Author Topic: Toddler using insane amount of toilet paper  (Read 8385 times)

kevj1085

• Stubble
Toddler using insane amount of toilet paper
« on: March 19, 2017, 07:54:57 PM »
Lol sorry just wondering who else has gone through this. Our 3 almost 4 year old is trying so hard to be independent and we encourage him to do so, but after he poops he will say I'm all done! And there's almost a whole roll in the toilet! I love that he is trying and don't want to stop him, bit how do you explain to them they don't need so much? I can tell it to him and he'll say ok but then keep doing it.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Toddler using insane amount of toilet paper
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
I'm not a parent, but I'd probably show him how much he needs (like, show exactly a foot or so), and then if he still can't use less, then hide the toilet paper and just portion out how much he would reasonably need each time he visits the potty.

Simpli-Fi

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:48:11 PM »
My wife does, haha!  Can't seem to stop it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:57:11 AM »
I don't have kids but I have picked up a few tips from my friends with little ones.

- squish the toilet roll into an oval shape so it doesn't unroll as easily
- unroll it and mark it where you think will be enough for him, then re-roll (inspired by this Cottonelle product targeting toilet-training kids http://parenthacks.com/2006/04/cottonelle_kids.html)
- come up with a reward system where he gets a sticker or something each time he uses the correct amount

Your mileage may vary.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 04:23:46 AM »
My three year old did that. I taught her that because she's three, she can use three squares. I'm assuming your almost four year old know some how to count.

For toddlers, you have to give concrete instructions. Telling them "don't use too much" is useless because they have no concept of "too much".

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 04:45:42 AM »
My wife does, haha!  Can't seem to stop it.

Introduce your wife to wet wipes. After using an initial amount of toilet paper, the wet wipes can clean the remaining, difficult places. They need to be thrown into the bin, not into the toilet. In the baby department of the store they sell cheap wipes.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 06:00:21 AM »
Oh, yes, I remember those days.  Especially because expensive TP is one of DH's must-haves.  So I already thought we were spending ridiculous amounts of money on high-quality sewer fodder, and seeing half a roll disappear was bat-shit crazy-making.

I do believe that I told/showed them 3-4 squares (don't know where that came from, it just looked right in their little hands), and that it was better to take smaller amounts and wipe a couple of times when needed than try to manage with one giant wad.  And then I bought cheap TP for the kids' bathroom for a while so I didn't care so much when they forgot.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 07:05:13 AM »
I have a few friends that have put a mark on the wall below the dispenser. Their toddler unrolls to the mark, and that is much they are allowed to take.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »
I had a roommate during my last year working. Before I moved in with her, I bought a Costco brand pack of TP and it lasted me alone almost 2 years. Somehow, the two of us went through the second pack that I bought in about 4 months. I didn't ask any questions, but that astounded me. Not a kid thing, but just know that others understand :).

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 08:48:46 AM »
Yup, it's a toddler thing.  Be grateful they haven't found the "stick the end of the TP in the toilet, then flush and watch it unroll into the toilet!" trick :P

This, too, shall pass.  When potty training our kids, I tell them a number of squares to use (in our house, that's four for little kids), and that helps.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 09:22:49 AM »
Yup, it's a toddler thing.  Be grateful they haven't found the "stick the end of the TP in the toilet, then flush and watch it unroll into the toilet!" trick :P

Or puppies - take the end of TP in mouth and wander into living room with a 30 foot trail of TP.  Puppy bonus - empty TP tubes make great chew toys.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »
Well, you could be grateful you don't have the opposite problem. I had to teach my toddler to use more toilet paper because wiping with one square produces, well, unsatisfactory results. She has made imlorovements om yhat frojt while her actual wiping ability is hit or miss. As long as her hands stay remkatively clean though... ;)

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 10:38:12 AM »
My 5 year old used to do the opposite and get shit all over his hands. I would tell him that's gross.

He seems to be doing better now.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!