Author Topic: Toilet advice—need a space saving solution  (Read 2111 times)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
Toilet advice—need a space saving solution
« on: November 23, 2019, 07:04:24 AM »
I need some toilet/plumbing advice please.  There is 4 inches of empty space between the bathroom wall and the back of my current toilet.  The current toilet is 26 inches long/deep.  So that makes 30 inches from wall to toilet edge that juts out into the walking path.  I would prefer something much shorter as I am having a walk-in tub installed next to the toilet and so I need a toilet that projects less in the walking path.  I am presuming the current toilet is a 12 inch rough in.  Is there a way to tell?  The current toilet is only a couple years old. 

I only have one bathroom in the condo so any toilet needs to work well 100% of the time.  I have looked online at different compact choices and of course reviews vary.  Do you guys have any short-depth space-saving toilets to recommend?  Is there a better way to utilize the empty 4 inches between the wall and the toilet tank to make it look better as well since the wall texture is rough there?  I appreciate any good advice!

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Toilet advice—need a space saving solution
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 07:11:28 AM »
Years ago I saw a photo where the drywall was removed and that was enough to tuck the toilet into the wall and satisfy the code requirements for space.  It actually looked okay, although I can't recall what they did to finish it - maybe just drywalled that area around the plumbing?
If I find the photo I'll paste it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 07:47:52 AM by LaineyAZ »

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 10:45:04 AM »
I feel like surely someone here has installed a space saving toilet!  :)

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 10:49:20 AM »
Have you looked at this?  I have not installed one, but I am looking for one that's less than 26 inches if possible.  I'd like to go Kohler, but they don't have very small toilets

https://www.solidtoilet.com/24-25-inch-depth-toilets/

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 10:54:48 AM »
My friends recently had a similar problem. They were remodeling their master bedroom to install a bathroom in a pretty tight space. They went with a wall-mounted toilet (similar to this), which attaches to a tank in the wall (similar to this). That bought them several inches, as the whole tank part is now recessed into the wall.

Of course to install one of these, you'll have to tear out your wall, move the plumbing, and redo the floor. These toilets themselves aren't cheap to start with. How badly do you want to move the thing?

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 04:48:56 PM »
I only have one bathroom in the condo so any toilet needs to work well 100% of the time.

What will be critical is determining the distance from the floor drain to the wall.  You may have to remove the toilet to see what the distance is, and also see what else might be going on under there.  You may have to replace the wax seal if it gets damaged while you're doing this.  So be prepared with a replacement seal, seeing as it's your only toilet.  You'll have to shut off the water, and do your best to get out as much of the remaining water as is possible, before you move it.  Have some old rags and cardboard handy.

Once you know the distance from the center of the drain to the wall, you can compare it against specs for a replacement unit.  You'll also learn whether you need to move the drain and its plumbing closer to the wall.

Will you be replacing the tiles at the same time?  Hopefully you won't have to, but moving something like that might mean that it might be the best time to do it.

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 09:21:35 PM »
There's no toilet that will solve your problem, you need to change where the drain is. Take the toilet out, move the drain 4" closer to the wall. As another poster said, you can buy a Geberit wall-mount toilet but you need 2x6 studs on 24" spacing to accommodate them. That would save you more space but you are rerouting the drain, buying a $1500 toilet, patching the sheetrock, and replumbing the water supply. All depends on how much you want to spend to solve the problem. $4000 would get you the whole shebang, wall mounted toilet assuming your framing works. $800 might get you the drain moved, toilet reset farther back and the front of the toilet would probably cover where the tile was missing. Or, just get used to the toilet and get an over the toilet storage thing for bathroom knick knacks. All fine options.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 11:44:01 PM »
Or, just get used to the toilet and get an over the toilet storage thing for bathroom knick knacks. All fine options.

No, knickknack storage is not the problem—the problem is that once the walk-in tub is installed, the toilet juts out too far into the walking path to enter the tub, like I said in my original post.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:53:39 PM by MoolahLula »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 02:17:24 AM »
The problem is that whoever built the condo made a mistake with the location of the drain and then installed the toilet without correcting it. affordablehousing is right that correcting the location of the drain is the answer.

The alternative/additional answer is to start from scratch and look at solutions for the whole bathroom rather than just the toilet.  For instance, in a small bathroom do you need the bath, or could you take it out and have a shower enclosure instead?  Could you swap over the locations of the shower and the wash basin?  Could you make more room by taking out a cupboard in the bathroom or adjacent to the bathroom? 

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 05:13:38 AM »
I'd like to do something similar whenever I get around to remodling our bathroom - same issue with the toilet spacing - maybe a pipe dream, lol ;0 !

But why do the toilets that are flush with the wall have to float off the ground? That just seems unnecessary and would make me nervous! What is the maximum weight load? I'd hate to worry about larger guests using the facilities! I'd worry about anyone using tbh.

It seems that is an aesthetic, whereas I would just be looking to conserve as much space as possible - similar to the OP.

Sonos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 05:24:16 AM »
We installed this toilet. It’s only 24” long and when we installed it cozies right up to the wall when we installed it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Swiss-Madison-Sublime-II-1-Piece-0-8-1-28-GPF-Dual-Flush-Elongated-Toilet-in-White-SM-1T257/303804149

We use 1 ply paper, as it’s not the strongest flush, but it you don’t put too much paper in at once, it’s works great.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 04:06:04 PM »
But why do the toilets that are flush with the wall have to float off the ground? That just seems unnecessary and would make me nervous! What is the maximum weight load? I'd hate to worry about larger guests using the facilities! I'd worry about anyone using tbh.

Would you feel better about the concept if I point out that wall-mounted is a very common design for toilets in public restrooms? Surely you've used some just like this before. These toilets take a lot more abuse than home models. This design certainly makes mopping easier.