Author Topic: Travel hacking/miles Advice--Lisbon  (Read 1740 times)

MountainTown

• Bristles
Travel hacking/miles Advice--Lisbon
« on: April 01, 2018, 08:58:15 PM »
So, my wife has really wanted to goto Lisbon for a few months and I am doing my best to travel hack it. Recently I found some tickets around $1500 cash price for 60,000 miles(delta). I am very new to travel hacking but to me that's an impressive redemption? Am I right?

We use delta mainly right now because we are in midwest/mountain region that is pretty Delta heavy and mostly we travel midwest to see friends/family.

Here is my issue. I have 100,000 miles. My wife has 20,000. I am concerned that these flights will sell out because I have seen them do so in the past. That being said...they came back up again...maybe they will come up soon? I am attracted to them because

a.) To me it looks like about a 3: 1 redemption value
b.) The layovers are efficient/smooth. Others I have seen were 8 hour layovers --NO THANK YOU
c.) I realize there are other places but my wife has family in Lisbon
d.) Delta is what we have now

Ok so obviously I can't buy my tickets both on my account right now so here are my options

1.) Buy my ticket with miles and pay about $1,500 cash(with delta cc) for hers
2.) Transfer her 15k to me and buy both with miles. Given the fees, we will ultimately get hers for $180(transfer fee) + 115(Redemption fee) = $295. Still a pretty good redemption value in my opinion if you consider both tickets
3.) Travel hack one more starwood card to get 30,000 miles. This will take at least 3 months and runs the risks of those redemptions not being available again

**Important to note that this ticket redemption is at least 5-6 months away.

Where/what is the best value here? I would imagine #3 but how much risk I am taking? I understand it's hard to say but maybe someone has a better understanding of how redemptions work this far ahead of booking. #2 Has some appeal just to do it and get it over with but I kinda cringe paying a $200 fee to transfer those stupid points.

Will also note we have both burned through Delta gold. She has burned through starwood deal. I have not yet used starwood deal so that is some low hanging fruit...

Thanks and open to any other ideas!!!

Scommm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Travel hacking/miles Advice--Lisbon
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 11:30:16 PM »
Depends on how much you value those miles. I wouldn't redeem them for less than 2cents each. You also have time to get new cards and get bonus spend done on them to make more points to get premium seats if that's what you want. Or you have time to manufacture points on the cards you have.

MountainTown

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 11:32:44 PM »
Scomm in your experience if there is 5-6 months is there still a likelihood that more mileage redemptions will come out? i only ask cuz I have seen them sell out before...obviously they can still come available but I do worry we may miss an opportunity now

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 11:00:26 AM »
Given what you've outlined, I'd go with option 2.  To me it's as simple as $295 is better than $1500.

shelbyautumn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 02:03:06 PM »
Given what you've outlined, I'd go with option 2.  To me it's as simple as $295 is better than $1500.
+1

I've been shopping flights a lot lately and prices are fickle. Under $300 for two international tickets? Duh!