Author Topic: Trying out mint: question for couples  (Read 9975 times)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
Trying out mint: question for couples
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:57:43 AM »
How do you use mint, if you both have your own accounts yet want to look at the whole picture?

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
Re: Trying out mint: question for couples
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:01:38 AM »
Presumably you would create a single shared mint login and then both upload your individual accounts to that account. That will give you both visibility into each others' accounts and thus show you the "whole picture."

DH and I have combined finances except for 1 cc each for personal "fun money" spending, so we have all accounts minus those cc's on our mint account.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:05:56 AM »
One account. All accounts added. No issues.

Wile E. Coyote

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 11:34:47 AM »
Yep, just enter all accounts under one mint account. If you have some joint accounts and some individual accounts (IRAs) with the same financial institution, you can still enter your individual log in information for that financial institution and then hide the joint accounts that are duplicated.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »
One mint account, all joint and separate accounts/logins loaded into it. 

The only weirdness is that our joint brokerage at Vanguard is viewable via either of our logins (we have 2 since Roth IRAs are required to be separate), so we had to hide one copy of the joint account from view in mint since it was double counting the balance. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »
How do you use mint, if you both have your own accounts yet want to look at the whole picture?

Depends if you have shared or separate finances.  We personally lump everything into one Mint account, regardless of whose actual account it is.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 09:59:35 AM »
I refuse to give a third party my passwords; therefore I do not use mint.  Just my $.02.

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 10:11:10 AM »
I was already a mint user, and we added H's accounts to it after the wedding so we can both have full transparency and track our spending as a couple.

We'll probably combine accounts IRL at some point but haven't bothered to yet, although we do think of everything as "our" money.

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 10:29:13 AM »
We use one Mint login and drop in all our accounts.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 11:25:52 AM »
We have separate mint accounts, but mine is the important one - his is only used to track his own personal income and net worth.

Our credit cards are all joint, and we do 99% of our spending on those. I manually add in the one or two cash transactions a month. I keep all our spending correctly categorized and tracked, so the majority of "the big picture" is found on my account, and I just ask him what his net worth is sitting at if I need the number for some calculation.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »
I second nearly everyone in this thread.  We have a single mint account with all of our joint and individual accounts added.