Author Topic: Top 10 Motorcycles for Smart People?  (Read 48696 times)

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Top 10 Motorcycles for Smart People?
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 06:30:56 AM »
I haven't read through all the responses (and will), but I have found that maintenance costs drive up the per mile costs significantly.  My Ducati needs servicing every 6,000 miles (I have gone to 7,500 because I take better care of it throughout) and that can be upwards of $400.  Yes, it gets 50+ mpg, but with $400 added to that, then every other time or less a new set of tires - and you quickly see that per mile costs are higher than low mpg cars.

Look to Honda for example as they have 10,000 mile service intervals.  Also, the type of work needed at the interval is important.  Many only need a few hundred dollars worth.  Call around at local shops and get a price on the services.  Don't be caught off gaurd by these costs.

Suzuki V-strom 650 ("wee-strom") is a great bike for the $$.
Honda CB500 - http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb500x.aspx
Honda NC700 - http://powersports.honda.com/2013/nc700x.aspx

Look for ABS.  Some poo poo it, but it's a must-have for me.  I have ridden 60,000 miles in the last 5 years, but before I got back on motorcycles (30 years away) I promised myself ABS, wear all the gear all the time (ATGATT), NO drinking anytime during the day or night before I ride - no matter how far apart in time the ride is from the drink, and taking/passing safety courses.  60K and no issues.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:28:04 AM by Rollin »

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 11:57:45 AM »
If nothing else, realize that driving a car is NOT safe (either)!!
Car accidents kill more Americans than any other non-age-related cause of death!
There has been all this stuff in the news about gun deaths lately, but not a single word about the fact that cars kill more people than guns every year.

I tried to bring that up a couple of times with people I know, and the response was always "how dare you compare accidents to murder!"

Never mind that most gun deaths in the U.S. are suicide rather than homicide anyway.

offroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2014, 09:16:34 AM »
Revisiting this topic - which is still interesting.   Have never had a Bicycle accident.  Have never had a Motorcycle accident in any context.  Have never dropped my bike.  Have taken a safety course twice.  Ride year as my weather can handle me doing that, so no rust on my muscle memory.  Now I always use a helmet as I found a DOT short version that I sometimes switch with a full face. 

Think if you just do the right thing, and act like everyone is going to kill you (because that big two ton metal box is going to kill you), then you will get out of the way.

all depends on

1) talent
2) weather
3) road hazards
4) visability
5) training
6) luck

do it right every time, and you will have a chance of doing okay.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »
I agree with both sides on this post. I've been teetering about buying a KLR650 within a year or two. I've had a few dual sports in the past when I was young and the one thing I worry about are retard drivers. I've never been in an accident on the bikes but many close calls. I would like to use it for touring the States and visiting family/friends.

I've always looked at it this way:
People always say that the risk of a shark attack worldwide is about 1 in almost 300 million. Seems like good odds if your standing on land (unless there is a sharknado). Odds change when you become a scuba diver and change again if your spear fishing in Florida...damn those bull sharks! It's all about pushing the envelope.

Burninator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
To answer the OP's question:

Used Honda NC700x

Excellent fuel economy
Excellent reliability
Available ABS
Easy maintenance. The valves use screw nut adjustment rather than shims.
Comfortable for a big guy and an occasional pillion.
Easily accommodates luggage.

Not a lot of these bikes on the used market yet but the ones I've seen where steeply discounted from new.

Olórin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2014, 10:00:51 PM »
Regarding the original post:  Suzuki GS500 - cheap to buy, cheap to maintain.  good gas mileage, and fast.

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
    • Radical Personal Finance
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2014, 09:39:35 AM »
I'm glad this thread has re-surfaced.  I appreciate all the good ideas and suggestions.

So far, I've just gone with the bicycle option.  But I've appreciated everyone's comments...it does seem that in many cases a really cheap and efficient small car will be cheaper than a motorcycle.

But definitely not as fun. ;)

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2014, 11:23:04 AM »

Would you consider scooters in your "motorcycle" list or do you consider them a separate category all together? I suppose if you gonna roll up in the suit/tie maybe a scooter wouldn't be super cool but you know, just thinking...

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2014, 11:25:49 AM »
If I were allowed to ride a bike again, I would get a KLR 650. I've been thinking of getting one ever since I rode a friend's a few years ago. I still have my beautiful 1971 Triumph Tiger, in original condition, that has been sitting quietly in the condo garage for the past five years...I tried to sell it once but the guys who came to check it out were all wearing Harley paraphernalia so I decided to keep it LOL...My wife says she loves me alive (although I am worth more dead...) but she agrees to let me have a 15-mn ride in the parkade once in a while...

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2014, 11:26:41 AM »

Would you consider scooters in your "motorcycle" list or do you consider them a separate category all together? I suppose if you gonna roll up in the suit/tie maybe a scooter wouldn't be super cool but you know, just thinking...

haha, I've been looking at scooters recently...some of them are cool...(maybe not as cool as motorcycles).  Before I found this site I bought a super expensive road bike and found out that I like hybrid type bikes a lot more and then I kind of stopped riding.  Took a look at craigslist and what do you know...I could sell my road bike and buy one of those scooters and all the gear.  The resurfacing of this thread is temping me.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2014, 11:48:34 AM »

If you are looking for the cool factor, especially wearing a suit and tie, then a Vespa GTS 300, with a top speed of 80 mph and 60+MPG, is the only way to go. Of course you'd have to invest in a nice Italian suit if you want to complete your Marcello Mastroianni look...

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »
Look for ABS.  Some poo poo it, but it's a must-have for me.

It's a mustachian option too...  Quote the insurance both ways, you'll be shocked how much you save on an ABS equipped bike.  Example, I was looking at a Ninja 300 earlier this year.  Non ABS version was $5,000.  Yearly insurance $400.  The ABS version was $5,500 and the insurance drops to $200 a year!

Ticopowell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2014, 12:58:51 PM »
I agree on the honda nc700x, and any of the 250s or 300s out there. Great beginner bikes and ABS can sure make a difference. I have a harley that gets 45-50 mpg's and it hasn't had any issues yet... except for my wife hitting a curb with it :(

livetogive

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2014, 02:44:12 PM »

It goes both ways... what actually breaks a person isn't the impact between vehicles, it's the impact between a person and his or her surroundings (or, more directly, the impact between the person's internal organs and skeleton). In a car you have the disadvantage of being stuck in a metal cage. Your seatbelt and airbag are there to minimize the damage that would be caused by smashing headfirst into this cage. On a motorcycle (or bicycle, where I have my experience) you have the benefit of no cage. That is, when you get hit, unless you run right into something, you have the benefit of being thrown and skipping across the pavement, slowing your impact.

This actually bothered me a bit - enough to come back and comment.  I think it's only partially right.  First off, being inside the cage of a car is much safer.  People thrown from vehicles have a very low survival rate vs. those that remain in the cage.

Re: the sliding comment - sliding is also very dangerous regardless of what you hit, and motorcycle racers in full leather with warning tracks for protection get hurt constantly.  Jorge Lorenzo had 2 surgeries in the course of a month last year due to a high side & slide, and he's not the only one.  Those guys have the best suits with airbags inside but once you start rag-dolling in a slide or get flipped in a high side all bets are off.  The average person can get VERY hurt without impacting anything else.

btw - I ride every day, so i'm not just some naysaying cager.

loki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »
Count me in with those who view riding as unacceptably risky (30x higher death rate than driving? Yeah, that's a bit too rich for my blood). That said, if I were insistent on riding, I'd unequivocally choose a motorcycle with ABS.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/brochures/motorcycle-abs-why-you-want-to-ride-with-it

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »
This actually bothered me a bit - enough to come back and comment.  I think it's only partially right.  First off, being inside the cage of a car is much safer.  People thrown from vehicles have a very low survival rate vs. those that remain in the cage.
Even after controlling for the fact that the accidents that throw people out of cars tend to be much faster?

loki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »
Even after controlling for the fact that the accidents that throw people out of cars tend to be much faster?

I don't think they are; fatal ejections from vehicles can occur at any speed. You can die in a 5 mph ejection if it involves a rollover, as a good portion of the fatal ejections from cars occur when the vehicle rolls over the ejected passenger.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2014, 09:02:52 PM »
Well, this isn't my area of expertise, but the first google result for "average speed of accidents that eject passengers" says "Another factor that the analysis found to be strongly associated with ejection, particularly in rollover crashes, is the speed of the vehicle prior to the crash"

loki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2014, 09:16:59 PM »
That is true, but the link also states that the reason people are fatally thrown out of cars (at a rate of nearly 30% vs nearly 3%) is primarily because they aren't wearing seat belts. Or in other words, the speed of the accident isn't why folks get thrown out of cars; it's that people who engage in the highest loading risk behavior (not wearing belts) also tended to be people who fell into other risk categories like speeding, being young, and driving higher center of gravity vehicles.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2014, 09:24:57 PM »
Isn't that even more true of motorcyclists' 30x death rate?

Burninator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2014, 11:05:31 AM »
Are motorcycles cheaper per mile than a car? Maybe not. It depends. Maybe. There are lots of variables. In my case, the motorcycle has been cheaper. I sold a Jeep to buy a motorcycle and so far my costs have been lower with the motorcycle. A small, cheap, reliable car would have been cheaper to own, for sure. I do all my own maintenance and most repair work on both the Jeep and the Kawasaki. The breakdown:

2000 Jeep Cherokee, $3500
$1500 in maintenance / repairs over 3 years
$1312.5 in fuel (16 mpg, 2000 miles per year x 3 years x $3.5 / gallon)
$100 / year liability only insurance
Sold Jeep after three years of ownership for $3500 needing new tires and shocks. If I kept the Jeep, factor in $400 for tires and $150 for shocks. Sold the Jeep after it left me stranded on the way to work for the 3rd time.

Bought with funds from Jeep sale

2000 Kawasaki W650 for $3500 with 2000 miles! Virtually show room condition.
$1500 in Gear (Mix of used and new gear), new tires, and luggage.
$100 a year in full coverage insurance ($10 per year more than liability only)
$420 for fuel over 3 years (2000 miles / yr, 50 mpg, $3.5 per gallon)
Unlike the Jeep, I've had ZERO mechanical issues with the Kawasaki. The tires have about 6000 miles on them and show very minimal wear. The tires I chose are frequently used on Goldwings and are known for lasting around 18000 miles on a much, much heavier bike. I expect to get a least 20,000 miles out of these tires.

Total expenses over 3 years:
Jeep: $6612.5
Kawasaki: $5720

Best of all, riding a motorcycle is so much fun. Driving a $3500 dollar car, not so much. I ride my motorcycle year around unless there is snow on the ground, which is rare for western Oregon.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2014, 10:08:33 PM »
Not going to argue the safety issue. Also not sure about overall costs. But I can tell you that, in my experience, motorcycles hold their value very well.

I bought a Ninja 250 a few years ago. I traded it in when I upgraded to a larger bike, and actually got more money for the trade in than what I paid (thank god for desperate people on craigslist). Maintenance costs weren't huge. One carb cleaning, a new tire, and an oil change were about $350 total for two seasons of driving. Fun little bike btw, and I got around 60mpg, and trust me I kept that thing revved up pretty high.

The bike I upgraded to, a Ninja 650, was such a blast to ride. Again, I didn't experience any large maintenance costs. Fuel injected so no issues with carbs, tires kept their tread for the 4k+ miles I rode the bike, and one oil change was like $20. I got about 45mpg, so a lot less than the Ninja 250, but also more than twice what I get with the cage.

I ended up selling the 650 to someone on craigslist. I did "lose" $400 on the sale from what I paid at the dealership, but overall I don't think losing 10% of the value of the bike over two years was too bad, especially since I bought it from a dealer and sold it privately. I knew I wasn't going to come out ahead on that one. And selling this bike allowed me to pay off my credit cards, so I'm happy.

One day I will ride again, and it will be glorious. Hopefully by then I will be living somewhere where the riding season is longer than 4 months. I do feel that maintenance on a motorcycle is a lot easier than on a car, and if you do it yourself you are going to save a lot of money. And the mpg is so much better on a bike compared to a car, unless you own a ZX14 or the equivalent.

KeyWest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2014, 10:32:31 AM »
I would not buy a 250 ninja. Ive ridden a couple and the power just isn't there. I would also not buy an r1, I owned an 03 for a while and that is like sitting on top of a rocket. It is trouble waiting to happen. They are too powerful. I have owned 2 SV650n though, absolutely my favorite bike. 70hp is plenty to have fun, they have great power, the vtwin engine has plenty of torque for riding 2up. I always bought track take off tire. You can get them for $100 a set. The racers only use up the last half inch of tread and there is plenty of meat left to ride on. Buy your own jackstand and tools and they are easy to change out yourself. Saves money too. svrider.com has a lot of good info. They are a really high mileage bike too, one guy on that site has over 120k on his. Parts are cheap because so many ppl race them. You cant go wrong, my only advice. Buy a blue one!! 

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »
Isn't that even more true of motorcyclists' 30x death rate?

That's what we tell ourselves, definitely.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2014, 07:21:38 PM »
I would not buy a 250 ninja. Ive ridden a couple and the power just isn't there. I would also not buy an r1, I owned an 03 for a while and that is like sitting on top of a rocket. It is trouble waiting to happen. They are too powerful. I have owned 2 SV650n though, absolutely my favorite bike. 70hp is plenty to have fun, they have great power, the vtwin engine has plenty of torque for riding 2up. I always bought track take off tire. You can get them for $100 a set. The racers only use up the last half inch of tread and there is plenty of meat left to ride on. Buy your own jackstand and tools and they are easy to change out yourself. Saves money too. svrider.com has a lot of good info. They are a really high mileage bike too, one guy on that site has over 120k on his. Parts are cheap because so many ppl race them. You cant go wrong, my only advice. Buy a blue one!!

Red bikes are faster

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2014, 07:35:13 PM »

Red bikes are faster

pink bikes are fastest (although I suppose they could be considered a subset of red bikes)

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2014, 07:40:16 PM »

Red bikes are faster

pink bikes are fastest (although I suppose they could be considered a subset of red bikes)

When I sold my Ninja 650 (to a girl even), I think she was almost as excited about the brand new pink helmet with butterflies on it that I threw in with the bike. I bought the helmet for the gf, but she never rode with me.

I think I cried a little when she rode away.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2014, 05:42:18 AM »
I would not buy a 250 ninja. Ive ridden a couple and the power just isn't there. I would also not buy an r1, I owned an 03 for a while and that is like sitting on top of a rocket. It is trouble waiting to happen. They are too powerful. I have owned 2 SV650n though, absolutely my favorite bike. 70hp is plenty to have fun, they have great power, the vtwin engine has plenty of torque for riding 2up.

I'm hoping to find a Ninja 250 to try someday to see what it's like.  Doesn't have a lot of power output, but the 0-60 and 1/4 mile are both faster than my sportscar (which I rarely ever get over 50% throttle on).  However, the Ninja's top speed is significantly lower, so I guess aerodynamics kills it and it might be short of power on the expressway.  Perhaps a good around town bike but not out on the open road?

Personally, I think my Katana 600 is overkill.  82hp.  Very usable power too, not some sport bike that has to be revved to death to move, the power band goes down pretty low.  The *car* I drove in high school weighed 5-6x as much, had 80hp, and I had no major issues with it.  I did normally have the pedal on the floor all the way down the on ramps to get up to merging speed, but in all the years I drove it there was never a situation where I needed more power.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2014, 08:14:04 AM »
I bought a Suzuki GS500 last year and it is probably one of the best frugal commuter bikes.  55-60 mpg, air cooled, they've been building them forever so parts are available.  Mine would easily make freeway speeds, but it was buzzing pretty hard at anything above 70 or so.

I eventually traded it on the purchase of a Yamaha FJR1300; the FJR has built in hard bags, shaft drive, ridiculous gobs of power and is a much more fun (notice I didn't say more frugal) commuter.  My FJR actually isn't too bad on the cost side; I bought one with 60k miles for $4k, it gets about 38 mpg if I ride it at legal speeds and about 35 at the err, extra legal speeds I'm prone to.

I ride the motorcycle any time I'm not on a bicycle; my car is parked at the house I'm working on and has gone about 100 miles in the last month, mostly to Home Depot with the trailer attached for building supplies.

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2014, 05:28:40 PM »
just bought a Sym Mio 50cc scooter off craigslist for 300 bucks.  And the fun begins!

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2014, 07:59:52 PM »
I would not buy a 250 ninja. Ive ridden a couple and the power just isn't there. I would also not buy an r1, I owned an 03 for a while and that is like sitting on top of a rocket. It is trouble waiting to happen. They are too powerful. I have owned 2 SV650n though, absolutely my favorite bike. 70hp is plenty to have fun, they have great power, the vtwin engine has plenty of torque for riding 2up.

I'm hoping to find a Ninja 250 to try someday to see what it's like.  Doesn't have a lot of power output, but the 0-60 and 1/4 mile are both faster than my sportscar (which I rarely ever get over 50% throttle on).  However, the Ninja's top speed is significantly lower, so I guess aerodynamics kills it and it might be short of power on the expressway.  Perhaps a good around town bike but not out on the open road?

Personally, I think my Katana 600 is overkill.  82hp.  Very usable power too, not some sport bike that has to be revved to death to move, the power band goes down pretty low.  The *car* I drove in high school weighed 5-6x as much, had 80hp, and I had no major issues with it.  I did normally have the pedal on the floor all the way down the on ramps to get up to merging speed, but in all the years I drove it there was never a situation where I needed more power.

Buzzy, twitchy, fun, makes you feel like you're accelerating like a bat out of hell when you really aren't (well compared to other bikes you're not, compared to cars it's pretty quick off the line). They are a blast to ride. Best in the city or curvy roads, not as fun on the freeway. I struggled maintaining 70-75mph. And that's with a WOT, which since a Ninja 250 has an 11,000rpm red line, is buzzy as hell.

And that Katana may be overkill, much like my Ninja 650, the fun factor more than makes up for it. But for the 100% frugally minded, I wouldn't recommend any sort of 600cc+ sport bike.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »
just bought a Sym Mio 50cc scooter off craigslist for 300 bucks.  And the fun begins!

This is the mustachian answer. While I love my motorcycles and did crazy things that still give me goose bumps, I would never recommend a motorcycle to anyone for the "fun" factor, as even the most disciplined among us will eventually take risks they would not take in a Geo Metro or a moped.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2014, 07:04:11 AM »

This is the mustachian answer. While I love my motorcycles and did crazy things that still give me goose bumps, I would never recommend a motorcycle to anyone for the "fun" factor, as even the most disciplined among us will eventually take risks they would not take in a Geo Metro or a moped.

I couldn't even drive to work on that thing. I'd be driven off the highway by someone in a truck. But for straight urban driving it might work. If I was a fan of scooters, I'd look at something at least 150cc, maybe even 250cc. Of course then I'd just get a real motorcycle, and here we go down that road...

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2014, 07:40:54 AM »

I couldn't even drive to work on that thing. I'd be driven off the highway by someone in a truck. But for straight urban driving it might work. If I was a fan of scooters, I'd look at something at least 150cc, maybe even 250cc. Of course then I'd just get a real motorcycle, and here we go down that road...

I chose 50cc because it is street legal and does not require a license, insurance, or registration (saving me money).   I have been told it is a gateway to owning a motorcycle in a year or so...we will see.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2014, 08:03:36 AM »

I chose 50cc because it is street legal and does not require a license, insurance, or registration (saving me money).   I have been told it is a gateway to owning a motorcycle in a year or so...we will see.

Not to mention you said you got it for $300? Great price, and you're probably going to get like 100mpg with that thing.

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2014, 08:08:16 AM »

Not to mention you said you got it for $300? Great price, and you're probably going to get like 100mpg with that thing.

Yep, on the products page it is quoted at 100mpg.  I am keeping a list of all the expenses I am making for the scooter to see if it was worth buying used.  Hopefully the engine doesn't explode as soon as I start riding it every day :) Otherwise I think I will come out on top.

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2014, 11:47:47 AM »
Finally one I am qualified to answer fully!

OK, so given your needs:

My ctx700, even with an automatic transmission (yes, they make them!) gets 68mpg with 2 people and gear.  Oil changes are 8k miles apart, uses standard gas and oil.   OTD price brand new was about 9k after taxes.  Soon you'll be able to find them used.

I also have a used Helix, which is very easy to work on too.  bought it for 1k before I knew my wife had run up some other bills, film at 11.

For in town, we both drive smaller scoots, me getting 80mpg and my wife averaging nearly 100.   If you do most of your own maintenance then it's not bad.  Tires and major services are scarce enough with any of these bikes that you'll feel rich between.  Insurance is also cheap. Even with the brand new bike, all 4 cost us less than $500 a year for full coverage

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
    • Radical Personal Finance
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2014, 06:40:15 PM »
...as even the most disciplined among us will eventually take risks they would not take in a Geo Metro or a moped.

This is true.  I'm glad I drive a minivan as my primary (and only) car these days...I drove an [almost] new Corvette a few weeks ago and I'm certain that I would have to have a separate budget category for speeding tickets if I owned one.  The minivan?  Not so much...

warbirds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
Best I can tell there are a bunch of nancies afraid to ride a motorcycle who have added no value to the actual topic.

I won't bother with those folks- for me I ride a Honda 919- which was actually mentioned maybe a year earlier in the thread. 50mpg, all maintenance can be done by amyone with a basic ser of tools, and it keeps the miles off of my paid for 99 Acura.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2014, 03:17:21 AM »
Here is my top 10 list of motorcycles for smart people:

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2014, 03:25:59 AM »
BTW. I still occasionally ride my '85 Harley Super Glide (got it 15 years ago for $3,000 from my uncle, which was pretty much a steal).

I'm not sure it's smart.

But it is fun. :)

Though my wife has a tendency to tell me to "grow up" when I want to ride.

I'm 51.  If I haven't grown up by now, it ain't going to happen! :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 03:34:02 AM by libertarian4321 »

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2014, 03:27:22 AM »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 03:32:45 AM by libertarian4321 »

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2014, 08:20:14 AM »
Here is my top 10 list of motorcycles for smart people:

LOL.

Seriously, though, if you're going to bike, I'd recommend something with ABS; they've been shown to cut the risk of death by almost a third. Also, at this point, around 1/4 bikes come standard with ABS, while it's optional on at least half of them, so it's an option well worth paying for. Unfortunately, I have no idea about specific models to suggest, but the folks I know who ride Hondas swear by them, rather than at them, so I'd start there.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:22:06 AM by CarSafetyGuy »

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2014, 02:54:29 PM »
Seriously, though, if you're going to bike, I'd recommend something with ABS; they've been shown to cut the risk of death by almost a third. Also, at this point, around 1/4 bikes come standard with ABS, while it's optional on at least half of them, so it's an option well worth paying for. Unfortunately, I have no idea about specific models to suggest, but the folks I know who ride Hondas swear by them, rather than at them, so I'd start there.

I've heard great things about the Hondas with ABS, but I'm Mr. Anti-Honda, so I can't buy one of those.  :-)  The Ninja 300 ABS (other than the first year recall due to fluid contamination) also sounds really good.  I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that my insurance quotes were half as much for the same bike with ABS vs. without.  They don't give out discounts like that without a good reason...  :-)

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2014, 05:13:39 PM »
Even if you don't need to for a motorcycle license, it's likely worth your while to take a motorcycle safety course— you get a lot of good information and practice with regards to traffic dangers and how to handle your bike.

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2014, 07:14:44 AM »
Even if you don't need to for a motorcycle license, it's likely worth your while to take a motorcycle safety course— you get a lot of good information and practice with regards to traffic dangers and how to handle your bike.

I can't agree enough.  Most of the scooter accidents I've seen have been either reckless behavior of someone (not necessarily the rider) or folks on 50cc that don't take it seriously.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2014, 07:21:19 AM »
I love our Yamaha WR250R dual sports.  65mpg, easily does 70-75 on the highway then you can hang a left onto a rutted forestry road and head up with confidence into places you would not be comfortable in a jeep 4x4.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2014, 08:18:26 AM »
I rode a Honda Rebel. I think they are great bikes.

Cheap to own, cheap to ride, cheap to maintain, and cheap to insure. I think about buying another one all the time.

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2014, 08:21:28 AM »

I can't agree enough.  Most of the scooter accidents I've seen have been either reckless behavior of someone (not necessarily the rider) or folks on 50cc that don't take it seriously.

I plan on taking a course that ends with a motorcycles license this summer.  I might be upgrading soon after that :)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »
I plan on taking a course that ends with a motorcycles license this summer.  I might be upgrading soon after that :)
I plan on doing the same, NC is one of the few states that recognizes a $200 course as enough to give you a motorcycle endorsement. Yay NCDOT!

I don't plan on ever buying a motorcycle, just renting for shit and giggles once a year or so.