Author Topic: Transition period?  (Read 3822 times)

pedostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Transition period?
« on: December 08, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
edit: figured it all out

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:25:41 AM by pedostache »

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
Re: Transition period?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »
It looks like you've got a great attitude towards savings that I wish I had at your age. Good for you!

A $5k car seems reasonable to me... I also moved out of a rent-free situation for the same reasons you did. I would say use the early-spring deadline for getting an apt. as your absolute earliest, but allow yourself a few extra months if that what it takes to find a good roommate

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 10:25:15 PM »
I'm with abe, it seems like you're on the right track in general.
1) Would it be stupid if I were to get a quality used car for around 5k with cash, which would leave my liquidity temporarily low? I am an avid mountain biker/ runner and try to bike places or use public transportation etc but after going car-less for an extended amount of time I found that there are still a lot of times when I need a car.
If you buy a car it'll sit and depreciate all year, plus maintenance and insurance and all the rest of the full gamut of expenses. Do you use a car seldom enough that you could rent a car from a traditional company like Enterprise or a new flexible carsharing service like Zipcar every time you needed one, or is it low, very frequent usage such that owning a car makes the most sense?

2) I need to find a new apartment. As much as I like saving money, I value my freedom a little bit more.  Since I just got this job I may be jumping the gun since I still don't get paid that much but I'd like to be moved out by the end of Spring at the latest. I'm also down to relocate anywhere inside or outside of the country as of this moment I don't have any major responsibilities.
You don't happen to work for a company that you could transfer overseas with, do you? There's another MMM netizen thinking about that who was really energized by even considering it.

pedostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 07:38:36 AM »
Thank you for your responses Honest Abe and grantmeaname,

If you buy a car it'll sit and depreciate all year, plus maintenance and insurance and all the rest of the full gamut of expenses. Do you use a car seldom enough that you could rent a car from a traditional company like Enterprise or a new flexible carsharing service like Zipcar every time you needed one, or is it low, very frequent usage such that owning a car makes the most sense?

I'm not really a fan of renting cars/ don't always think its practical especially since I'm under 25 (expensive).  Right now I use a form of beer /barter for rides or use of a friends vehicle which can be a pain.  Honestly, I know that I don't 100% need a car but after going through all of college and the past 5 months without one it would definitely increase my quality of life. I'm not talking about a fancy car, just a reliable point A to B car.  I'd still bike a ton or walk if possible.

If I were to move out of the country it'd have to be with a new employer. I'm very open to this possibility but I also love the US so I'm just going to research everything I can.

Also I asked a friend who's an accountant about my situation and he said to consider holding off contributing to the IRA for a year.  Any thoughts on that?

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »
If you move out, rent with other people rather than your own apartment. Should be much cheaper, and will improve your social circle.

pedostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 03:26:50 PM »
Ya I've already got a hold of some people (2) that want to live with me.  Rent will probably be around 500-600.