Author Topic: Thrift-store negative space: What's NOT widely available used?  (Read 7218 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Thrift-store negative space: What's NOT widely available used?
« on: December 20, 2016, 10:26:12 PM »
Thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales are Mustachian bonanzas but I've recently been thinking about the items that can't reliably be found used.

Two types of goods that come to mind, correct me if I'm wrong:

* baby socks. Kid socks. Heck any socks. I've found new-in-box underwear before, but socks have never shown up

* fine stemware. Not impossible but good wine glasses or at least sets of wine glasses seem MIA. Too breakable to make it out of the house, or perhaps just too precious to ever declutter?

Are there any items you have sought at thrift shops that just don't ever turn up?

Lisapants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Thrift-store negative space: What's NOT widely available used?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 11:30:22 PM »
Baby/Kid Furniture

I was looking for a baby gate to keep my arthritic dog from going up the stairs. I tried 3 local thrift stores but couldn't find any. I finally went to a local kid's consignment store and was told that thrift stores don't want the liability of carrying those items.

In trying to think of things I rarely see, I wound up thinking of things I always see (Trivial Pursuit, silver looking trays, faux-brass finish light fixtures, etc) 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 11:54:46 PM »
* fine stemware. Not impossible but good wine glasses or at least sets of wine glasses seem MIA.

My local goodwill always has like a hundred wine glasses out.  It's hard to find more than a few that actually match, but who really wants matching wine glasses?  How would everyone be able to tell them apart?  I don't know about you, but when my family drinks there are always like eight different wine glasses scattered around the house and you want to be able to tell them apart.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 03:52:31 AM »
Boys' jeans/pants.  Girls' clothes of all kinds, easy to find.  Boys' shirts, yes.  But try to find boys' pants -- not there.  I guess boys wear them out. 

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 05:51:49 AM »
There are loads of socks at yard sales, much more so than at the thrift store.
My neighborhood ReStore has many wine glasses, often beautiful old ones. (I restrain myself - I sent several sets of antique wine glasses to the thrift store when we cleaned out my mom's house.)

We went to a big Baby Clothes Resale event at the local park this fall - there are about 5 times as many girl clothes as boy clothes sold, I'd guess! But we did score an assortment of pants for the GrandBoy because that's what he's growing out of fastest. Also, a gorgeous winter coat for $2.50.

I think you just have to cast your net a little wider for less common items.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 05:57:57 AM »
Men's pants without stains, fraying, and/or holes do not appear in thrift stores in poorer/ rural areas. I've learned I have to go to thrift stores in the city to find them.

Work or hiking boots other than in chidren's sizes. I can wear boys', so my boots come from thrift stores while his are new.

Carhardt or similar heavy-wear items.

The pattern, I think, is that all of these are things that are worn completely out rather than being given to thrift stores. Probably I can find boots because young boys outgrow them first.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 06:21:28 AM »
I'm a larger-than-average male (not that big, but 6', 210 lbs, athletic build) and I've never found any clothing in thrift stores that actually fits me, except for scarves and ties and such. So I'd say clothing in unusual sizes is hard to find.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:24:05 AM by vhalros »

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 06:27:17 AM »
Boys' jeans/pants.  Girls' clothes of all kinds, easy to find.  Boys' shirts, yes.  But try to find boys' pants -- not there.  I guess boys wear them out.
I find boys' jeans for young kids often.  What age are you looking for?

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 07:45:22 AM »
I'm a larger-than-average male (not that big, but 6', 210 lbs, athletic build) and I've never found any clothing in thrift stores that actually fits me, except for scarves and ties and such. So I'd say clothing in unusual sizes is hard to find.

I have the same problem. All thrift stores have men's trousers. None have trousers with a 38 inch inseam, or sport coats in a 50L.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 08:08:19 AM »
I have no problem finding wine glasses at thrift stores. They may not be matching but that is part of the fun.
Socks, underwear, bras, swimsuits (maybe you can find them used but I don't want wear them).
I cannot wear used shoes, I need to buy new shoes and break them into my feet.
There was one year (maybe age 2-3?) I didn't have much luck finding clothes for my youngest. I am thinking because they are particularly messy during that time, and things that would normally be donated had stains, etc that made them un-donatable?
kids rain jackets. I need to get a waterproof rain jacket for myself as well.
Usually if trying to find a very particular house tool, will just buy new. Yes, maybe eventually find a drill or that rake, but the hassle is such better to buy new.

What I like to buy at thrift stores: glassware, books, wood furniture, shirts, cool lamps, vintage linens, items to make Halloween costumes out of ; ). I even scored a brand new velour house coat for my Mom. They looked like they were donated new, and it was the style she liked (zip up the front).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:13:35 AM by partgypsy »

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »
I was at my local thrift store and they had no less than three dog gates -- but it is run by an animal shelter, so I think they may get more animal-themed donations.

My husband found a treasure-trove of Carhart at a local garage sale, but I've never seen them at the thrift store. I occasionally see good wool socks, but not very often. Never have seen a bathing suit. While I have seen scores of stoneware and china at thrift stores, I have never seen a good, complete set of Corelle. Our area seems to be lacking in wine glasses as well.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 12:38:12 PM »
I do think it helps if you go thrifting or to rummage sales regularly. When I had a Goodwill in my neighborhood, I was able to stop in once or twice a week on my regular walks, and I found fabulous stuff. Now that I have to make a special trip, its much more hit or miss.

But my family stops at thrift stores as part of any vacation, and so it's always interesting to see what's available somewhere else.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »

The 8-10 year sizes . . . . Maybe I have just been unlucky?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 04:23:06 PM »
Never have seen a bathing suit.

Now, I have seen a ton of swimming suits. One thrift store in our area has several large racks FULL of them. Any size you could possibly want.  Weird.  I am concluding from this thread that there are huge variations in thrift store inventory.   I guess it pays to visit lots of them!!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
Never have seen a bathing suit.

Now, I have seen a ton of swimming suits. One thrift store in our area has several large racks FULL of them. Any size you could possibly want.  Weird.  I am concluding from this thread that there are huge variations in thrift store inventory.   I guess it pays to visit lots of them!!

Demographics plays a role.

I sometimes wish I lived near retirement communities in Florida as the deals you can get on everything (cars, thrift stores, etc) are insane compared to here.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 07:18:11 PM »
Lately the shoes in local thrift stores have been in REALLY bad shape.   Specifically running shoes and hiking type boots.
Used to be the owner wouldn't donate something that grungy looking to the store and if they did the store employees would pitch them out but lately it seems everything is making it to the shop floor.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 05:59:43 PM »
Thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales are Mustachian bonanzas but I've recently been thinking about the items that can't reliably be found used.

* baby socks. Kid socks. Heck any socks. I've found new-in-box underwear before, but socks have never shown up

At least around here, I'm told the resale stores aren't allowed to sell used socks. 

I know our Goodwill isn't allowed to sell used bed linens or mattresses, although years ago, I popped my head in the back/receiving/sorting area and they had tons of blankets and comforters which they let me look through.  I found a beautiful bedspread for my Mom.  People donate them, but I don't know what happens to them.  Hopefully they don't get thrown away.

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »

Absolutely agree with this. My older son is almost out of his size 7 pants. I love the Kohl's Jumping Beans brand of pants for boys. They were good quality and I found them on the clearance rack all the time. But they only go up to size 7. The price jumps a ton for any size 8 pants.  I guess because that is no longer considered the little boys department.  Thrift stores carry very little in that size.  My budget is not happy about this.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 08:38:40 AM »
Age 4 and up, yes.  Holes in the knees, holes in the knees, for years.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 08:42:01 AM »

Hm.  My son is 10 but wearing size 8.  I admit he hates jeans.  I think part of the problem is that it's the age when kids are all different sizes.

He does get hand me downs, but the waist to length ratios on boys varies a LOT.  Some of his 10 year old friends are my height (5'2") and outweigh me.  My son is a head shorter and skinny.  And the kid we get the hand-me-downs from is also skinny, but even skinnier.  So he wears the "trim" sizes, which are a tad too tight for my kid.

I think he would still be wearing out the knees of his jeans if he wore jeans, based on the state of his kneecaps.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 02:22:19 PM »

Ah, probably not, I was looking at younger.

laka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 03:31:22 PM »
It does seem like the boy's pants return in larger sizes, though. We're looking at 12s and finally able to find some again.

Mittens. Can never find pairs of mittens at thrift stores (specifically kids, I don't think I've ever looked for adult mittens/gloves there).  Which makes sense, as the reason I want to buy mittens for my kids is that they constantly lose them.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 04:06:18 PM »
Tools!  They never carry them.  Guess it's a safety issue.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 04:40:59 PM »
My ReStore has a zillion tools, some of them so specialized that I have no idea what they are for.

They had about 15 pickaxes last week, for some reason.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2016, 12:00:42 AM »
I don't know about you, but when my family drinks there are always like eight different wine glasses scattered around the house and you want to be able to tell them apart.
My family uses things like these during large gatherings. Discreet, memorable, classy AF.

https://www.amazon.com/Joie-Drink-Wine-Glass-Charms/dp/B0051IQ0CS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1482562498&sr=8-4&keywords=wine+glass+markers+silicone

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2016, 12:08:18 AM »

interesting,  I have found a few Tall Girl blazers and a shirt at our local Thrift store...  plus blazers where the sleeves have obviously been let out.  someone my size must donate frequently and no one else wants work clothes in that size!

The funny ones , though are the small mens / large boys suits where the pants have been hemmed very very short.   like a 26 inch inseam.

I do have trouble finding less worn items or any pants for my husband, though...  shirts are hit or miss, but XXL and XXLT can be found eventually - - if you like summer prints and golf shirts.  (urban / suburb location)   

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2016, 12:14:50 AM »
Tools!  They never carry them.  Guess it's a safety issue.
If they are smart, they sell them off to another second hand store that specializes in tools.  Tools are often stolen, so need extra attention from staff. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2016, 08:08:50 AM »

At least around here, I'm told the resale stores aren't allowed to sell used socks. 

I know our Goodwill isn't allowed to sell used bed linens or mattresses, although years ago, I popped my head in the back/receiving/sorting area and they had tons of blankets and comforters which they let me look through.  I found a beautiful bedspread for my Mom.  People donate them, but I don't know what happens to them.  Hopefully they don't get thrown away.

I am a regular Goodwill shopper and while I find lots of good stuff at good prices, their bedspreads and comforters are overpriced. I don't buy them. It's too bad that your GW isn't allowed to sell used bedding. I suppose that is because they don't wash anything that comes in first.

The bedbug problem must be rife in t he thrift stores.