Author Topic: Travel hacking, flight from USA to Israel  (Read 3702 times)

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Travel hacking, flight from USA to Israel
« on: March 26, 2016, 05:49:16 PM »
Going to Israel in about a year.  From where I am (Albuquerque) it looks like I could use American Airlines or United.  Anyone know which is better/easier?  I'm good with SW, but I don't know much about other airlines.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Travel hacking, flight from USA to Israel
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 06:27:26 PM »
Decided to go through AA.    Looks like it is 80k pts for a round trip.  (Not sure if it will go up.) Just applied for the AA credit card which is 50k miles (after you spend 3000 in 3 months.). My wife and I will both get those, staggered so we can spend the money over time, then either apply for the business cards or get some general cards that we can add the points to our accounts.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 07:43:26 AM »
If you can't get the business cards, you could each get the Amex SPG card.  The points transfer to American Airlines.  I would try to get the points ASAP so you can book as soon as the flights become available (331 days out).

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 07:49:35 AM »
Good idea about booking early.  I don't usually worry, but I guess it's important with AA's reward program?

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 09:03:20 AM »
AMEX SPG is a good card, but Chase Sapphire Preferred will get you more points for the trip (55k vs 35k).

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 09:57:12 AM »
AMEX SPG is a good card, but Chase Sapphire Preferred will get you more points for the trip (55k vs 35k).

Chase is great for travel points. Sapphire preferred is 50k points. Then get the Ink+ business card (I made up mine and my wife's business and got it no problem) for another 60k points ($95 fee not waived. Was 50k points with fee waived before, so a wash). That's 110k points, 120k after the spending. Book through Chase and get 25% more and you have $1,500 in travel. Get the same cards for your wife and have $3k in flights.

To be fair I wouldn't say it's $1500 in "free" flights, as you could always do this anyway and cash out $1200. So only $300 is free travel. 

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
If American is your carrier, this post might help:

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/03/best-cards-for-flying-american/

I have nothing to do with this website, I just happened to read the post right before visiting MMM.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 12:11:08 PM »
I loved Israel, I went there 9 years ago for free through birthright. Nothing more mustachian than that!!!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 12:16:14 PM »
If you get stuck without having enough points, look at flying into NY and just paying for JFK to TLV.   Finding tickets on Ukraine air for $620.     (I'm doing this deal in May and doing a few days in Ukraine, then to Israel, and fly back from Jordan for $777).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!