Author Topic: Tiny spiders  (Read 2605 times)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Tiny spiders
« on: June 08, 2017, 01:19:57 PM »
My house has a bunch of tiny spiders.
So tiny that I never see them.
But whenever I reach into or thru an area that hasn't been disturbed for a while, I feel tiny strands of spider webbing - no actual webs, that I can tell.  Areas like behind the toaster, behind the headboard, between the bottom of the kitchen cabinets and the wall...
The strands are so tiny that I only see them in the evening with a bright flashlight.

How do I get rid of the spiders?

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
Re: Tiny spiders
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 01:27:19 PM »
That sounds like spider mites. Do you happen to have a lot of houseplants?

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »
That sounds like spider mites. Do you happen to have a lot of houseplants?
Three.  And they are all on a small shelf in the corner of my dining room; with windows on each side of the corner.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 04:17:55 PM »
That would be all it would take. You might want to look up information on them. They can throw strands up overnight everywhere which is kind of alarming for people who don't know about them. The info online can tell you how to check if they are on your plants. If you don't have any on your plants, then I would check for some other idea. But if you have spider mites, they will go for the house plants.

RocketSurgeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 06:39:30 AM »
Are spider mites different from spiders? I always leave spiders alone in my apartment, because I figure if they're there they must be preying on other bugs and reducing the total number of six-legged free-loaders.

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 08:20:40 AM »
I don't know anything about spider mites, but those sound awfully similar to regular cobwebs.  Also spiders will only appear inside a house if they have food to eat otherwise they will stay outside and stop other bugs from getting inside.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »
Spider mites are vegetarian and eat your plants. They are a true pest though usually not a huge deal. Spiders eat insects. I am arachnophobic but as long as they don't come up and personal with me, they are permitted in the house. I don't particularly want some of the insects they eat living in the house, so I tolerate the spiders. I have a wasp eating spider in my carport who is making me rethink my hatred of spiders. He's big, hairy and scary looking but the wasps who try to build nests in the carport can't survive him which keeps us from getting stung so he's growing on me. But I still am leery about opening the door to the house when he is too close.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!