Author Topic: Transferring RW phone number to google voice  (Read 3545 times)

jo552006

• Stubble
Transferring RW phone number to google voice
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »
I recently decided to transfer a phone number from RW to google voice.  I like the idea of being able to forward the same number and not have to worry about switching carriers and moving the number.

I got as far as porting my number from RW to T-Mobile prepaid sim.  I do NOT have a T-Mobile prepaid phone to receive the Google Voice phone call or text for security.  What are my options?  Am I limited to finding somebody with a T-Mobile prepaid phone, or purchasing one?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Transferring RW phone number to google voice
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:51:58 AM »
What are my options?  Am I limited to finding somebody with a T-Mobile prepaid phone, or purchasing one?

Yup, pretty much. The good news is, GSM prepaid is cheaper than CDMA overall, especially at PAYGO levels which should be easy to do if you spend a lot of time at home and using Google Voice over your home internet connection. Consider it an investment in future savings if you buy a carrier unlocked GSM handset.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:53:43 AM by I.P. Daley »

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 10:55:03 AM »
What are my options?  Am I limited to finding somebody with a T-Mobile prepaid phone, or purchasing one?

Yup, pretty much. The good news is, GSM prepaid is cheaper than CDMA overall, especially at PAYGO levels which should be easy to do if you spend a lot of time at home and using Google Voice over your home internet connection. Consider it an investment in future savings if you buy a carrier unlocked GSM handset.

I was literally just about to link to your site! http://www.techmeshugana.com/

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 10:57:31 AM »
I was literally just about to link to your site!

Why thank you!

jo552006

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
I.P, I'm not sure what the carrier type has to do with google voice?  I think maybe I should clarify more... I'm not looking to switch to T-Mobile, but I purchased a prepaid Sim card for like 99cents in order to port the RW number to that, then onto google voice.  (So that I can forward to a work phone that was recently given to me)

I'm not looking to actually own a prepaid GSM phone, (but that may be my only choice if I cannot find somebody who has one to let me slip my SIM card in theirs for about 20 minutes).

Is my take-away correct: My options for using the prepaid SIM card (which is tied to my numberi want to port) to accept Google Voice's verification text or call are limited to either borrowing, or purchasing an unlocked, or T-Mobile prepaid phone that accepts Sim cards.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 11:36:42 AM »
Is my take-away correct: My options for using the prepaid SIM card (which is tied to my numberi want to port) to accept Google Voice's verification text or call are limited to either borrowing, or purchasing an unlocked, or T-Mobile prepaid phone that accepts Sim cards.

Correct.

I.P, I'm not sure what the carrier type has to do with google voice?

Think longer term. You're not always going to have a work phone, and your work phone may be too personally invasive or potentially ban personal use down the road. There are better and cheaper prepaid options you could use later on under those circumstances on the GSM provider end of the spectrum. That could be to your benefit down the road, so if you have to purchase a phone, it doesn't necessarily have to be a total write-off.

jo552006

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 12:02:37 PM »
Thank you.

With regards to long term, I hadn't thought much about it.  I'll definitely keep that in mind, though since I'd only be purchasing what I NEED (aka, cheapest option) I'm not sure it'll be of much use in a few years.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 12:04:36 PM »
And you can buy a new, unlocked GSM phone for less than the price of dinner.

I'm not recommending this one, it is just an example of how easy/cheap it is to get one.

http://www.amazon.com/BLU-Unlocked-Dual-SIM-Camera-Battery/dp/B00O5EU7PK%3Fpsc%3D1%26SubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-ffab-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00O5EU7PK

If you shift down to used/refurbished the price point drops to about ten bux.

How high are you willing to jump through your ass to save ten dollars?