Author Topic: Trying to sublease and convince my landlord  (Read 2536 times)

Mojo

Trying to sublease and convince my landlord
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »
The place I'm in now is a whopping $900 in rent (I signed the lease before discovering the magic of this blog - and I've since been cutting my spending drastically).  I have a room in a house 5 minutes away for just $400 lined up and ready to go.  I also called a local apartment hunter and she referred me to one of her clients for subleasing.  Now I need to ask my current landlord for permission to sublease, which has me a bit worried because I know that she currently has two other units that are empty right now and she's looking to fill them.  The obvious question is, how likely is she to allow the sublease under the circumstances, especially when my only reason for doing so is to save money?  Should I lie and tell her that my job has been moved or something along those lines?  Could that backfire somehow? The landlord has always been friendly but is definitely very stern and business-like, probably not the type to take a raw deal.  What would you do in the situation..?

I should also note that getting out of the lease altogether is not an option.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
Re: Trying to sublease and convince my landlord
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 06:26:27 PM »
How long is left on your lease?  Do you know if they'll consider a buyout?

Your lease should say if your specifically allowed or not allowed to sublease.

impaire

• Stubble
Re: Trying to sublease and convince my landlord
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:47:12 PM »
What about saying that you over-committed, and that when you reviewed your budget, you realized that you could not afford the rent, but that you found someone to take over the lease?

No lie, even if your standards for "not being able to afford" are different than the average person's.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!