Author Topic: Transponder car key  (Read 3402 times)

clairebonk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Wear a mask
Transponder car key
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:38:59 AM »
Does anyone know the cheapest way to make a new car key? We have a Honda Fit and only have one key. I'd like a spare. Back in the day, I would to go to Ace and have them cut one for a few dollars. Now a spare costs more than a hundred!

TheThirstyStag

• Bristles
Re: Transponder car key
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 11:50:23 AM »
It depends on the manufacturer, year, and type of key.  The procedure for programming extra keys should be in your owner's manual.  What does it say?

I'm guessing that you can't do it on your own without a second functioning key.  Usually your best bet is to go to a locksmith.  Many of them have access to the programming software that the dealership uses, but charge a fraction of the price. 

Trede

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 02:30:03 PM »
Actually, I was just at Ace Hardware the other day and was surprised when I noticed their key duplicating service now includes transponder keys.  I am not sure of their abilities or limitations, but if you have an Ace nearby, you might go have a conversation about what they can do for you!

Cole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 02:35:21 PM »
Ace transponder keys are roughly 75-100

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 03:14:19 PM »
I bought a blank transponder key for my 06' Taurus on eBay. I took it to Wal-Mart and they cut it for free. They also offered to program it but I was able to do it for free myself via directions on a Youtube video.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Uncut-Key-Keyless-Entry-Car-Remote-Transmitter-Fob-For-MLBHLIK-1T-/360875181743?fits=Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AFit&hash=item5405d646af&vxp=mtr

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 06:59:36 PM »
Ah - very good to know about getting blank ones and programing them.

Ace and other hardware stores can do the programing and cut the key - I had one made and it was about $100. I think Home Depot can do it also.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 09:17:12 PM »
Does anyone know the cheapest way to make a new car key? We have a Honda Fit and only have one key. I'd like a spare. Back in the day, I would to go to Ace and have them cut one for a few dollars. Now a spare costs more than a hundred!

Programming a new key varies greatly by brand, year, and model. The keys that Ace sells are second rate. They have a watch battery in them that will eventually leave you stranded. They will clone your current key, but as you say key and programming is about $100.

Better to get a OEM replacement on e-bay. I have bought from Wolf Security (two keys $18 each for my Ford Taurus that work perfectly), and I have zero complaints. I don't know if he carries Honda keys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Explorer-02-10-Some-01-OEM-Logo-PATS-Transponder-Security-Chip-Key-Blank-/141077519707?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d8e01d5b

If you order from him, take a good photo of your key and he will cut it for a small additional fee before he ships it to you. He guarantees the cut, so no risk of a third party messing up your blank key. All you will need to do then is program the key. Which may be easy, or may involve a dealer or a locksmith, depending on your vehicle.