Author Topic: Too soon to go back to the well?  (Read 2537 times)

Shade00

• Stubble
Too soon to go back to the well?
« on: February 06, 2015, 02:50:43 PM »
I work in a smaller-market office of a large law firm. My salary has gone up over the past few years but there have been no adjustments across the board despite very good firm performance, even during the economic downturn. Our firm is also very stingy with bonuses. Back in September I got an offer from a competing firm (through a headhunter) with a competitive compensation package, including a better bonus structure. I took the offer to my current firm and managed to get some extra money.

Fast forward six months, I am once again being recruited heavily by two major players in my practice area, both of which would require a move to a nearby larger market. My wife and I would be fine with the move, as it would open up some other interesting possibilities for her. Further, one of the firms is a big enough player that it would be a significant accomplishment just to have the firm name on my resume.

The problem is this - wife and I don't really want to live where we are now or in the nearby market for the rest of our lives. We have had our eyes on Nashville for a while (for family and other reasons) and recently had what looked like a promising opportunity to go there. That didn't pan out.

Aside from being unhappy with my current firm's compensation structure, I like the firm a lot. It is generally a 9-5:30 job and I almost never work weekends. The firm's culture is excellent and I work with some great people.

So my question is this - would you go back to the well so soon (just 6 months) after your last offer from another outfit? I'm not interested in going to my firm to ask for more money (although I would certainly like it), but rather to ask for a transfer to Nashville. A transfer would certainly be possible, but it will take some work.

I know the firm wants to keep me, but I am afraid of the reputation I might get if I keep going back with competing offers.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
Re: Too soon to go back to the well?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 03:07:07 PM »
I would not ask them to match competing offers this soon.

I'm a retired HR Manager.  My advice to management was always to not match competing offers.  Your situation demonstrates why.  If employees are unhappy with their job/pay they may stay if the new offer is matched, however, it often/usually leads to the employee either leaving the job or coming back again with a new offer to match - frequently within 6-12 months.  At that point management feels blackmailed and the employee feels put upon because the only way to get what they deserve is to threaten management.  Not a great long term situation.

So stay or take the offer, but don't look to have the second offer matched.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
Re: Too soon to go back to the well?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »
What Mary said...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!