Author Topic: Time Management, Physical Exercise and Stress Reduction  (Read 3850 times)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
Time Management, Physical Exercise and Stress Reduction
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
I've been doing lots of things lately to shake things up and grow a bigger mustache.

All within the past ~6 weeks...
I changed jobs but that was mostly because I wasn't furthering my skills.
I sold a 2013 car and bought a 2008 to gain cash and reduce insurance costs.
I switched from $45 Straight Talk to $25 Republic.
I bought home gym equipment in a big batch and have resold much of it, and canceled my gym membership.
I relisted my third bedroom to convert it back from office to rental.
I also resumed working on a freelance project that had fallen off to the side.

It's kept me quite busy and it has added some time to my daily commute (over 14 miles, mostly interstate). I don't have the gym option for cardio. I also have sesamoiditis which prevents me from running. So my only cardio option right now is a bike ride. If there's a question in all this, it's how do I get back on track? How do I find time for a bike ride between rearranging my house, cleaning and showing the place off to prospective renters? How do I get to bed earlier and get enough sleep?

As of around Sunday, my right eye has been twitching! I need to cut down on stress/anxiety and increase the amount of sleep I get ASAP!

How do I get rid of complainypantitis?!

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: Time Management, Physical Exercise and Stress Reduction
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 10:05:47 AM »
By priorities. Making all these changes may be important. But it will be up to you to decide that exercise is more important in the now than getting all your goals done now. Goals are projects. Your health is your lifestyle. You should prioritize your lifestyle higher than your projects. That doesn't mean stopping the projects it just means accepting and adjusting if they take a little longer.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 11:12:31 AM »
I also have a hard time prioritizing exercise even tough I know full well how much it improves your physical and mental health.  I tried exercising in the morning but am not a morning person and stopped withing a few weeks.  I tried to do it after work but events and mental exhaustion causes interruptions and eventually I stop.

What has worked so far for me is to make it a required part of my routine.  I bike to work now so I get exercise in the morning and afternoon.  I then do strength training as soon as I get to work because I am already warmed up from my ride in so it's much quicker. 

So if you have a disciple problem like me, make it part of your daily routine that you don't have to make a choice or use will power on, you just have to do it.  Only use your bike for errands that are within a certain distance.  You can only eat breakfast after exercising or you can only go to bed after doing 30 minutes of strength training.  Whatever you can stick to without using to much willpower.  Just keep experimenting on what will work for you.  Maybe it's not biking or strength training, do you enjoy any sports?  Joining a league with a schedule will put you on a routine and will make you look forward to the socializing aspect of it.

steadierfooting

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:36:02 AM »
I second 'make it a priority', and find an exercise routine you like.  I no longer have any sympathy for people making an excuse for physical fitness.  I have 1 year old twins, and work full time.  When my wife was pregnant I heard all the time, "you can forget about all the running you do once they come!"  One year after they are born, I've been running 5 days a week, 55 miles per week, every week, and could EASILY do more.  In fact, I sort of have been, after starting to follow this forum I probably walk an extra 10 miles a week instead of driving.

I run at 7:30pm, immediately after they go to bed.  Then wake up at 4:30AM on the weekends for my long run (15 to 20 miles).  Then come home, shower, spend 20 minutes sitting around to recover a little, then play with my kids generally all day.  It puts a little hardship on my wife who will work her grocery shopping or visiting friends around the schedule, but it's not too bad.

Probably 2 runs a week I complain about not wanting to run, I'd rather lay on the couch and do nothing, but I push myself, then my wife pushes me, to just go outside and give it a shot.  9 times out of 10 I'm able to do my full work out.

I watch on average maybe 1.5 hours of tv a week (30 minutes spread out throughout the week on news coverage of the weather, and 1 hour of some tv show I might like).  The only thing that has taken a hit that I miss doing is jigsaw puzzles and reading.  I used to read 2 books a week, now I'm like 1 every other.  The puzzles are more a factor of kids and finding space to do them without them eating the pieces...

Brian Fellows

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:46:17 AM »
My gym has a great quote on a chalkboard, in great big letters, that you see every time you walk in and out of the door.

"A one hour workout is just 4% of your day."

If you prioritize working out, it's just a tiny part of your day.  For me, it's also so incredible of a difference when I'm in shape vs. when I'm lazy that it's got a waaaay higher payoff than doing a lot of other things would.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:46:30 AM »
Good suggestions and points. I don't have much issue with strength training -- I still usually do that three times a week, which is about as often as I can push it at the weight level I'm lifting. Recovery time is important! But it has worked in the past to have regularly scheduled exercise right after work. Sure, that's when I'm tired and grumpy from my commute, but if it's on the schedule, and it happens, everything else flows better. (Less stress/anxiety, easier time falling asleep, more rest, better food choices, virtuous cycle continues!)

It looks like I should grab a bike helmet and start regular rides right after work to fix my complainy panties in a bunch problem.

As for early morning stuff, I have never found it to be a healthy option. When I get up earlier, I just become more of a zombie, do less activity throughout the day, make terrible food choices, and sleep poorly at night.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 12:17:41 PM »
Good suggestions and points. I don't have much issue with strength training --

Just lift the weights faster <---- Cardio!

Other issues, like going to sleep, is mostly about discipline.  I struggle with this alot too.  If I didn't work I would be a night owl.  Such as it is I still have to go to my day job, and I choose to start at 6:30am.  To get 8 hrs it's in bed by 9.  Which is especially hard in the summer since it is still light out.  My strategy is tv off at 8 and atleast in my bedroom by 9.  I might still read or do something relaxing, but being there helps put me in the mindset.  Blackout curtains also help for the midsummer stretch.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:21:56 PM by Cromacster »

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 12:49:04 PM »
I sort of feel the same way RE: cardio!

This spring, I was "active" every single day for ~50 days (had a sort of bet going with a friend) but I was finding bike rides the day after squats were brutal! (Doesn't help I'm riding a mountain bike on the streets and trying to go street speeds.) So I focused just on lifting, but... the lack of sustained elevated heart rate seems to take a toll on my overall health (aforementioned stress/anxiety/energy/alertness).

It's true - failing to get to bed earlier is 99.97% excuses. I don't watch TV much at all, but I find something to do in the late hours... need to build a habit of heading to the bedroom and focusing on reading to exhaustion.