedule and where you will be staying.
Your having no criminal record.

It is up to them to grant entry or not, they can also limit the time to less than 6 months.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:02:56 AM by jim555 »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 09:28:01 AM »
Oh gosh, winter in ski towns... These are notorious for not having enough [reasonably-priced] accommodation even for their workers. So, an expensive rental. Some have RV parking near them, but you'd want your vehicle to be one that can keep you warm. Might be worth posting a thread re: "cheap accommodation ski towns Canada?" or "beautiful high vacancy areas Canada?".

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 05:06:33 PM »
Two of the ski towns mentioned in the thread (and six others in BC and Alberta) I'm super familiar with. I or friends have lived at them, or attempted to keep or get housing in. But, if it's a "money's no object" sort of opportunity, you're in a different boat, yes :)   Vacancy rate issues generally apply to those of us trying to spend under $2k/mo.

Rentals in those areas are usually advertised:
*on Craigslist
*inside the brains of property managers
*on local (physical) bulletin boards
*via networks (FB, neighbourhood email lists)

Craigslist per community can help give you a sense of which have zero places on offer vs 50. That might help you narrow places down.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »
Short answer: Yes, upon entering Canada you can stay and play for a maximum of 6 months.

As someone else mentioned you must be able to prove that you have ties to the USA - cell phone bills etc... also proof that you have the $$ to stay in Canada for the time you are planning. Proof of medical coverage for the entire time is also a good idea. If you have lined up a rental place by then also print out the details.

These things show the Immigration officer that you are prepared to stay a certain length of time, you have a plan and you have the cash to do it.

You may be put on a "visitor record" which is a way to track your entry/exit from Canada. It is just a form and nothing to worry about.

Don't bring any guns/holsters/ammunition (unless it is a rifle and you will be hunting)
Don't bring any medication without it being in the proper bottles (with YOUR name on them) or even better bring a copy of your prescriptions (valid).
Don't bring any illegal substances across the border.
If you have pepper spray - it HAS to have a dog pictured on it and you use it for that purpose only (or a bear if you are going north/west) - however even then you are better to leave yours at home and buy some here. It is a hassle at the border and will lead to delays.

If you have a criminal record - including DUI's/OWI's/Assault/ and many others .... these are all felonies in Canada you cannot come to Canada ... if in doubt go to the Government of Canada website
www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

Happy travels!!! :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 06:17:10 PM »
I just found you a nice place, Spartana :)
A rarity in Rossland, a cute, happy town with awesome (sporty, smart, and artsy) people and a ski hill.
$1600/mo, all inclusive (even a cat!), Aug-April.
Dogs allowed.
https://kootenays.craigslist.ca/apa/6179321888.html

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 06:44:25 PM »
I don't want to derail spartana's thread, but this topic got me wondering about my ttavel to CMC plans.

I plan to buy a one way ticket to Montreal on one airline, then return from Buffalo on another airline 2 weeks later.

Am I going to run into issues with immigration when I first arrive in Montreal?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:07:23 PM by Daisy »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 06:58:07 PM »
Just realized the home I got you is too long for your six-months maximum :(

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 05:47:12 AM »
I've done this before as a US citizen with a dog. You need your dog's rabies certificate. At the border, they usually ask about "where", "why", "how long", and the usual contraband questions (guns, pepperspray, etc). My dog's food was confiscated one year because apparently chicken ingredients were an issue; you can check their current list of importing dog food requirements.

I've never had to show proof of income or been detained for further information (passport has always been sufficient). As long as you're clear that you'll be travelling around as a tourist and will not exceed 6 months, that's generally fine, and tons of snowbirds do the same. Enjoy!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 06:05:00 AM »
Rabies certificate both directions, for sure.  I have never been asked for anything but rabies for Missy, but they always want to see that.  Dog food in original bag is usually OK.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 06:16:38 AM »
The dog food has to be made in America. And yes, the rabies certificate--not just the tag on the dog.

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 09:34:06 AM »
Interesting tip about dog food. Good to know as I generally don't have it in its original container. What happens if you cross the border, stay a month or two, then cross back to the US for a few days and want to go back into Canada for awhile again? Does that re-set your 6 month max allowable stay date or does your original "get out of Canada" exit date still apply? Can you go back and forth like that easily and fairly often? I know you can do that to Mexico and its no problem.

The Canadian and American governments tell each other about when citizens of either country cross the boarder. A big part of this was to ensure that either country could levy income tax on individuals that overstay the 182 day limit.

For clarity, the USA knows when you return to the USA and informs the Canadian Government of that fact. The Canadian government tells the USA when you enter Canada.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 01:58:37 PM »
I don't want to derail spartana's thread, but this topic got me wondering about my ttavel to CMC plans.

I plan to buy a one way ticket to Montreal on one airline, then return from Buffalo on another airline 2 weeks later.

Daisy,

If you buy a one way ticket be sure to have all of the information I put on the other thread with you. If you have a house/condo/apartment bring your rental agreement. It will make your travel easier if Immigration knows you have a place to go back to.

:)

Have a nice trip.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 02:08:53 PM »
HELLO SPARTANA! I wanna come w/you & Barkinator to Canada. :D
How exciting, you plans.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »
Interesting tip about dog food. Good to know as I generally don't have it in its original container. What happens if you cross the border, stay a month or two, then cross back to the US for a few days and want to go back into Canada for awhile again? Does that re-set your 6 month max allowable stay date or does your original "get out of Canada" exit date still apply? Can you go back and forth like that easily and fairly often? I know you can do that to Mexico and its no problem.

The Canadian and American governments tell each other about when citizens of either country cross the boarder. A big part of this was to ensure that either country could levy income tax on individuals that overstay the 182 day limit.

For clarity, the USA knows when you return to the USA and informs the Canadian Government of that fact. The Canadian government tells the USA when you enter Canada.
OK I figured they must do something like that. Canada's probably checks more now that Trump is pres and all us 'Muricans are trying to escape for healthcare and maple syrup ;-).

OK so hypothetical question: If I entered Canada mid-August I'd have until mid Feb before I'd have to leave right? Now what would happen if I entered in mid-Aug, stayed 3 months then re entered US, stayed in the US a month and then re entered Canada around Jan 1st. Would I be able to start a new stay for 6 months or just 3 months? Is there a certain length of time you have to be out of Canada before you can return with a new 6 month stay? IOW is the 182 day limit per year or can you technically stay longer by breaking up your stay but not have to worry about taxes or residency stuff?

You can stay for 6 months (182 days) total out of any 12 month period (not necessarily calendar year). In your example if you re enter Jan 1, you can stay for 3 more months, then you would have to leave again until mid-august*.

*There is additional tricky math if you start doing this every year that I don't really understand. Ie: the following year you would be able to stay slightly less time (for tax reasons).

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 10:06:06 PM »

Daisy,

If you buy a one way ticket be sure to have all of the information I put on the other thread with you. If you have a house/condo/apartment bring your rental agreement. It will make your travel easier if Immigration knows you have a place to go back to.

:)

Have a nice trip.

Thank you.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »
Back to dog food - I visited a friend in the US this past winter, and had the bag of dog food.  No problem.  Coming back, the Canada Customs Agent asked about it, and I replied it was what was left of what I took with me into the US (which it was, I always take extra in winter, just in case a big storm comes up and my return is delayed).  So they do look at it.  Silly thing was, it was President's Choice, so "only in Canada".

everinprogress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 09:42:08 PM »
Not totally on topic, but sound like you're doing more outdoorsy stuff, so just wanted to say that this year the Canadian government's done a thing where we can get sent a free park pass for the year, and as a result most national parks have been quite a bit busier than usual- just something to keep in mind for accommodations and such.