Author Topic: TMI: Dealing with sweat in the summer  (Read 5241 times)

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
TMI: Dealing with sweat in the summer
« on: June 30, 2016, 07:41:18 PM »
So I started walking more! Yay!

But...

Getting rashes between my legs. I imagine others who walk/bike alot have similar problems due to the sweat.

What do I do?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: TMI: Dealing with sweat in the summer
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 08:06:28 PM »
Options:
Change what you are wearing
Walk at a different (cooler, less humid) time of day
Powder (baby powder, cornstarch, that medicated powder)
There are friction reducing gels out there, runners use them - can't think of any of the commercial names

Are you getting a heat rash or more of a friction abrasion? The likely cause will help narrow to a likely solution

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 08:16:48 PM »
Depending on my weight my thighs touch. So losing weight helps me with this issue

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 08:19:22 PM »
This problem is super common for women, whose thighs tough more often than not. Sometimes it's weight related, sometimes it's just body shape related. Either way, it sucks and you shouldn't have to suffer through it. :)

Here's a list of solutions I found - some are powders and gels, some are physical sleeves to prevent chaffing. :)
http://www.xojane.com/healthy/chub-rub-thigh-chafing-solutions

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 08:30:06 PM »
Options:
There are friction reducing gels out there, runners use them - can't think of any of the commercial names

Bodyglide is my go to anti-chafe solution while running - there is something about your nipples bleeding that forces you to solve a problem.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 08:46:30 PM »
I wear form-fitting lycra pants. If the fabric layer is tight against the skin, it reduces the friction on the skin itself (it's transferred to the fabric instead). You can wear them under looser clothing if you're trying for a certain look, but most athletic stores carry a wide variety of this type of clothing. Some types even have lifting and firming capabilities and make your butt and stomach look great when wearing them.

Try them on and make sure there are no wrinkles or hanging loose anywhere, but you don't want them so tight they feel like they're cutting off circulation.

Also, be aware that if you're exercising enough to get sweaty, lighter colors will show that. So stick to black or crazy color patterns, or it will look like you had an accident when you get in a good workout. ;)

Powder works for a short time if you're not expecting it to last all day, but if you're a woman, you should be careful about using talcum/baby powder in the groin region as there have been recent reports that it can increase cancer risks. Most places sell powder cornstarch as "bath powder" now and there are things like Gold Bond Medicated Powder(or the store brand knockoff that is likely the namebrand for much less the cost).

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 09:54:05 PM »
I think mine might not be as much excercise/body related as it is being in a country with little to no AC. I noticed im always a little sweaty. Ill try the powders and gels.

The problem actually got worse as I lost weight because all my pants are very loose now.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 09:56:33 PM »

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 10:12:34 PM »
Powder works for a short time if you're not expecting it to last all day, but if you're a woman, you should be careful about using talcum/baby powder in the groin region as there have been recent reports that it can increase cancer risks. Most places sell powder cornstarch as "bath powder" now and there are things like Gold Bond Medicated Powder(or the store brand knockoff that is likely the namebrand for much less the cost).

Yes, if you are a woman, do NOT use talcum/baby powder!  I personally like Gold Bond Ultimate Body Powder with Aloe:  http://www.goldbondultimate.com/body-powder.html.  There's a version specifically for men, as well:  http://goldbond.com/blog/product/mens-essentials-body-powder/.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 04:42:25 AM »
Seconding the Gold Bond powder.

Also, in a pinch, deodorant is an antiperspirant. A swipe or two on the inner thighs and you won't get a rash.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 06:06:11 AM »
If the crotch of your pants are riding a little low and letting your thighs rub, I'll second the vote for Body Glide. I initially started using it when I used to run, but still wear it anytime I'm wearing a skirt on a hot day and planning to do a lot of walking.

Juan@FinanceClever.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Life is good
    • Financeclever.com
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 06:57:35 AM »
First of all, congrats on the newly acquired rich habit of walking more :)
At the beginning of the hot season I also tend to get a rash in my chest and neck from exercising and sweating. I just kind of let it be and it goes away after a week or two as my body gets used to the heat. I'd suggest leaving it alone, you would be surprised of your own body's ability to adapt. If that fails, you can always try one of the products that have already been recommended.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 11:22:09 AM »
You didn't really specify what you're wearing. I have these issues and I've basically sworn off dresses and shorts of less than a certain length when any walking is involved. When I do wear a dress, it's with shapewear that goes to mid-thigh. As mentioned above, you can get "slip-shorts" for less coverage above and same protection down below.

Thanks for starting the thread, though. Bf and I signed up for a dance event that, according to our teacher, involves dancing poolside and jumping in; none of my cloth-based chafing-prevention strategies will work so I'll need to pick up some bodyglide, sounds like.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 11:27:54 AM »
From what I understand, Korea is pretty humid, right?  I second the recommendation for slip shorts (like this: https://www.undersummers.com/) or even just bike shorts, which keep the skin from rubbing directly against each other.  I agree that the too loose pants are part of your problem.  Even when I'm very thin and running marathons, my thighs touch, so I don't think it's necessarily a weight-related problem.

If you want to try something cheap, I've seen women cut off thin skin-colored pantyhose in to shorts.  I can't imagine it lasts long, but you could at least see if the shorts idea might help you.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »
Bicycle shorts/tights.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 03:32:37 PM »
Seconding the Gold Bond powder.

Also, in a pinch, deodorant is an antiperspirant. A swipe or two on the inner thighs and you won't get a rash.

+1 to deodorant. It goes well on many places.