Author Topic: Two tax questions  (Read 1330 times)


  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 180
Two tax questions
« on: February 03, 2015, 05:06:43 PM »
My wife is a Massage Therapist (sole proprietor/1099)

1)She needs a monthly adjustment from a chiropractor in order to do quality work.  This seems ordinary and necessary to me, can I deduct on schedule C?

2)I want to optimize our deductions in future years.  Based on the TurboTax questions it appears that although she is an independent contractor, she does work at one spa.  This appears to be "commuting" for car expenses and thus not deductible.  First is this accurate?  I am thinking of converting an external space to allow her to see some clients at home and get the home office deduction in the future.  If this was now her "primary" business place and also worked at the spa could we then deduct mileage?


  • Guest
Re: Two tax questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 05:43:25 PM »
1) Probably not. How many massage therapists need chiropractic work (ordinary)?

2) You can deduct travel expenses of going from working at one place of business to working at another. Seeing a client at one location, then seeing one at another would fit the bill. Doing "paperwork" at one then seeing a client at the other is a little fishy.