Author Topic: To Take the Job....or Wait?  (Read 4809 times)

Zalo

To Take the Job....or Wait?
« on: September 14, 2013, 07:38:31 AM »
I have currently been offered a job .5 miles away from my college dorm as an office worker for the local library (Jones Library); I'd be typing up book cards and wrapping up books with thin plastic covers.

I have also applied as:

1. a music usher (sporadic working hours; it's can work as a supplement if I want it to)

2. a music recording tech (only one position available, definitely useful for learning about recording music)

3. a music library clerk (best job on campus as far as free time is concerned; highly sought after. I can read during work)

4. a part time check clerk for the Association of Amherst Students, which handles over $1,000,000 annually (would look great on future resumes, and I'd learn quite a bit about the inner workings of school finances; probably hard to attain)

5. and an IT supervisory role (which is looking for first years, and would again lead to nicer jobs down the road, plus I'd learn about management)

------------------------------------------------------

All of the jobs I listed after the Jones position are even closer to my dorm, around .2 miles, though that's probably not that big of an issue.

As for the pay, I actually don't know the pay of the Jones position, and I'm unsure on how to ask. The tasks also seem rudimentary; I had to take a typing test in the interview, and I was told that I type fast--which is good. I suppose the main benefit would be learning how to type difficult, numeric/symbol-heavy writing, and some arts and crafts. I'm unsure whether I'd be able to read while on the job, since it's not a desk position where I'm waiting around for people to check out books.

------------------------------------------------------

What are your thoughts, should I take the position...or wait for some of the alternatives? I have to decide by today, and I'm on the fence.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:10:15 PM by Zalo »

cdttmm

• Stubble
Re: To Take the Job....or Wait?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 07:45:23 AM »
Are you receiving federal work study? The on-campus jobs will likely have to first be offered to students receiving federal work study so keep that in mind.

As for the pay rate at the Jones Library, just call them up and ask them. You need to know in order to make a well-informed decision. Employers understand that and you've already been offered the job so it's not a big deal to ask.

Zalo

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 08:02:45 AM »
Are you receiving federal work study? The on-campus jobs will likely have to first be offered to students receiving federal work study so keep that in mind.

As for the pay rate at the Jones Library, just call them up and ask them. You need to know in order to make a well-informed decision. Employers understand that and you've already been offered the job so it's not a big deal to ask.

I am receiving federal work study, which the Jones Library had as a requirement for their initial application. I'm sure the jobs on campus take this into account as well.

I sent an e-mail to the Jones library employer detailing that I'll call in my decision later this evening. I also asked what my pay/hours would be through this e-mail. I'll decide based on the more experienced thoughts on this board and what the pay/hours look like.

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »
Okay, good to know about the FWS status. Keep in mind that whatever your award amount is will ultimately dictate the maximum amount you can earn during the school year from the jobs you've applied for. So if your award is $2000, for example, it still makes more sense to work 200 hours at $10/hour than 250 hours at $8/hour (always the possibility that the additional hours won't even be available, etc.).

Something to consider...if you want to make more than your FWS allowance you'll have to find an off-campus job where your earning potential isn't connected to your financial aid status. Unless you can confirm that you can continue working past your FWS allowance amount at any of these jobs (some colleges will put you on as a contract employee once you've used up your FWS money, but other colleges will not).

Hope that helps!

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Zalo

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 03:14:07 PM »
pay for Jones is $8.25 an hour, +$.25 every semester you return (which I probably wouldn't do since there's not much to gain aside from the extra .25 an hour). Hours are during the workweek from 9-5; which means I'd probably be working from 1 PM to 5 PM two days a week.

Zalo

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 03:25:44 PM »
I think I'm going to take it for this semester, and if I get the other jobs (or the chance to interview for them) I'll ask them to keep me in mind for the spring semester.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:29:03 PM by Zalo »

cosmie

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 10:40:59 AM »
Something to consider...if you want to make more than your FWS allowance you'll have to find an off-campus job where your earning potential isn't connected to your financial aid status. Unless you can confirm that you can continue working past your FWS allowance amount at any of these jobs (some colleges will put you on as a contract employee once you've used up your FWS money, but other colleges will not).

Hope that helps!
That's only for jobs that rely on FWS subsidies. At least at my university, there is an abundance of non-FWS jobs as well. Those jobs don't go through the Financial Aid office and is paid as a standard biweekly, hourly employee. Your wages are independent of your FWS award, so you can work it to supplement FWS or in lieu of it. Because of that, it's useful to clarify if a position is FWS or not.

Megatron

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 12:29:17 PM »
I would take that IT managerial job. Project management is a very sought after skill, especially in technology. It would get your feet wet with all the methodologies and development cycles of projects. I'm currently grossing 100K +, but if I have a project management certification (which you can only get (exam) if you have enough experiences), I can easily up salary that by 50 to 60%.