Author Topic: TSA precheck?  (Read 8972 times)

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
TSA precheck?
« on: April 19, 2015, 08:24:58 AM »
Mods, move if you feel the need, not sure where to post this.

I just walked straight through the precheck line at my airport. I am not a frequent flyer or would otherwise qualify for this program? This has happened twice now (two different airports) and I'm confused. It appears you need the authorization on your boarding pass. But I just always walk through a line not thinking it matters and I haven't been checked for this twice now.

I've only flown about 4-5 times and 2 of those have been through the precheck line.

Is something wrong with this picture?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:29:20 AM by Ricky »

mjb

• Stubble
Re: TSA precheck?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »
What airport? What airline? How busy was the security line? Did you boarding pass say "PRECHECK" on it anywhere?

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 08:42:42 AM »
Charlotte, Southwest, not busy. And nope. I just walked thru precheck line and no one asked to see my pass.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:47:21 AM by Ricky »

mjb

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 09:22:39 AM »
Interesting! You didn't have to remove your shoes or liquids or anything?

Sounds like they either gave you a break because it was slow or they just don't give a rip!

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 09:49:07 AM »
It seems TSA is getting more lax these days. Yesterday DH & I were allowed through a TSA Pre section at Chicago O'Hare without the authorization on our boarding pass because Spirit doesn't participate. However, it was very empty, unlike the security section in front of Spirit. We happen to have TSA Pre status but there was no way at the time for TSA to verify this. We liked the convenience but shouldn't have been allowed in without a Global Entry card or passport.

Only those with "trusted traveller" TSA-Pre vetting are supposed to be allowed through those lines, & it prints on the boarding pass. You don't have to remove shoes, liquids, or computer. TSA-Pre used to be available to those with frequent flyer elite status but now requires an application, fingerprinting, interview, & a fee. Global Entry is the better deal -- for $5 more, you get expedited entry into the USA plus TSA-Pre, & it is good for 5 years.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 10:54:12 AM »
I've had pre-check on my boarding pass a couple times.  Random!

Once I had it and my DH didn't, and we were on the same reservation, same flights.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 10:59:24 AM »
I'm going to try this next time!

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 11:11:58 AM »
It seems TSA is getting more lax these days.

Good, it isn't like they really catch anyone. They just do what Congress asked them to do - security theater.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 12:17:10 PM »
To follow up - they actually did look at my boarding pass when they checked my ID of course. And no, I didn't have to take shoes off. I just put everything in my bag and walked thru the metal detector.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 12:30:31 PM »
TSA is a complete joke.

Flew out of Denver during Thanksgiving week. They had suspended all their stupid rules. Didn't have to take my belt or shoes off. Laptop got to stay in the bag. No ridiculous imaging scan, just metal detector.

On my flight back on Monday, it was a complete 180.

I've thought about precheck but I hate the entire concept. Basically I give the government even more information and money, and I don't have to be treated like a piece of shit at the airport? Ugh.

mrshudson

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 12:40:23 PM »
OP, sweet deal. I have always thought you have to apply and pay for a background check, and then you become eligible for TSA Pre. Did not know it's possible otherwise.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 12:51:02 PM »
I've thought about precheck but I hate the entire concept. Basically I give the government even more information and money, and I don't have to be treated like a piece of shit at the airport? Ugh.

If you fly, especially overseas, the government has your information anyway. Global Entry boils down to $20 per year to bypass most lines domestically as well as internationally -- it's worth it to us, especially as we get older. Without it, we have missed flights because we were stuck in the immigration/customs queue for over an hour, & some TSA lines have been almost as long.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 01:08:14 PM »
Only those with "trusted traveller" TSA-Pre vetting are supposed to be allowed through those lines, & it prints on the boarding pass. You don't have to remove shoes, liquids, or computer. TSA-Pre used to be available to those with frequent flyer elite status but now requires an application, fingerprinting, interview, & a fee. Global Entry is the better deal -- for $5 more, you get expedited entry into the USA plus TSA-Pre, & it is good for 5 years.

An even better deal is the Nexus program. You get Global Entry, Pre-check, and access to the fast lane at the Canadian border, and it's only $50 for five years. The only gotcha is that you have to do the interview in or near Canada.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 02:58:06 PM »
I flew JetBlue recently - on the outbound trip my boyfriend got TSA precheck printed on his boarding pass. On the way back it was me and my kids has precheck. I asked the TSA worker and she said that the airline can also designate someone a 'precheck.'   Okie dokie. I wouldn't enroll or pay for the service because it isn't worth getting through security faster for me to spend the money (and a long security line is like ... 20 minutes?).

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 03:57:41 PM »
As a Canadian who travels into the US quite a bit (4-8 times a year), I love me my Nexus card. $50 for five years, skip the (sometimes hour-plus) line for US or Canadian customs at Canadian and some US airports, not have to deal with US border guards, plus the precheck thing at most US airports. Probably the best $10 a year that I spend.

wrt why you get through the precheck lane without precheck, I assume it's for the same reason the business class gate agent will take your luggage if there's nobody in the business class line. They're there anyway, and letting you through speeds things up for everyone.

I do think (based on conversations with TSA people) that airports are leaning toward fewer non-precheck lanes, to coerce people into getting precleared, one way or another. So the benefit of precheck will increase with time. Sure, I'm not crazy about being tracked even more, but as a foreigner entering the US I'm asked all kinds of uncomfortable questions anyway. At least this way it's only once.

G. Thomas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 05:40:09 PM »
The TSA line has been open to "random" passengers on top of the ones who paid.  This was to gain awareness for the program and so the guards were actually utilized.  Now in Denver because of the high interest in you have to have the label on your boarding pass. 

I have it and love it but fly a lot for work, ~200,000 miles in 2014.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 11:20:13 AM »
Last night, I did the online TSA PreCheck Application and clicked walk-in instead of making an appt.

Today, I drove to the one in Baltimore near the Keith Ave exit at the I-95N Ft McHenry Tunnel toll booth.

I spent more time walking from the parking lot to the office than I did in the office. I handed them my passport at the front desk and was in the waiting room about 2 mins before I got called back. They reviewed my info and took fingerprints and my credit card, and I was out of there.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 09:23:49 PM »
If you're Precheck, do you still have the "option" of AIT scanners or patdown? Or can you go through just the metal detector?

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 10:03:54 PM »
Precheck is not guaranteed for each flight -- I have this yet didn't get Precheck for 2 flights, although DH & DS did.
Typically Precheck just goes through a metal detector, & you don't have to take off shoes or pull out your laptop & toiletry baggie.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 11:55:10 PM »
I have Global Entry/Precheck and it is worth every penny. 

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 12:05:43 AM »
I have Global Entry/Precheck and it is worth every penny.

WORD.

Airport security makes me irrationally grouchy. GE/Pre is totally worth it to me.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »
You must not be middle eastern. My buddy is and he always gets "randomly selected" for an additional search.