Author Topic: Ticks on my walking commute?  (Read 5560 times)

blondegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ticks on my walking commute?
« on: June 05, 2013, 07:47:15 AM »
I live incredibly close to my job (~5 minute drive), so now that the weather has gotten nicer, I decided to walk the 1.3 mile shortcut to get to work the back way. Half of it is sidewalk, the other half is a carriage road, and a small portion of the walk is a short trail in a wooded area. Unfortunately, I managed to somehow pick up three ticks in my shoe today! This is a little discouraging because I really don't mind the walk, I like the exercise and enjoy being outside. However, I don't like the feeling of paranoia I get after I pull these critters off me at work. Honestly, it still feels like my skin is crawling. I'm not really looking forward to walking home either. I could take another way, but it will probably be longer, and not all of the main roads have sidewalks. I also don't own a bike. Any suggestions?

brand new stash

• Stubble
Re: Ticks on my walking commute?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 08:41:36 AM »
Bug Spray seems like the answer. Read the labels, but almost all repel ticks.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:54:01 AM »
If you found them in your shoe, they're crawling up. You would probably only need the bug spray around your ankles. If you don't want the smell at work, have separate "walking socks" and spray them, not you, and change at work.

Ticks usually drop from trees, too, so consider doing the same with a hat.

jp

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:02:06 AM »
I believe that ticks belong in the same class of "irrational fears" as bike riding in the suburbs and shark attacks. 

yes, you could get lyme disease... but the chances are quite tiny, and even then, the tick has to be attached for a long time.  I have had hundreds (serious) of tick bites. 

The key is to first accept that a tick bite is not a big deal.  But then, wear long pants and bring a change of socks and look in the mirror when you get to work to make sure none of the buggers have latched on.  Seriously, I think they have to be attached for 36 hours before they even have a chance to transmit a disease to you, and most of them don't carry any disease.   

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 09:12:03 AM »
Short gaiters, treated with permethrin.

Norman Johnson

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »
Tuck your pants in to your socks. Stay on the trail and out of the long grass and brush. Check your pants when you leave the trail. They like to hide where the seams meet (if you are in the bush for them long enough to climb up up that high). I would google to find out how long tick season is near you.

They are like any other crawling bug. Gross, but if you are only in the bush for a little bit, you will probably never get bit if you check yourself afterward.

Don't let them deter you from your walk!!! :)

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 10:20:13 AM »
Adding to what the others said -- just check yourself after your walk.  The darned things are rampant around here and I do empathize with what we call "phantom tick syndrome," the sense that they are crawling on you when they aren't.  Yuck!

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »
I got a celulitis infection from a tick bite last year, and had to be on IV antibiotics for 5 days, so I totally get the fear.

stinkindog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 06:26:38 PM »
i mix some orange, lavender, pennyroyal, and mint essential oils with water and spray it on my shoes and socks when going for a walk with the dogs. i haven't gotten a single tick since i started doing it and i live in a very rural area.

deciduous

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 10:58:14 AM »
Short gaiters, treated with permethrin.

That's exactly what I'd do if I were in a not-kidding-around mood. Permethrin will apparently last for about 6 weeks or several washings.

Dog ticks are gross but not all that frightening. Deer ticks are a much bigger concern. I removed one last week that was either on me for a couple hours or 2 days (days is more likely.) So now I'm being cautious, waiting for symptoms of lyme disease to show up. Fine so far.

Keep enjoying the walk! Practice your zen mentality.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 06:01:44 PM »
Another vote for permethrin. 

Treat the shoes, socks and lower pant legs of your attire per the instructions.  It doesn't smell.

Stuff works like a charm - before I started treating my hiking shirts, I'd look like I got hit on the shoulder blade with a shotgun from all the mozzie bites I'd get through the shirt where it was pulled tight against my skin.  Now......nice and bite (and itch) free.

tomatoprincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 06:22:23 PM »
Vote for permethrin, but be careful if you have cats.