Author Topic: tips for combating Netflix withdrawals?  (Read 5189 times)

sonjak

• Stubble
tips for combating Netflix withdrawals?
« on: July 06, 2016, 08:41:57 PM »
Hi all,

I just received notification that beginning in August, my Netflix service will go up to $10/month.  I am questioning whether this extra expense is worth the value I receive.  I don't pay for TV/cable other than this.

On the cancel side: there are spans of days where I don't watch anything.  I waste time watching things when retroactively I feel I would have preferred to do something else but it it's easy to just watch something.  I will often have times where the "reception" messes up and the picture/sound isn't synced or just gets really choppy and freezes (whether this is their fault or comcast's is irrelevant for this discussion) so I'm paying for something I can't use.  I have movies in my queue that I think I'll watch "someday" but are still in there a year later because I'm never in the mood.  They don't have all the movies I actually want to watch.  They have a lot of stuff that I have absolutely no interest in watching, including most of their original stuff.  When  I do watch stuff I often multi-tastk because it's not interesting enough to hold my interest. 

On the keep side:it's fairly cheap entertainment (although obviously less so with this increase), available with minimal effort (nothing to return or I'll get fined so if I don't use it I don't have to run out and make a return), keeps me connected to the few shows that I and my friends/coworkers watch so we can discuss and bond, there are a couple of Netflix shows that I really like (but the new seasons probably won't be out for another year), they have all the seasons of some older shows I really like that my library doesn't and that I definitely enjoy rewatching, they have movies I like and watch and don't feel the "need" to own because they have it and I can try a movie or documentary and either really enjoy it or turn it off and it's no loss.  Plus, my sister occasionally uses my account and I enjoy doing this for her (but she doesn't enjoy it $120/yr worth)

So I'm leaning towards cancelling but I need tips for combating the withdrawals I think will kick in.  Or just living life without Netflix.  I know this sounds melodramatic but I've had it for years; what do I do instead?

More nails in the coffin of why to quit would help; you all are always so insightful!

Sonja 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: tips for combating Netflix withdrawals?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:45:12 PM »
If you're on the fence, just cancel it.  Reevaluate in a month.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 09:03:06 PM »
So cancel it, and start checking out DVDs from your local library. They should have an inter-library loan service where they can get stuff from other branches, and have a pretty wide variety of titles (not just movies - television and music stuff too).

We currently do have netflix and enjoy it, but we get a ton of stuff from our local library too since they tend to get things in pretty fast and I can search and reserve online and they'll email me when the item is in for pickup.

Personally, I don't care if netflix goes up a few bucks. It is still a huge value for as much as we use and enjoy it, and they haven't raised prices in forever. But if you're not enjoying it, why pay for it? Especially since it would be super easy to rejoin if you do end up missing it.

EricL

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:10:26 PM »
- YouTube
- The library
- Visit friends who like the same shows
- Consider it extra time for all those projects
- Podcasts
- Games

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 09:29:05 PM »
Somebody in the other Netflix thread said they simply subscribe for a month at a time to binge watch anything that looks interesting. Then when all of the interesting content has been watched, they cancelled again. Seems like a reasonable compromise--I'm considering it myself.

Burghardt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 09:39:39 PM »
a 10$ increase? Wow, it's a total of 8-12€ (depending on quality) per month here.
Also it runs on monthly renewal - if that's available for you as well, and since you mentioned you're not always in the mood and will likely not always have time either, consider Netflix membership every other month or every third?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 09:43:46 PM »
a 10$ increase? Wow, it's a total of 8-12€ (depending on quality) per month here.
Also it runs on monthly renewal - if that's available for you as well, and since you mentioned you're not always in the mood and will likely not always have time either, consider Netflix membership every other month or every third?

No, it will go up to $10, not an additional $10.
Still a bargain if you like watching lots of stuff.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 09:51:36 PM »

No, it will go up to $10, not an additional $10.
Still a bargain if you like watching lots of stuff.

Yep..it's a $2.00/mo increase. Basically 3 cents a day.

Gonzo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 10:15:16 PM »
But how will you secure an unending source of horror B movies? 

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 10:47:49 PM »
These are the types of mr money mustache posts where im like - wtf bro if you watch netflix and like it pay the $10.  What is $10?  If you spend 10 hours watching it a month, that's a $1 per hour of entertainment.  Sounds like a deal to me.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 03:04:39 AM »
But how will you secure an unending source of horror B movies?

There's always Svengoolie on MeTV, and I understand MST3K has been syndicated out now to both PBS and Retro TV in addition to the extensive catalog of MST3K/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic/Film Crew episodes over at Hulu. Let us not forget the impressive collection of stinkers over at the Internet Archive, either. Clearly, there is no shortage of the drek, both OTA and streaming, with and without pre-manufactured snark, to last anyone a lifetime. :)

These are the types of mr money mustache posts where im like - wtf bro if you watch netflix and like it pay the $10.  What is $10?  If you spend 10 hours watching it a month, that's a $1 per hour of entertainment.  Sounds like a deal to me.

Spoken like a true tightwad who doesn't quite get it yet. Netflix is only "cheap" if you measure your life by how much money you spend per hour breathing, and you enjoy wasting your time, turning off your imagination, and letting other people tell you what to think and buy... and even if you refuse to turn off the idiot box, there's still no shortage of options that cost nothing but your finite attention in life to get that fix from. See above.

Now go read a book!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:11:13 AM by I.P. Daley »

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 08:37:49 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone, and helping me look at it differently. 

To clarify, I was questioning the value of it in my life lately anyway but with the increase, it was just a kick in the butt to me.  I do not feel $10/month is too much to spend for entertainment but it's becoming less entertaining.

I am going to cancel the end of this month before the increase, watching the things I really want to see now in the meantime and see how it goes.  I like the idea of only keeping it active a couple months a year and binge watching the things I really want to. 

I already use the library a lot and I was recently gifted with a Kindle so I've been also exploring free books on there via Amazon and the library mostly.  will check out the other suggestions people made too!

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 08:43:32 AM »
I got the same notification, and I went to their website and realized I could downgrade to a plan with Standard Definition and only one screen at a time for the same old $7.99 price. Since I never use more than one screen, and have been using an Wii as my streaming box and it doesn't even support HD, I did that.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 08:54:49 AM »
- YouTube
- The library
- Visit friends who like the same shows
- Consider it extra time for all those projects
- Podcasts
- Games

This is what I do minus the Youtube.  I go for hikes instead.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 08:58:46 AM »
There isn't a charge to join Netflix. So just cancel it. If you miss it, get it again.

There is a lot of free content available on TV channel websites if you really want to watch something mindless. You might not get "your show", but it's still an option.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 01:47:18 PM »
You can get an Antenna TV if you have a few local channels. Also things like a roku or similar device offer some free streaming services. If you enjoy anime both crunchyroll and funimation offer free content. I watch a decent bit of youtube too. I like playing video games too so that keeps me busy at times.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 02:09:32 PM »
I have just used my sisters account for when I need access to certain shows/documentaries/movies.  Find someone to "borrow" from or go in on with someone else.