Author Topic: To repair, or not to repair (my ford taurus wagon)  (Read 1319 times)

dabighen

• Stubble
To repair, or not to repair (my ford taurus wagon)
« on: September 05, 2018, 08:24:25 PM »
Upon having my 4th kid, I had to get a larger car so I found a used ford taurus wagon that fit my entire family, rear facing seats the kit and kabootle...for $1,500 inspected for the next year.  Bought it as it was cheap and has gotten us 6 months or so.  Now i have to decide to do the $3,800 repairs it needs, rocker panel repair, and power steering system (which could extend the life a few years) or get another used vehicle.  It has 130k miles, on it but i think i can find a mazda5 with 70k or so for $9,000ish.  Thoughts?  I am literally 50/50 on what to do.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:26:08 PM by dabighen »

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
Re: To repair, or not to repair (my ford taurus wagon)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 09:17:59 AM »
Being that the newest Taurus wagon would be over 10 years old and your $1500 wagon needs $3,800 in repairs, I'd be inclined to say replace it. However, what is wrong with the rocker panel that it needs repair, is it just cosmetic? I've seen plenty of those old Tauruses with 200k plus on them. Might need some more info. Maybe you could find another independent mechanic for a second opinion/price?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 09:20:21 AM »
What does it need that costs $3800? If that's a dealer quote, try an independent body shop for the rocker panel repair, and an independent mechanic for the power steering. There are a lot of junked cars that you can get parts from, or even just buy new parts. A power steering pump is around $50 at Autozone - https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/power-steering-pump/ford/taurus

dabighen

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »
Being that the newest Taurus wagon would be over 10 years old and your $1500 wagon needs $3,800 in repairs, I'd be inclined to say replace it. However, what is wrong with the rocker panel that it needs repair, is it just cosmetic? I've seen plenty of those old Tauruses with 200k plus on them. Might need some more info. Maybe you could find another independent mechanic for a second opinion/price?

Being from NH, the salt ate it and it is rusted.  Will fail inspection next go around.  The power steering is the entire system, not just the pump.  Total quote around $3,800.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 04:47:46 AM »
Yeesh. I live in Vermont, and I do not buy cars in Vermont. Last one I drove down to South Carolina to get. 200k on the clock, but the body was show-room clean. Don't bother trying to save something rusted out, and given the costs of changing cars, I'd argue it's false economy to get a new $1500 beater every year.