Author Topic: To paint or not.  (Read 1732 times)

Metoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
To paint or not.
« on: July 17, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »
I have a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. Paid in full. Will probably keep forever. Last May, I has an altercation with the —— person next to where I work. Later I found the car with missing chip paints, scratches  on the hood, bumper and side panel and minor damage on windshield. Total coat over $1800 in damages. Police will not do anything even though this person has police reports against him and restraining orders.  I have the insurance payment minus my $500 deductible. Should I fix it and suck up the deductible or try to use touch up paint. It’s only a cosmetic issue, but will that decrease resale value if I ever decide to sell.  Is it worth it to fix? What would mustachians do?

brute

• Pencil Stache
Re: To paint or not.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »
Did you give the insurance the name/info of the person who caused the damage? They'll often track these people down and have a little more luck with the authorities than an individual will.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 10:42:38 AM »
no mechanical damage? if the car is otherwise fine, why would you roll the dice on a new-to you car that might have unknown problems? No one on this site will approve you buying a new car because you don't want to pay for some minor body work.

Metoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 11:45:18 AM »
I know it was very unmastaschian to purchase a new vehicle, but it’s been done. It’s will probably be my car til the end of its day. I guess I feel guilty not using the insurance money for it’s intended purpose.  The police and the claim adjuster has the name of person and address and phone.  But was told it will probably be a lost cause by both.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 01:35:20 PM »
The only damage I would be concerned about is the windshield... if something else hits it (on the freeway etc.) it can crack more and be quite dangerous. As for the other damage, if it bothers you, fix it... otherwise if you ever decide to sell, you can always get it fixed at that time.

Metoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 02:48:06 PM »
Thank you, ibmustasche. That makes perfect sense. I never thought about fixing it later if I needed too. We usually keep our cars to the end, so far.

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 08:29:05 PM »
If the windshield has a small crack, you may be able to have a glass repair service fix it for $130 instead of getting a new windshield. Otherwise, at least fix the windshield.

As for guilt - why ever guilt? You had an insurance claim that it's the insurance's job to cover. They did. Your premium is probably already up to pay for it really soon (and then some). Their job is done.

Not sure how you racked up $1800 in damages. Is this something touch-up paint can actually fix? I wouldn't park in the same spot next to someone willing to do this and pay $1800 to make my car shiny and dentable again.