Author Topic: Tip the Window-blind installer?  (Read 17410 times)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Tip the Window-blind installer?
« on: October 23, 2018, 02:33:17 PM »
I am having blinds installed on five windows and a sliding glass door tomorrow. The installer expects to be here around three hours. He so far seems pleasant and professional, (did a quick, obviously expert job of measuring the windows)  and has worked for the company for 25 years. Should I tip him, assuming I am happy with the job tomorrow? I was thinking about $20. I always tip people like waitresses, furniture movers...but this is a new one on me.

BussoV6

• Bristles
Re: Tip the Window-blind installer?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 12:42:33 AM »
Hell no!  Offer him a coffee or a beer after he has done a great job.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 10:27:57 AM »
What?  No!!!!  Yes, a beverage is suitable.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 10:33:08 AM »
I notoriously overtip and would probably tip him.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 02:31:25 PM »
Well, here's what happened: There was some kind of miscommunication between the installer and the (very inexperienced) "designer" or "consultant" or whatever you call her. So I have nice-looking fake wood blinds with no piece on top to cover the headrail, and sliding door vertical blinds that are about four inches too short. (The girl ordered wrong.) Everyone was apologetic and all will be fixed, but of course there was no question of a tip. I did make coffee for me and the installer, and I could tell he appreciated that.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 02:40:53 PM »
Did you tip the programmer who wrote the OS you used to start up your computer this morning?  Did you tip the last police officer who gave you a speeding ticket?  Did you tip the doctor who performed your last colonoscopy?  How about the teacher you educated you in fourth grade?

FFS, let's end this automatic assumption that doing something you're paid to do automatically means that you should receive a tip.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 06:48:10 PM »
Agreed, Guitar Steve. But I just didn't know, so queried the group to see what wise counsel MMMers could provide. Thanks for the responses, all.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 08:06:24 AM »
I'm on the side of tipping some small amount. 
Around here it seems that big name companies outsource the service work to individuals, so these are people working on a project basis without typical employee benefits.  When I had 2 workers at my house installing windows and doors around the holidays, I gave each of them $40 cash.  Both of them were surprised and happy to get it. 

I only do this for these big projects, not for the postal carrier or occasional landscape worker. 

Mrs.Piano

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 01:03:17 PM »
I tipped the reno people of a bottle of cheer each.  This was great repurposing because Mr. Piano and I had received the bottles as gifts, but we do not drink.  I also tip if I go to craft classes and the teacher is not the owner.  Never anything wrong with being kind.

partdopy

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 03:16:39 PM »
I tip my mailman every day.  In 2018 who doesn't tip at least 20% of the combined incoming/outgoing postage totals in your mailbox every day?  You probably also don't tip your mortgage company 15% for processing your payments either. Its a wonder they don't foreclose

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 09:26:04 PM »
I tip my mailman every day.  In 2018 who doesn't tip at least 20% of the combined incoming/outgoing postage totals in your mailbox every day?  You probably also don't tip your mortgage company 15% for processing your payments either. Its a wonder they don't foreclose

….every day....  vs. project worker doing a once a decade special project.  That's the difference.  It's a small cash amount for workers who are not the business owners and who are not employees with benefits. 

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 09:49:42 PM »
This is such a strange question to an Australian.  We generally don't tip unless the service is exceptional.  But:

Minimum wage US = USD 7.25

Minimum wage Oz = USD 12.91

I guess that is why the difference.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 07:26:32 AM »
This is such a strange question to an Australian.  We generally don't tip unless the service is exceptional.  But:

Minimum wage US = USD 7.25

Minimum wage Oz = USD 12.91

I guess that is why the difference.

I honestly don't understand the mindset of tipping at all.  If you think that the people serving you don't make a decent wage and need more money, stop supporting a business that doesn't pay a decent wage.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »
I don't get the whole tipping thing, either, although I do it at sit-down restaurants (a pretty rare event!).  Mostly because it's expected and it makes me look cheap if I don't.  I remember my parents going to a restaurant in the US many years ago, and having the server actually follow them out onto the street demanding a tip.  Can you imagine?

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 10:45:34 AM »
I don't get the whole tipping thing, either, although I do it at sit-down restaurants (a pretty rare event!).  Mostly because it's expected and it makes me look cheap if I don't.  I remember my parents going to a restaurant in the US many years ago, and having the server actually follow them out onto the street demanding a tip.  Can you imagine?
Having earned $2.75/hour pre-tax as a server... yes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 11:07:09 AM »

Where do you stand on tipping the guys who stand at highway exits and street corners looking for hand outs?  They've chosen to work a job that pays 0$ an hour, surely they deserve your money even more than someone serving tables in a restaurant.  Should they be allowed to follow people around harassing them for money not owed?

Slow2FIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 02:54:30 PM »

Where do you stand on tipping the guys who stand at highway exits and street corners looking for hand outs?  They've chosen to work a job that pays 0$ an hour, surely they deserve your money even more than someone serving tables in a restaurant.  Should they be allowed to follow people around harassing them for money not owed?

Guitarstv,

Normally you seem to make cogent and well thought out comments.  However, this time you are making a false comparison with a pretty shitty attitude.

I hope that you really do follow this statement if ever in the USA:
Quote from: GuitarStv
If you think that the people serving you don't make a decent wage and need more money, stop supporting a business that doesn't pay a decent wage.
Because otherwise, you are causing unnecessary stress and grief for someone who is laboring for YOU if you then fail to tip them as many states in the USA has for some awful reason deemed it okay to have the customers directly supply wages to the worker (through tips) as the restaurants only need to pay the servers something on the order of $3.50/hr.  Most servers can do just fine on this arrangement as the typical customer follows this method and tips appropriately.

PS - servers are not panhandlers, servers don't just stand around with their hand out expecting money to be given to them.  You probably should never visit any restaurant in the USA that isn't a fast food location.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 03:17:12 PM »

Guitarstv,

Normally you seem to make cogent and well thought out comments.  However, this time you are making a false comparison with a pretty shitty attitude.

I hope that you really do follow this statement if ever in the USA:
Quote from: GuitarStv
If you think that the people serving you don't make a decent wage and need more money, stop supporting a business that doesn't pay a decent wage.
Because otherwise, you are causing unnecessary stress and grief for someone who is laboring for YOU if you then fail to tip them as many states in the USA has for some awful reason deemed it okay to have the customers directly supply wages to the worker (through tips) as the restaurants only need to pay the servers something on the order of $3.50/hr.  Most servers can do just fine on this arrangement as the typical customer follows this method and tips appropriately.

PS - servers are not panhandlers, servers don't just stand around with their hand out expecting money to be given to them.  You probably should never visit any restaurant in the USA that isn't a fast food location.

Of course I tip.  I'm still allowed to be disgusted by the whole practice and will rail futilely against it at every opportunity.  Here in Ontario, minimum wage is 14.00$ an hour and a 15-20% tip is socially required.

Tipping is ridiculously stupid.  You're also not socially allowed to tip less for terrible service.  If I get a meal at a restaurant and the server brings me a single glass of water during the whole meal and screws up my order, they're gonna get the same tip.  If my server works at a fast food place, they make the same minimum wage but don't get a tip.  If my server works at a cheap breakfast diner they are likely getting paid even less than a server working at a high end restaurant . . . but will get less of a tip because 15% of a 20$ meal is a lot less than 15% of a 120$ meal even though the level of service is likely to be similar.  That's ridiculous.

You're right, servers are not panhandlers.  The server has a steady income in addition to the charity that they are given . . . and it's socially unacceptable to stiff a server.  Both are begging for money.  :P
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:10:54 PM by GuitarStv »

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 05:04:22 PM »

Well, okay ...... but I'm sure you knew going into the job what it paid and that tips are given at the discretion of the diner and not guaranteed, so .......

I think tips should be reserved for exceptional service and not just provided regardless of quality of service in order to top up a low wage.  Otherwise where's the incentive to do a good job?  Should every employer provide a bonus just for doing your expected job?  When a diner receives poor or mediocre service, should they still tip?  I once went to a restaurant on wing night at the bar, but we sat in the dining section.  We waited forever for everything, eventually realizing that we were low priority because most people were at the bar.  Paid with exact change and got an eye-roll from the server, but didn't feel in the least bad about it.  If the restaurant can't provide service in a reasonable manner, then either say so at the start and allow people to go somewhere else, shut down regular service on such nights or accept the consequences.  No, it wasn't the server's fault, but it wasn't ours, either, and we did pay the bill.  Payment received for services rendered.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 06:46:26 PM »
Welcome to the gig economy.  There's more and more low-paid workers in many areas of service work who are trying to cobble together enough income to pay bills. 
Another instance when I tipped:  years ago 2 moving guys moved my apartment full of furniture into a storage unit (long story there) and 3 months later when I had permanent housing I hired the same movers.  Very small outfit, and I'm pretty sure it was not a regular job for either of them.  I tipped both of them each time, maybe an extra $20 each.  They thanked me a lot each time. 
I'm not wealthy but I have a steady income that meets all of my needs and some simple wants.  I'm glad to give a few extra dollars here and there once in a while to a hard-working person.

foobaz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 09:43:00 PM »
I find it concerning that tips are making its way into new jobs, if anything the trend should be the other way around. How about we just pay everyone a fair and living wage in the first place.

FallenTimber

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 09:54:20 AM »
If I have contractors working at my house, I’ll always grill up some hot dogs or burgers and offer them a Coke. These guys work exceptionally hard and they always appreciate the gesture, which they cheerfully accept. I wouldn’t tip a one-time installer of blinds, but I would tip a painter who had spent the past 7 days working on my home. Reliable contractors are extremely difficult to find, so I tip the ones that I intend to use again in the future.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!