Author Topic: Trying to be ready and what to expect  (Read 3474 times)

Evearae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Trying to be ready and what to expect
« on: March 08, 2014, 05:38:01 AM »
Hello,

I'm a seventeen year old dutchman named Bruno.

Currently residing in the Netherlands.
My girlfriend got accepted into A&M for petroleum engineering, but sadly I do not know what to do yet, and this bothers me quite alot.

Here are a few questions:

I was thinking of going to Texas to go to college/uni with my girlfriend, as she had to move to TX to go to A&M.
Is this a good idea? It costs alot to go over there and study there, but the netherlands is relatively free (exc books, place to live, etc).

I don't know what job to get, I'm a 9+ out of 10 grade student so far, yet I don't know what I want to become and it deeply embarrasses me.
With that comes the  question of what to study, I wanted to study Mathematics and economics, but I'm not sure anymore.

What can I do now, as a seventeen year old, to help me out later in life?
I still live with my parents even though they gave me the opportunity to live on my own as I enjoy trying out new things.

Additional info:

-My father saves almost all his salary for me when I'm older, so I'll have a good start-up.

-I have an uncle whom is co-president of a private bank, so I might be able to work there if I get my degrees for it

-My second grade uncle owns Organizações Globo, I might be able to work there if I have some luck

-I live in a above-average income household

-Love doing mental aswell as physical work

Could anyone please give me some advice? I'm quite a naïve person, and sceptical about what the future will hold, I'm truly doubtful of what's going to happen to me.

mh1361

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Trying to be ready and what to expect
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 06:47:23 AM »
Is there a way you can take a couple different kinds of classes at a local university? Preferably some that would transfer to university credits if you were to end up in the states. That way you could try out a couple different things and see what you like. Personally, I wouldn't just decide to go to any american university without having a better idea. A&M, according to collegeboard, would cost about $30,000 a year. Also, on a different note, just keep your head up. You're in a good situation and it doesn't matter if you haven't figured it out yet. I graduated in May 2013 and am working full time at a non profit but I wouldn't say that I've figured out what I want to do yet. Just have a good attitude and keep an eye out for opportunities, don't stress about finding your career path as much.

Ziggurat

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 08:31:47 AM »
In trying to find your path, there is no substitute for personal experience. Try to get jobs/volunteer in areas that might interest you.  Ask to job shadow at one of your relative's companies, see what real jobs are like.  DO live away from your parents for a while since it seems you can afford it.

I agree probably you should not go to the U.S. university. Try to have some idea of what you want first before committing too much time and such a big change of location.

Reading your post, it seems you are saying you can start with a stache already from your family.  The goal of mustachianism is to use money to generate more money (and thereby generate freedom). Perhaps you can get started on that in some way.  If you have the right personality, perhaps something entrepreneurial could be in your future.  If not, at least start investing and earning some income that way.

phred

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 06:17:22 PM »
Looking back from the other side of the event horizon, seventeen is much too young to be choosing your ultimate path.
  First, I would leave your girlfriend alone, for now.  Either her studies will be so vigorous she won't have time for you, or she'll spend so much time with you she'll be expelled.  Talk to her once a week over the Internet.
  As to the math and economics, try a course in each; see what happens.
  Take a job from a non-relative.  Being treated as a nobody will give you a more accurate view of the world.
  Nothing wrong with you still living at home.  This will give you more freedom to bicycle around Europe.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 06:29:04 PM »
Study finance, work in a bank.  Be Mustachian and you should be able to FI/RE about 5 years after graduation.  Then you have the whole rest of your life to figure out what you want to do ;).