Author Topic: Too Soon to Change Jobs?  (Read 2535 times)

Urizen

Too Soon to Change Jobs?
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:22:05 AM »
Recently, I took a job as a supervisor at a multi-branch library system in a very rural part of the country. The pay is great for the area (though still not quite where I want to be), the location is nice (but still not quite where I want to be), the system itself is active and worth working in (though still not QUITE where I want to be).

One reason I took the job was because the director would be retiring soon, and she made it clear to me that the board hoped that I would be able to move in and fill her position once she left. However, she ended up leaving much sooner than expected. The board is impressed by me, but I have only had the job three months and they simply are not comfortable advancing me that quickly. So, they have passed me up and are considering other options.

I completely understand their decision and respect it, but for me this is a bit of a blow to my professional plans. As I said, this system is good but not exactly where I wanted to work. It's too rural, the pay where I am now is too low, and the community is not as interesting as I'd like. However, I took it because I knew I could advance quickly to a position where I would both enjoy my work and be earning the sort of income necessary to save for my FIRE. Now, however, I may have to wait five, ten, or even twenty years before the position swings open again. So, I'm looking at finding work elsewhere.

Is three months too soon to start trying to leave? Would it hamper my career down the road? I hate to leave so soon (especially because they are a great bunch, even if it isn't quite where I want to be), but I have to consider my own career. I was looking to advance to (for me) a terminal position in a few years. Now, it may not happen for a decade. And there is no other area for advancement here, so my only option is to look elsewhere. I'd like some outside perspective on this.

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
Re: Too Soon to Change Jobs?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:45:20 AM »
Given that there was at least some expectation that you would be moving into the director role and were subsequently passed up, I see no problem with leaving.

Given the small dissatisfaction with pay, location, etc, I don't see any problem with leaving.

I would definitely get your resume out there and start looking for other opportunities. I mean, if you're here I imagine you're not planning on working for fifteen or twenty more years, so there's no reason to wait for an opportunity that may never come if you're not completely happy with where you're at now.

That's my two cents. Hope it helps.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 11:46:46 AM »
I agree.  I'd start looking.  It seems like  a short period of time, but you never know how long it will take to get another position.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 02:48:10 PM »
If the board is still mulling over options, what about offering your services for 3-6 months as the provisional director (at your current pay rate) so they can see how you do.  If they are satisfied at the 6 month mark, they promote you; if not, you move on.