Author Topic: Trying to get credit card points for new roof? Cash Advance?  (Read 1303 times)

jpoihnnter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Trying to get credit card points for new roof? Cash Advance?
« on: January 30, 2019, 01:58:03 PM »
All - quick question.  Our old house needs a new roof, and we've saved and have the cash on hand.  We've also done our due diligence, and have interviewed over 10 contractors - all have come to us via personal recommendation. 

This looks to be about a $5K job in total, and I'd hate to not collect some major points in spending that money - all the contractors around here only take cash, check, or money order though.  My wife just got a new Southwest Chase card, and this would easily earn us the Companion Pass, if we could find a way to use the card to pay. 

Any ideas?  I've heard stories of people getting a cash advance on their card, then paying it off?  Anyone navigate this before?

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Trying to get credit card points for new roof? Cash Advance?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 02:09:40 PM »
You can offer to pay the credit card fee for the contractor. This only works out better for lucrative signup bonuses though.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 03:24:56 PM »
Cash advances on your credit card don't typically meet requirements for the bonus.  If you are considering this read the bonus fine print v.e.r.y. c.a.r.e.f.u.l.l.y.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 02:31:21 PM »
All - quick question.  Our old house needs a new roof, and we've saved and have the cash on hand.  We've also done our due diligence, and have interviewed over 10 contractors - all have come to us via personal recommendation. 

This looks to be about a $5K job in total, and I'd hate to not collect some major points in spending that money - all the contractors around here only take cash, check, or money order though.  My wife just got a new Southwest Chase card, and this would easily earn us the Companion Pass, if we could find a way to use the card to pay. 

Any ideas?  I've heard stories of people getting a cash advance on their card, then paying it off?  Anyone navigate this before?

You can use Plastiq but there is a ~3% charge.