Author Topic: Travel trousers- Prana, ABC, Bluffworks worth it in the long run?  (Read 3309 times)

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
I am wondering if you guys have a suggestion for a great travel pant for my husband. He is wanting a lighter weight trouser, as we live in FL. I don't want to spend a fortune, but it will be his main birthday present :) He wants something he can international travel with, bike in, and wear on tons of occasions from hiking to downtown smart casual. I don't like the look of the traditional dad Patagonia styles.
Some of the ones I am narrowing down to are so expensive, so I thought I would ask MMMers if they would rec any of the front runners I have found so far, ( Prana, ABC, Bluffworks, Outlier, Patagonia) or something else entirely?

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
Re: Travel trousers- Prana, ABC, Bluffworks worth it in the long run?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:43:42 AM »
ok will do. Also found people saying online that a 20 bux Costco one is a great dupe for Prana.So ordering it on ebay.
If he ends up loving techwear I might invest in a 2nd Prana pair, used on ebay of course haha!

IrishRockstar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 06:59:38 AM »
Prana Zion pants are absolutely awesome!  I bike, climb, work out, travel, and go on dates in mine and even bought a vest with the same material. They stretch a little and have a great fit. Trying them on in person is the best way to do it. Their shorts are amazing as well. Both garments have a cinch strap in the waist that keeps them snug or loose, and the pockets are well thought out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 04:25:29 PM »
I love my Prana Stretch Zion pants. They're super lightweight and comfortable.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 10:47:48 PM »
I have a couple pairs of KUHL and they are great.

If you watch the clearance racks at REI you can get a pretty good deal. It would be really hard for me to pay full price for them but deals can be had.

And I have had Columbia and REI store brand and the do not compare.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 12:06:04 AM »
Check out these from Uniqlo. I got an equivalent pair last year for $7 on clearance and they are perfect for travel. Fast drying, packs super small, comfortable, and breathable.

krustyburger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 04:44:07 AM »
My fancy hiking pants are my least favourite, I don't like the texture or the look (some sort of quickdry material), the only time I've been glad I had them is when doing fieldwork in remote locations when everything had to be hand washed.
In the tropics I've found that anything cotton is great, but for temperate climates I love jeans (although not when it's raining).

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 07:43:44 AM »
My fancy hiking pants are my least favourite, I don't like the texture or the look (some sort of quickdry material), the only time I've been glad I had them is when doing fieldwork in remote locations when everything had to be hand washed.
In the tropics I've found that anything cotton is great, but for temperate climates I love jeans (although not when it's raining).
What brand were the fancy ones? I may want to stay clear of the un-breathable ones or thicker ones being in FL. Prana sound like they are the thinner ones.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 10:17:27 AM »
Welp, I had been looking for cheap "travel pants" that would be good for cooler weather travel and also hiking.

I just ordered the Prana ones.  Thanks MMM.  lol. 

This is the problem with shopping related posts.  Sometimes you convince yourself to buy the thing that you didn't know you needed. 

I had been looking at Chinese ones that ran very small (was scared to order and have to deal with multiple returns- I don't necessarily want to exchange) and the Columbia oens that lots of reviewers said pilled badly.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 10:58:05 AM »
I know! Sorry.
I just went to REI to check the ones some of you guys suggested. I really liked the Prana stuff.
Came home and I just ordered Prana Brion, used on Poshmark.com
Great website btw.
They only cost 20$
My husband and I don't mind receiving used presents haha, lucky for us. If they fit nice, I will scout for a brand new pair, but will wait for a discount.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:11:45 AM by dandypandys »

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »
I have Columbia travel pants that I really like, although I have noticed some piling (pilling?) on the first pair. I still wear them when I need to layer with long underwear, but bought a second pair down a size (THAT was a happy day; been trying to get healthier and lose some weight!) and they're still in great shape. If you use REI, their member coupons just came out: 20% off one regular price item, 20% off one item at REI garage. Maybe you can find a great deal at the REI garage?

I'm going to check out Poshmark; thanks for the recommendation. I have a couple Prana items I really like for yoga (bought on clearance at REI) but can't fathom paying full price for them!