Author Topic: Travel to sunny weather for a mustachian family in cold, cold Canada  (Read 3277 times)

alfor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi fellow mustachians,

Do you know cheap alternative to the 'One week all inclusive travel to Cuba' ?

We are a family of four, (me, my wife, my son 3 year old, my daughter 1 1/2 year old) we live in Montréal Canada and we like to take a break of the canadian winter !

Two year ago we have gone to Cuba in Mansanillo, it has been a very good experience and we would like to repeat that before my daughter break the two year old barrer and need to pay a plane ticket!

The cost is around 700$-800$ per person, in our case we have to pay for three person. There is a slight reduction for our son, and small additional fee for our daughter. All in all we are talking of about 3k$ for one week in the sun.

We would like to stay longer two, three week, but the cost double, event if the plane is probably their greatest expense.

Last time we got out of the hotel complex and meet local cubans, we would like to go more in this direction this year. We are not that much trilled with the 'all inclusive' formula, but it seem to be the cheaper way in cuba. We still like having meals organized as it gives us more time to enjoy our destination.

I am a software engineer doing web programming and I am working in home renovation right now, I could work to offset the cost of the travel ( sound a lot like MMM with is trip to Hawai)

Any idea ?

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Travel to sunny weather for a mustachian family in cold, cold Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 11:12:15 AM »
I've done home exchanges before and they worked well.  We collect airmiles for airfare.

We are thinking about Hawaii for our next trip.  I don't think home exchanges or renos in Cuba are an option :)  You'd have to pick a wealthier place I think.  Hawaii, Maui  or Florida maybe?

I think MMM's home reno exchange is a very good way to go.  He has credibility through the website but you might be able to build this through references and a portfolio and then advertise your services somewhere in Hawaii in exchange for accommodation? 

If you want to come to Victoria BC and are handy we could put you up here in exchange for reno services :).  Can't promise you wintertime sun though.

Actually, I should advertise this working holiday option somewhere! 

alfor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 12:20:32 PM »
Thanks totoro I will take a look at home exchange !

I have seen that if I take my plane from Ottawa ( two hour drive) I can find something similar for half the price !

kdms

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »
That's interesting that it's cheaper from Ottawa....I've always found it cheaper from Montreal, and I live in Ottawa!  lol

If you don't mind driving for a few hours before boarding a plane, you might even consider Toronto, or crossing over into New York and finding a US airport to fly from.  We used to do that all the time when we were in Vancouver BC....three hour drive to Seattle would save us hundreds of dollars, every time.

alfor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »
It was my mistake for the price !

In Québec the law required to show the price with taxes included. This is not the case in Ontario. It was actually the same price ( about 300$ of taxes)

I don't think we can go to Cuba from the US right now (that may change in the future I think).

kdms: Thank for the tip, I will take a look at other destinations with departure from the US.

I have seen that the place we have been have been hit very hard by Sandy (near Santiago), a family we meet last time had just rebuild their roof, maybe I can help someone in need.

The regime is pretty opaque, communication is difficult so it is a bit of a hit and miss.

Sparky

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:07:38 PM »
Honestly the cheapest normal holiday is just do it all yourself aka Backpacking.

Get yourself to the USA (Plattsburgh I think is the closest US destination for you), and fly yourself to Central America. I've seen flights as cheap as $75 bucks (one way, per person) to Costa Rica/Nicaragua/Cancun/Honduras/Panama/Haiti etc. Rooms/food/transportation etc are all extremely cheap in most of these countries. And all perfectly safe.

Resorts are a huge ripoff targeted at people who want to not think, and only want to drink, eat and be served. A little legwork and you'll save 75%. Avoid booking anything (in general) on the internet. Hotels are the worst. Say in 'guesthouses' or hostels (many are very family friendly).

Any questions, just ask. 2.5 years of living this lifestyle.