Author Topic: Turned down offer to go perm. Am I doing life wrong?  (Read 4584 times)

Bearblastbeats

Turned down offer to go perm. Am I doing life wrong?
« on: May 22, 2014, 09:06:32 PM »
Hello all,

I have been working at an engineering firm as a CAD tech for about 4 months now. I have been contracted out through a temp-to-hire agency. During the initially interview back in Feb which landed me the job, I mentioned the idea for me to continue my education this coming fall. They stated that within the benefits package they would pay towards going to school and health etc...

Now as appealing as all of that sounds, I chose to decline yesterday's offer to go permanent.

My issues here are:
1. I have a more architectural background with my all ready degree, where as I was solely hired for my CAD ability and IT/Programming skills. The company is an engineering firm.

2. I only have an associates and the cheapest architectural school is 2 hours from the job I currently have. It's one or the other. And I really want my BS.

3. I have been getting severe anxiety at this current job because its way more corporate than I am used to and I never really feel like I fit.

4. They offered me $3 less an hour to what I am currently making to come on board. With that much of a pay cut, it would hardly cover the gas (1 hour each way) it costs me to commute.

Am I screwing up wanting to pursue my goals and dreams and even though going to school and being poor for two more years will be tough, there is always that promise to a better quality of life?

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: Turned down offer to go perm. Am I doing life wrong?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 02:39:01 AM »
Could you go back to your current firm and still take them up on the offer of a permanent job?  If the answer is no, then there's no point regretting it: just go forward with your plans.  Even if the answer is yes, you have an associates, CAD ability, IT/programming skills, a history of employability and an established relationship with a temp agency that can get you work.  That puts you in a strong position already, and you obviously very much want to get your BS in architecture so I would say "go for it" - you sound like you would regret not doing it.  Presumably you can pick up some freelance/part time work to help finance it?

The "2 hours away" comment makes me a bit concerned about whether you are planning a long commute, but if you are reading this forum you know what a bad idea that is.

By the way -

1.  As your firm offered you a permanent job, they obviously thought that you were a good fit for their workplace.  If you ever have concerns about how you are perceived by your managers as respects "fit", you can always ask.  But it is worth remembering that you don't have to drink the Kool-Aid just because you work somewhere - you are allowed to retain your independence of thought regarding your employer.

2.  The $3 an hour "pay cut" would probably have been offset by the benefits (health, retirement) etc. that are usually offered with a permanent post and which you don't get as a temp for hire.  But once you have an offer you can always try to negotiate it upwards.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 05:42:45 AM »
But once you have an offer you can always try to negotiate it upwards.

True - I did this for my last job.  I simply pointed out that what they were offering was less than my current job, and that much as I wanted the job (true) I couldn't afford to take it (also true).  They matched my salary plus gave me some other incentives.

You don't have to have a lot of negotiating experience to do this - I was in a job that had no salary negotiation (set pay scale) so this was totally new to me.

As your firm offered you a permanent job, they obviously thought that you were a good fit for their workplace.

Also true - I moved from Community College to University, wasn't sure about the shift, but colleagues reassured me that I was just what they needed in the position.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 08:38:43 AM »
Congrats on living life well. Good luck on the degree and don't look back.

Too many people make the mistake of selling themselves short, you made the correct choice and realized you have untapped potential.  Entry level jobs are only fallback positions, not career aspirations. Generally when people pursue what they really want they put the extra effort in and succeed.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 09:03:08 AM »
It sounds as if you would regret going permanent here. There will be other, better opportunities you are more excited for in the future especially once you have your BS. Be glad they liked you enough to make the offer and leave gracefully so you can get a reference out of it, and have faith in your decision! But do be willing to negotiate in future.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 10:51:58 AM »
Thank you all for you encouragement.  I too feel as though I would regret not going to school and always having that annoying "what if?" Following me around.  Life's to short for career complacency.

Also.
I was talking to one of the guys here who also went to keene and got his bachelor's.  The degree has changed a bit since he went but he says that its pretty useless and told me it would be better to stay here and ask for more money. But im pretty set on going and just doing it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:04:43 AM by Bearblastbeats »