Author Topic: Tool organization in basement.  (Read 5125 times)

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
Tool organization in basement.
« on: September 12, 2014, 12:45:48 PM »
So I just bought my first home about 9 months ago and I have begun to accumulate quite a bit of equipment for doing DIY on this place and its starting to become somewhat of a mess. I have a very small basement. My "workshop area is maybe 10' x 8' and there is a second room which is mosly occupied with boiler, water heater and laundry, but is of approximately 20' x 8

Anyways, the long and short of it is: Frugal tool storage, how do you do it? Any tips?

lavar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Tool organization in basement.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 01:10:01 PM »
Where possible I think it is best to build it yourself. If you go out looking for cheap storage solutions and tool boxes you will find things you would likely need to "shoehorn" into your space and to suit your needs. By building it yourself you can arrange it exactly as you'd like and because you built it, you will be able to take it apart, modify, and replace as your needs changes. Plywood and 2x4s are much more adaptable than prebuilt metal or particleboard options out there.

To that end I'd recommend looking for a book or magazine on setting up a workshop. The library would likely have some options. Alternatively I find there is almost always a woodworking magazine issue out that addresses this issue or short book that does the same at various hardware stores. I recall home depot has a collection of such books.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 01:25:17 PM »
While I've long had a pretty large roll away toolbox for hand tools... my yard tools are hung up just by banging some nails into the wall. 

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 01:29:14 PM »
I just saw an example on pinterest of a file cabinet that was lain on its back with drawers removed and it became a long handled tool organizer.  Pretty cool idea if you have one of those metal file cabinets you want to repurpose.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »
Many years ago, my Dad and I built a workbench with a stainless steel refrigerator door from a junkyard (great surface!!!) and some very sturdy heavy duty file drawers his employer threw out as a base (bolted together).  That was some 45 years ago and it is still standing.

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 01:44:55 PM »
I have a basic toolbox, a cheap set of shelves, and a large mounted particleboard with hooks.  On my shelves I use the tops of cardboard bankers boxes liberated from the office, labelled, for organizing. Works great, very low cost.

usmarine1975

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 01:52:28 PM »
I wouldn't go buy a book on tool organization.  Just google it.  Pinterest will also give you idea's. 

The basic thing is to know what type of work your going to be doing and what for work surface you will need.  Build your work bench first and strategically place it in the space you have.  You want the workbench to be clear of clutter etc... So you can actually work on stuff.  Mine currently is cluttered.  Then take what you have on hand and look at building a shelving unit etc...

You can put drawers under your work bench or even have storage under but I wouldn't get to crazy underneath the work bench.  Many shop guys will have their workbench the same height as their table saw as it's set up.  It allows the workbench to double as a feeding catching tray for whatever you may be ripping on the table saw.

You might be surprised to know that a Table Saw will cut miters.  I gave up my chop saw for space and use the table saw for miters using the sliding miter gauge that came with it.  Obviously you need to handle this safely as Table saws can be dangerous.

The next important thing is some sort of dust control.  shop vac, dust control system etc...  I am currently using a shop vac.  It works ok and probably would for you as well.  Again all this depends on what you will be using your space for.  Happy Googling.

Hugerat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 02:02:40 PM »
Unless you can get the materials very cheaply or free I've found that building your own shelving is no cheaper than buying sturdy shelving from Home Depot or Lowes. I do second the hooks option though. This can be nothing more than a 4x8 sheet of plywood nailed to the wall and a bunch of nails as hooks. Everything is immediately visible and easy to reach and it takes no floor space. Screwdrivers can be stored in a piece of wood with holes drilled into it and also nailed to the plywood.

usmarine1975

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 02:50:24 PM »
If you watch Craigslist material for shop stuff can actually be gotten pretty cheap.  I spent 15 years as a carpenter so for me it usually was just left over material that I decided not to return and instead used or scraps that were heading for the dumpster that I just kept.  My basement is full of stuff. 

Free Pallets can be had pretty easily given you plenty of 2x material.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 04:11:25 PM »
I wouldn't go buy a book on tool organization.  Just google it.  Pinterest will also give you idea's. 

Thats a good idea, i have gotten DIY project ideas here (pinterest) so why not tool organization as well.

mudgestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 06:22:21 AM »
Pinterest has TONS of tool organization stuff! I have a board called "for the Hubs" that pin that kind of stuff to. It's amazing the creative ideas people come up with.

Stlbroke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 08:28:33 AM »
For my basement workshop area, I bought unfinished kitchen cabinets from menards.  They were cheaper than HD and lowes. I have wall cabinets hung high, and sink base cabinets at the bottom with a countertop from lowes that was on clearance.  All of my hand tools are neatly organized on peg board and power tools, paint, etc is stored in the cabinets. The project costs me around $500 but looks real nice and helped me get organized. I tried for months looking on craigslist but eventually determined buying new was the best option