Author Topic: Trying to leave Republic Wireless  (Read 6203 times)

Groovin Old Hippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Trying to leave Republic Wireless
« on: September 29, 2016, 03:27:43 PM »
We've been having problems with RW for a while and want to go to Cricket.  Apparently RW classifies your number as a landline so the number can't be ported to Cricket. Our family of four wants to transfer but can't change numbers for various reasons. If you know of any way to by-pass RW's system, please let me know.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
Re: Trying to leave Republic Wireless
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 06:48:33 PM »
Interesting that Republic "Wireless" is classified as a landline. Did you roll over a cell phone number when you created the account?

Have you tried porting it from Cricket's end or are you just taking RW's word for it?

Sorry you're facing this hassle.

Groovin Old Hippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 07:22:35 PM »
Yes, we came to Republic from Virgin Mobile and rolled over those numbers. Since Republic uses mainly the internet apparently their phones are listed as VoIP. Cricket can't port our numbers over. It wouldn't be so bad for my DH and myself but our kids have lots of job applications out and need to keep their numbers. Republic just hasn't been working well.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 07:24:26 PM »
I.P. Daley knows a ton about this stuff. It might be worth trying to message him directly.

Groovin Old Hippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 07:25:51 PM »
Thank you!  I'll check and see if he can help.

Vagabond76

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 08:08:07 PM »
Can you port to Google Voice and then port (or not) to Cricket? There may be a small fee involved.

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 08:35:33 PM »
I ported from RW to T-Mobile with no problems.
Don't ask me why T-Mobile, it is almost 3 times more expensive than RW - but it works, plus it works in Canada too.
Perhaps you can use an intermediary provider on a no contract plan then port to Cricket :)?

Groovin Old Hippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 08:52:36 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions about Google Voice and T-mobile.  I think we can each get a t-mobile sim card without buying a phone and just do it that way.....I think!

Monkey stache

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 10:02:54 AM »
That must be a Cricket limitation. When I used to work for one of the big carriers we could port over landlines. I second the idea of bringing it to Google Voice first then trying to port it.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 10:14:45 AM »
Is your phone compatible with Pure Talk USA? We've used them for a few years and are very happy.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 10:18:56 AM »
We've been having problems with RW for a while and want to go to Cricket.  Apparently RW classifies your number as a landline so the number can't be ported to Cricket. Our family of four wants to transfer but can't change numbers for various reasons. If you know of any way to by-pass RW's system, please let me know.

I'm pretty sure it's not Republic Wireless that is preventing your number to port over. It's the phone number itself. Each provider only has access to certain phone numbers. Some people that wanted to keep their number with RW couldn't because RW didn't have access to their number. (I'm not using the proper jargon, so don't quote me on any of this. I am not a telecom worker.)

Oh, and to add something that may be more helpful than the above - have you tried other providers to see if they can port your numbers? T-mobile for instance? There are lots to choose from.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:20:46 AM by mlejw6 »

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 10:41:04 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions about Google Voice and T-mobile.  I think we can each get a t-mobile sim card without buying a phone and just do it that way.....I think!

For T-Mobile you sure can get a ISM without buying a phone from them.
This is exactly what I did.
For Google voice I think this still holds, you will need a Nexus phone to activate the SIM and port your number I think... and then you can just move to your provider.

aprilm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 10:59:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's not Republic Wireless that is preventing your number to port over. It's the phone number itself. Each provider only has access to certain phone numbers.

That was my experience. I tried going to Ting from AT&T, but they couldn't port my number, so I tried Cricket, and they were able to.

Vagabond76

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 06:27:24 PM »
That was my experience. I tried going to Ting from AT&T, but they couldn't port my number, so I tried Cricket, and they were able to.

I was able to port 5 numbers from Ting to Verizon without any issue.

cacaoheart

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 07:33:55 PM »
I've kept the same number from ATT to T mobile to Republic Wireless and now to Google Fi. Once I figured out that with Republic Wireless my account number is my phone number and my zip code is my pin, switching went smoothly.

https://sideline.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210243693-Port-your-number-from-Republic-Wireless