Author Topic: timing belt kit for my Honda Civic  (Read 4524 times)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
timing belt kit for my Honda Civic
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:00:21 AM »
That dreaded moment arrived!

I dont know much about cars and its one of the few matters that I dont feel comfortable at all... its a weird feeling because most things i am comfortable or can read about it and understand them easily but cars is a different matter! :D

with this in mind i was looking at buying a timing belt kit to have my mechanic change it.

Now... looking online, should I choose genuine Honda parts or after market OEM? I am seeing a couple kits on ebay namely:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Honda-Civic-Timing-Belt-Package-2001-2005-/131319161123?fits=Year%3A2001%7CMake%3AHonda%7CModel%3ACivic&hash=item1e933b6123:g:h2EAAOSwF1dUOEWL&vxp=mtr --- this one does not include the tensioner which i can always buy separate as well - is it something that is usually changed along with the timing belt replacement?

Or should i go with an after market brand kit instead like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Civic-EX-Vtec-1-7L-D17A-Timing-Belt-Water-Pump-/360320480053?fits=Year%3A2001%7CMake%3AHonda%7CModel%3ACivic&hash=item53e4c63335:m:mv2ywwZL7Gzf8UDLlR0dH2Q&vxp=mtr

i heard a few things from rockauto.com as well but no idea of what to buy there either... help is appreciated!!

I drive a Honda Civic 2001 EX Sedan 1.7 VTEC

Mr. Paws

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: timing belt kit for my Honda Civic
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:21:31 AM »
I wouldn't think the tensioner pulley would need to be replaced unless it was broken?  If the aftermarket belt is a different length you might need a different tensioner pulley to fit it.  But i am not a mechanic so take this advice with a grain of salt. 

I have changed belts before including an after market belt that did require a new tensioner to fit.  This was a performance mod on a camaro several years ago so it wasn't an oem aftermarket pulley.  You might search a honda civic forum for people that have done this before.

SimplyMarvie

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:11:32 AM »
We're pondering the same question, but for a Honda Pilot of slightly newer make.

Do you need to (or really, is it recommended to...) do your water pump replacement at the same time? I have heard that you should, because Honda water pumps often fail at about the same time-frame as the timing belt and while you've got the engine open you might as well... but I have no idea whether this is true or not. (And obviously, lack the skills or knowledge to make the call myself. We'll have our local mechanic do the actual replacement.)

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 10:17:33 AM »
IMHO, with the work involved with changing a timing belt, you're going to wish you had picked the more expensive genuine Honda to replace your old belt with.  I'd also do the water pump while i'm in there, tensioner not a bad idea either.

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 10:31:29 AM »
IMHO, with the work involved with changing a timing belt, you're going to wish you had picked the more expensive genuine Honda to replace your old belt with.  I'd also do the water pump while i'm in there, tensioner not a bad idea either.

On most cars, you have to take off these things anyway (or it's very easy to do so with the other work, like 2 or 3 more bolts to remove), so it makes sense to do it all at once.  Most of the cost is labor, so go with quality parts (OEM or high quality aftermarket).

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 10:41:08 AM »
Good parts aren't very expensive in comparison to the cost of the labor (either DIY sweat labor or paid mechanic) so go with whatever parts you decide to be highest quality.

I did this change myself on a hyundai accent to save a few hundred dollars and it was much less complicated than I thought... Once I got down in the engine I realized everything is actually a lot of really simple parts doing a complicated job. It still took a long time but that is only because it is hard to reach things because everything is so compact in the engines.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:45:54 AM »
On most cars, you have to take off these things anyway (or it's very easy to do so with the other work, like 2 or 3 more bolts to remove), so it makes sense to do it all at once.  Most of the cost is labor, so go with quality parts (OEM or high quality aftermarket).
+1
This is good advice.  Use OEM parts and replace at least the water pump.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:49:40 AM »

Yup, that's what I'm saying...

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 11:12:25 AM »
Honda does not make belts and things like that. They supply themselves and then stick their inprint there. The difference between going directly to supplier versus buying a bag that says Honda is more than double.

It seems Honda uses Gates belts and Mitsubishi on their accessory belts ... replacing the water pump wa already on my thoughts... should i replace the camshaft and crankshaft oil seals as wlel ?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 12:28:29 PM »
Here's another vote for replacing the water pump and tensioner at the same time.  On a lot of cars, the additional work to replace the water pump is literally something like "remove three bolts and remove the water pump, bolt new water pump on" right in the middle of the work, after taking off the timing belt covers, right front wheel, accessory belts, the crankshaft bolt, crankshaft pulley, more timing belt covers, timing belt tensioner, and timing belt.

Unless you're seeing leaks, I wouldn't worry about replacing the seals.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 02:09:50 PM »
The logic for replacing oil seals is that any oil leaks that reach the new belt drastically shorten its life.  It is the dire collateral consequences of belt failure that are the whole motivating reason for changing the belt as preventative rather than corrective maintenance in the first place.  So, if you worry about belt failure, eliminate all likely causes of future belt failure.

It may be that new seals are less likely to leak during the expected life of the replaced belt, so tend to it now.