Author Topic: To buy a home or continue with retirement  (Read 1712 times)

BourbonSofia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
To buy a home or continue with retirement
« on: April 14, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
Hi All,
Hi All,

I'm trying to decide if the best thing to do would be to buy a home (to entertain, just have a place to call my own) or to continue on track with FI.

No dependents
Salary: $80,000
Expenses: 1400 per month (including rent- this could change due to the area becoming more popular. Most of the rent around is $1000 and up)
Food: $500 per month
401k:$320,000
Brokerage:$75,000
HSA:$6,500
Real state in the area: $280,000 and up
Property owned: $12,000 car

I'll like to Fi at 50 but I'm between buying a home and delaying FI or max out all retirement contributions and continue to save for retirement. Another option is to continue with my FI plans and after I've reached my number, then consider buying a home then; my concern is that by then, rea state in the area will be even more expensive than now.

Thank you for your replies.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
Re: To buy a home or continue with retirement
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 10:20:27 PM »
I get the "buy a house" bug all the time.  I think mobility beats buying a home until you are FI (or you are 100% set on living somewhere for long, long term).

We are at all time highs too... Maybe it goes higher... But maybe hope (I hope reality hits sometime).

I'm currently 27, and since I rent, I had the opportunity to apply and get a 1 year rotation job in San Diego.  They are paying for my rent, and I'm milking it a bit by getting a roommate to pay me ($1250 a month).

If I had a home, I wouldn't have applied.