Author Topic: Turning a travel journal into income  (Read 1267 times)

Beriberi

• Stubble
Turning a travel journal into income
« on: November 21, 2018, 09:31:31 AM »
Next year we are hoping to do a big trip.  It's not the Pacific Crest Trail, but similar in many ways.  We are doing it with small kids and in a unique fashion.

I would like to create a blog about this. I think I take good pictures and write reasonably interesting text. I am also willing to share the financial details of the trip, which I think will be interesting to many.  This is not a trip a lot of people take, but it's aspirational - I think there are a bunch of families that would like to do what we are doing. 

What I don't expect to be good at (or have time to do) is blog formatting, linking, SEO, etc.  I would like to do the posts in real time and think that my maximum contribution would be creating text and photos.  Is there someone who could publish the content in a way that helps it find its audience? Place affiliate links? Has anyone heard of such a service?  I think most people who have made income generating websites have slowly and steadily built audiences and cash flow.   This trip is about 100 days and I want to start strong - there won't be ongoing new content to post after the trip.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
Re: Turning a travel journal into income
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 09:51:45 AM »
You could start now with posting about plans and preparation. That would give a chance for people to become interested and start following before the trip.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Turning a travel journal into income
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 10:06:52 AM »
I agree with starting to post now. Build your backstory and start getting followers before the trip. Share budget, packing tips, family pics, previous photos you've taken, etc.
I haven't done blogging myself, but I think you should look into using Instagram to get followers and direct people to your blog. Post cool pictures, use lots of hashtags, follow people and build up an audience who will get motivated to click through to the blog. Use some suspense in the post to get them to follow through and read the rest. If you are using equipment or clothes from specific brands, tag and follow them and see if you can become a brand ambassador for them, I see people posting links with discounts so there may be some money to be made like that.
Also, there are millions of bloggers who don't make much money at all, so I wouldn't go into this expecting to make a bunch of cash, if any. If you are doing this primarily to record your trip, share your pictures with friends and family who want to follow along, and create interesting content, you might end up pleasantly surprised if you also make a bit, but it shouldn't necessarily be your primary goal.