Author Topic: Travelling to Toronto w/ a 3 year old next week  (Read 1514 times)

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
Travelling to Toronto w/ a 3 year old next week
« on: October 22, 2018, 11:20:50 AM »
I've never been to Toronto before, but my wife is presenting at a conference there, and we're thinking about moving to Canada (though not specifically Toronto) so I'm going to tag along with my 3 year old daughter.  We'll be there Wednesday through Sunday of next week.  It's looking to be rainy.  I'm thinking about the Natural History Museum and the Aquarium, but I'd be grateful for any tips.  We're going to be staying right near the College subway station.  I'm also interested in any vegetarian friendly food tips.  Thanks!

Mrs.Piano

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Travelling to Toronto w/ a 3 year old next week
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 12:17:15 PM »
Fortunately, vegetarian options are plentiful in Toronto.  Right by the College subway stop you have Rolltation.  I also advise checking out children’s events at the Toronto Public Library and the Textile Museum. 

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 01:11:35 PM »
Other parts of the Royal Ontario Museum can be fun, too, along with the natural history part.

A frosting-on-the-cake tip if you have time: get hold of a picture book set in Toronto before you go, and read it with your daughter. Then, when you get there, point out IRL the places she's seen in the book. We did this with Make Way for Ducklings when we moved to Boston, and with Madeline when we visited Paris. It is amazing how much more interesting it makes buildings!

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 01:24:21 PM »
I love the idea of looking at a Toronto picture book!  I just requested Night Cars and Jonathan Cleaned Up—Then He Heard a Sound from the library.  And I'll check out the Textile Museum as well.  Thanks!

I'd also be grateful for any local playground recommendations.  I know the weather won't be ideal, but my daughter LOVES them. :)

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 02:22:49 PM »
Any opinions on Casa Loma?  Thanks!

hegemony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 03:43:07 PM »
Casa Loma can be fun to explore - it's visually impressive and does have some cool features, like an underground tunnel to the stables and a lovely conservatory.  That said, I can't vouch for how engaging it would be for a three year old.  There's certainly a lot going on, but in my experience it's not interactive other than moving around in it.

You'll be somewhat close to OCAD University (formerly Ontario College of Art and Design) which might be worth walking by if there's a nice day, if just to see the Will Alsop designed addition.

If you're willing to take a bit of public transit from downtown, the Ontario Science Centre is great - really interactive and wonderful for kids.

Happily, vegetarian is plentiful.  Ryerson University is right there, and there are lots of nearby options.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 06:20:00 PM »
Thanks!  The Ontario Science Centre looks cool, but I don't know that we'll venture so far afield.  My daughter still takes a mid-day nap, for one thing.  And OCAD looks amazing!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 08:13:58 PM »
@FLBiker - check this thread out for activity ideas if you haven't seen it already.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mini-money-mustaches/toronto-help/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!