Author Topic: Troubleshoot my Mac; Can't click in headers  (Read 1542 times)

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
Troubleshoot my Mac; Can't click in headers
« on: January 29, 2020, 01:28:43 PM »
My computer is weird today.  Excepting the top inch of the screen, everything works fine.  But the header at the top, the one with the apple, name of the program that's open, file, View, history, etc. when I'm in Chrome" is dead.  I can move my cursor there, but can't click on anything.  And below that, the section with the tabs (again, in Chrome) is the same.  If I click a bunch of times, sometimes I can move from one tab to another, but mostly it's just dead.  Below that is the address bar, which is working properly.  I can move my cursor around just fine, but the click does nothing in those sections.  On the rest of the screen, everything is fine. 

This happens in Chrome as well as Safari and a random writing software app, so it seems like they system itself has a problem.  No matter what program I'm in, I can't click on anything in the top header. 

I've tried googling, but had no luck.  Any ideas? 

(I am going to attempt a hard shutdown and restart, but usually I do that through the apple icon, which of course I can't access...)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Troubleshoot my Mac; Can't click in headers
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 01:34:10 PM »

:P

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 01:36:42 PM »
Forced shutdown: Command key + power button

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »
Eventually I realized that a hard shutdown was the obvious thing to try, and it worked.  But this was super odd!

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 01:52:34 PM »
Did you recently update to the newest operating system?  If so, possible that it doesn't like chrome yet (I have several apps that are no longer compatible with the new OS)

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 02:38:03 PM »
Did you recently update to the newest operating system?  If so, possible that it doesn't like chrome yet (I have several apps that are no longer compatible with the new OS)

No, I'm delaying so I can go through all of the non-64b app first.  There had to have been a way for Apple to make that transition less painful!