Author Topic: Travel hacking on a bad credit  (Read 6006 times)

payitoff

Travel hacking on a bad credit
« on: December 07, 2013, 06:04:51 PM »
we are planning to go to Hawaii next year, and i was wondering if there's some ways we can save some money though travel hacking?  i recently signed up for the US bank sky miles secured card im planning to use for groceries to rack up some miles, but is there anything else out there?

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Travel hacking on a bad credit
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:22:22 PM »
How bad is your credit?

payitoff

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 06:28:13 PM »
bad, we are in the process of rebuilding after living off of 1 income, we just paid off all existing credit cards but our credit card dont have mileage programs, i tried to apply for a new card but i got an offer for a secured card instead.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »
I know you didn't ask about whether this is a good idea or not, but you're on the mustashian forum, and if you've read even a little bit about MMM's philosophy, you know that what you are asking about is crazypants when you have hair on fire debt.

You have debt in collections, owe the IRS and state taxes with penalties, have a huge amount of other debt hanging over you in addition according to your case study thread - $109,400 - and you're planning on going to Hawaii?

I'm saying this as nicely as possible - but you can't afford it. Really, really REALLY can't.

If you're serious about getting out of debt, then things like vacations and travel - even if it's a "good deal" - should not be anywhere on your radar until you dig yourself out of the situation you're currently in and get your credit fixed up.

I would suggest focusing on "stay-cations" - hanging out with the family doing fun, free activities if you need some recreational time and maybe make it a end goal for your family to go to Hawaii once you successfully pay off everything in celebration - but you're doing yourself and your family a grave disservice by adding even one more dollar to your already heavy debt load.

engineerjourney

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:33:46 PM »
Frankies Girl pretty much summed up the words almost everyone on this forum is going to say..

payitoff

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 10:36:17 PM »
thank you for the wake up call.. yes youre right, its been a dream for us to go since we got married, but it can wait :)
we are still in no position to say 'we deserve it'

ok *going back to reality*

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 07:55:31 AM »
thank you for the wake up call.. yes youre right, its been a dream for us to go since we got married, but it can wait :)
we are still in no position to say 'we deserve it'

ok *going back to reality*

Wow- kudos to you for the 180!  I've seen so many times on this forum where people get a couple of face-punches and it turns into a whiney list of "but, but, but..."

Hawaii will be there when you are debt free!  And it will be a great way to reward yourselves once you get your finances in order.  You'll get there eventually!

Chiron

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 08:02:04 AM »
If it makes you feel better, it wouldn't really be possible for you to travel hack on bad credit anyway.  You will likely not get approved for any airline mile earning card with an open collection on your credit report.

huadpe

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 08:09:22 AM »
I have a related question actually: how do I travel hack on no credit?  Not bad credit, just no current loans or credit cards and nothing really much on my credit report.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 09:26:05 AM »
A few years back, I rebuilt my credit and the only rewards credit card I was able to get was a Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard.  It has a $59 annual fee.  I used it for all my everyday purchases and then used the Reward Zone certificates to purchase Amazon.com gift cards at Best Buy.  Then, I either used the certificates to buy things I needed or sold them online at a discount for cash.  It's something to think about.

Chiron

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 12:11:48 PM »
I have a related question actually: how do I travel hack on no credit?  Not bad credit, just no current loans or credit cards and nothing really much on my credit report.

I would speak to your bank about a secured credit card or a no annual fee credit card that you could get first.  You will need some history before delving into rewards credit cards.  I would start there and get your accounts aging so you can start hacking in the future.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!