Author Topic: Toothpaste that is homemade  (Read 3751 times)

purple monkey

• Bristles
Toothpaste that is homemade
« on: August 26, 2016, 05:20:44 AM »
Do you wise folks have any frugal, quality homemade recipes for toothpaste?

TIA

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Toothpaste that is homemade
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 06:12:08 AM »
Just keep a jar of baking soda on the bathroom counter with a spoon in it.  Spoon some on your toothbrush and brush.

brotatochip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 06:27:34 AM »
You should only use baking soda once a week or less.... it's very abrasive and will destroy the enamel on your teeth.  Toothpaste is like $1 a tube

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 06:38:26 AM »
You should only use baking soda once a week or less.... it's very abrasive and will destroy the enamel on your teeth.  Toothpaste is like $1 a tube

With an relative dentin abrasivity of only 7, baking soda is significantly less abrasive than most toothpastes.  Don't trust me though, look up the abrasiveness index of common toothpastes and baking soda:

http://dendds.com/uploads/RDA_index.pdf

The main benefit of toothpaste is that it contains fluoride which can help rebuild your enamel.

kandilynn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 01:19:05 PM »
2 parts baking soda, 2 parts coconut oil, 2 parts activated charcoal, 1 part turmeric or ground clove powder, peppermint essential oil (or any other essential oil) and/or liquid stevia to taste. You can also use clay powder for remineralization, just do 1 part clay powder and 1 part activated charcoal instead of 2 parts charcoal. It's really great for whitening teeth.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 02:25:28 PM »
kandilynn, what is the purpose of the activated charcoal? 

(-:

kandilynn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 10:08:49 PM »
It whitens teeth. It's supposed to pull toxins out of your mouth and bind to them so it lifts stains and is also said to get rid of bacteria that causes gingivitis. It made my teeth really white when I was using it regularly, in my subjective opinion. I've never seen an actual study or anything conducted on it, but I think it's pretty great. I was a heavy smoker and it made my teeth white.

travelbug

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 03:10:26 AM »
have a bit of a google and check out brushing your teeth with coconut oil. It's amazing. you can put some peppermint (or whatever flavour you prefer) essential oils in if you like, but plain is great.

MrMoneyAbsent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 03:29:34 PM »
2 parts baking soda, 2 parts coconut oil, 2 parts activated charcoal, 1 part turmeric or ground clove powder, peppermint essential oil (or any other essential oil) and/or liquid stevia to taste. You can also use clay powder for remineralization, just do 1 part clay powder and 1 part activated charcoal instead of 2 parts charcoal. It's really great for whitening teeth.

+1 on that recipe! My wife makes it and we have been using it for 3+ years. Teeth are whiter then they have EVER been and I am terrible at brushing more then once a day. My wife aslo regularly used to suffer from canker sores; she hasn't had one since the switch.

SaveSpendGiveALittle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 02:05:45 PM »
I just use hydrogen peroxide

hucktard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 10:38:54 AM »
Toothpaste is cheap enough that it doesn't make sense for me to make my own. Our family of four probably spends $4 per year on toothpaste. Even if you have a very low income your time would probably be better spent finding a way to make a few extra dollars a year.