Author Topic: Three new job interviews coming in the next two weeks. How do I choose?  (Read 7121 times)

Bearblastbeats

Hello all and happy holidaze! :P

I would like some input from the community as to what move I should take for my next career move. I have a few interviews coming up in the next few weeks and I want to make sure I make the right choice (s).
Here are some details for each gig.

1. Company: Abel Womack in Lawrence MA (Direct Hire)

Material handling from lift trucks to conveying systems, provides a single piece of equipment or a complete warehouse or manufacturing system.

Position: CAD Designer/Drafter
Commute: 45 minute commute, may relocate eventually.
Rate: Potential to make upwards of 50k starting with potential for growth and recognition.

2. Company: Hampshire Fire Protection in Londonderry NH (Temp to Perm)

Hampshire Fire Protection Co. Inc. is a leading Sprinkler Contractor located in Londonderry, NH. We design, fabricate, install, test and inspect all types of fire sprinkler systems in a wide variety of occupancies throughout New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Maine

Position: CAD Designer/Drafter
Commute: 45 minute commute, may relocate eventually.
Rate: Potential to make upwards of 40k starting with potential for growth and recognition.

3. Company: Portsmouth Naval Ship Yard. (Direct Hire)

Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Kittery, ME - The primary mission is the overhaul, repair and modernization of Los Angeles Class submarines. Portsmouth Naval Shipyard provides the U.S. Navy's nuclear powered submarine fleet with quality overhaul work in a safe, timely and affordable manner. This includes a full spectrum of in-house support--from engineering services and production shops, to unique capabilities and facilities, to off-site support--all of which serves the multifaceted assortment of fleet requirements. Highly complex assignments ranging from a few days to over two years are routinely accomplished by experienced trade workers at the Shipyard. Portsmouth Naval Shipyard is focused on servicing the needs of the Fleet.

Position: CAD Technician
Commute: 20 minute commute from present location
Rate: Potential to make upwards of 35k to 50k starting with potential for growth and recognition.

I'll know more about benefits and employee morale once I interview but this should be a start.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:21:08 AM by Bearblastbeats »

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
Re: Three new job interviews coming in the next two weeks. How do I choose?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 07:24:31 AM »
Option #3 ....is that a federal position?  If so, do you have federal time already (or are you a vet?)  There are interesting beni's available there that might not exist in a non-federal position

5pak

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 07:29:20 AM »
A couple of questions:

On 2 and 3, what are the conditions of Temp to Perm? How assured are you of permanent work?

What's the main differences between a CAD Designer/Drafter and a CAD Technician?

How likely are you to relocate toe 1 and 2 if you get them?

What sort of growth potential are you looking at in these jobs? Is it likely if you do your work well or is all dependent on good contacts and luck?

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 08:01:33 AM »
I actually think the third option is direct hire and it is federal work for the ship yard.

There is no real difference in the title. It's basically just utilizing computer aided drafting to produce construction documents.

The growth would be nearly the same I would imagine at any of these postions, where I would like to end up would be some sort of "Design technologies Manager" "CAD Manager" "SR. CAD Tech" "SR. Designer". I know all position I will need to hang my hat for a matter of years at a company but this is just where I would like to be headed.

I currently have been working as a CAD Tech/Designer since 2011 at 2 different engineering firms and currently now with Architect.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »
As an HR professional, I'd suggest you focus on how you can prepare for the interviews, rather than how you'll choose between them when you get three offers. Because that's what other candidates are doing.

But having said that, look at your descriptions. Only #3 makes your heart sing -- sorry, I mean its the only one you enthuse about.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 09:53:49 AM »
The shipyard does sound pretty appealing.

I know the other two are more of what I've all ready experienced with the whole corporate firm idea. The shipyard is also government so that sounds like a more solid gig.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 10:42:20 AM »
It would be interesting to get a feel for how many more subs will go through refueling overhaul.  That depends, of course, on the needs of the Navy.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/ssn-688.htm

When I was in the Navy, I spent a few weeks of training at Portsmouth in Kittery.  I really liked the area.  At the time, though, they were just starting the draw down (early-mid 90s), so many subs were decommissioned instead of being refueled.

After I moved to CA, I met a friend who was from that area and used to work there.  She lost her job during the draw down, but several years ago moved back to work there again.  So, it seems to me like it would be a good, enjoyable job if it's nice and stable.  Of course, it's hard to tell if it will be stable.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 10:44:46 AM »
Presuming you are perfectly matched and the top candidate for all three positions, I would lean towards #3 (and fire protection systems....snooze fest)  But first I'm going to tell you the sucky part about working for the government.

FirsDon't get too excited about the pension...frankly it sucks.  You earn 1% per year of service...so after 10 years of service, you have to wait until your minimum retirement age (62) and then you get 10% of your last salary annually.  Now you could work there until you reach your retirement age...so in 35 years you qualify for 35%.  So lets say I have 10 years of service and then I go do something else; and assume my last three years of salary average to 100K per year (I don't)  At 62, I will get $10,000 annually.   Oh, there is no COLA adjustment happening during the time I stopped working and am waiting for my pension to kick in.  So its $10K in todays dollars, so maybe enough to pay my electric bill in 30 years.   The only way to get the COLA in the pension is to keep working here until I'm 62.  Not going to happen.

However, I CAN contribute 18K per year to my Thrift Savings Plan, which has lower management fees than even Vanguard funds, and on top of that get matching funds up to 5% of my income.  That part is excellent.

Health care...way better coverage and pricing than ACA...do you have kids?  This will be a huge beni.

Life insurance...not the best deal out there (USAA term is cheaper) but if you don't have any other coverage, the rates are pretty good.

Federal Holidays!  Woot!  Annual leave and Sick leave!  Woot!

If it were me, I would focus my interview prep on making sure I was the best damn Mechanical/Submarine Draftsman anyone had ever seen!

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »
Seems everyone is leaning toward the shipyard..

The only downfall to that is I don't know if it will be the better paying out of the rest.

Luckily, I am single with no kids aside from my 7 year old Labrador. :)

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 12:29:58 PM »
I wouldn't worry about choosing until you get offers.  You might get so focused on one you'll be subconsciously absent at the other two and fail to leave a lasting impression.  Then you don't get an offer from the one you really wanted, and it's too late for the others.

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 09:50:14 PM »
The only downfall to that is I don't know if it will be the better paying out of the rest.

Salary can be significantly overrated. I could get an immediate raise by switching companies, but I would lose much more--job satisfaction, supportive management, intelligent and motivated coworkers, a flexible schedule, numerous on-site perks, a nice bike commute, showers/lockers in my building, a top-notch health plan...These are worth quite a lot to me, and I value my sanity during my working years as much as I value the potential for a satisfying retirement. I don't like the idea of enduring 10+ years in a sweatshop to retire a bit earlier.

Know what you want to do, know why you want to do it, and know how you plan to do it. If you are able to correlate this knowledge about yourself with the job you're trying to get, managers will be impressed. We hired one lady who asked for 5 minutes of our time at the end of a scheduled university recruiting session (she wasn't on the invite list, but she came with resumes/cover letters in hand specific for our interview, and she was dressed to interview as well). She was so knowledgeable about our company and the job, we rescheduled for a longer interview, and she earned the first offer of the season. My boss even commented that she was probably one of the top three interviews he had performed in over twenty years of management. Just a tip from the hiring side of the table.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 09:55:01 PM »
I've interviewed for jobs and didn't get a job offer. *gasp*

I would suggest you wait until you receive an offer or offers, then come back and ask again.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 12:27:48 PM »
First interview was a success. Ended up more as a conversation with them and we were all laughing and joking here and there.
Scheduled me for a second interview immediately to discuss pay and benefits.
The only downfall was that its a shirt and tie kind of place. Oh well.

They also thought I would get bored after viewing my portfolio in comparison to what they actually do. Needless to say I have the skill requirements.

Looking forward to the ship yard interview next week.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 06:48:14 AM »
Before my interviews next week where I will be discussing salary.

If asked how much I want, what would be a decent proposal for a 27 year old living in NH and working in MA with 5 years in field experience as a cad designer.

Would the numbers 45k-50k scare them off or selling myself too short?

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 08:16:30 AM »
Received my first offer from Abel Womack.

They were really generous at offering me 48k to start, after 90 days I can participate in their full benefits package which includes; health, dental, 401k (100% match I believe).

Tomorrow is my interview at the shipyard, which I am excited for.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 08:23:41 AM »
Good luck with the Federal Interview!

In my experience, after a decision is made on the federal job, you will either be called and offered the job, or totally ignored (it feels really unprofessional but there are rules about how hiring officials are to proceed)  It is OK to ask how quickly they intend to make the decision.  Just remember that the hiring decision likely has to go through several layers of burocracy before it gets to you officially.  That part can be maddening.  A good hiring official will let you know that you are the selectee and advise you to wait for the official offer from the Civilian Personnel office.  A scaredy-pants hiring official will do it all by the book and refuse to give you any information. 

Getting in to the Federal system is an exercise in crazy-making, but once you are in; its really worth the pain and suffering to get here.   Good luck to you!

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 08:42:37 AM »
Good luck with the Federal Interview!

In my experience, after a decision is made on the federal job, you will either be called and offered the job, or totally ignored (it feels really unprofessional but there are rules about how hiring officials are to proceed)  It is OK to ask how quickly they intend to make the decision.  Just remember that the hiring decision likely has to go through several layers of burocracy before it gets to you officially.  That part can be maddening.  A good hiring official will let you know that you are the selectee and advise you to wait for the official offer from the Civilian Personnel office.  A scaredy-pants hiring official will do it all by the book and refuse to give you any information. 

Getting in to the Federal system is an exercise in crazy-making, but once you are in; its really worth the pain and suffering to get here.   Good luck to you!

If you think it will take a while to get back to me, how should I go about telling Abel when I will get back to them with a response. Abel said they will be over night a package for me to review, sign, and return to continue the hiring process.

Abel gave me a great offer, but if the shipyard offers me close to the same income (or 10K less) the commute is still ten minutes to the shipyard as opposed to an hour to Abel... Just trying to weigh the pros and cons.

GoldenStache

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 09:33:03 AM »
It could take months depending on a ton of things the biggest being clearance.  It could also take months to find out if you got the job or not, or you could also hear the same week and be working within a month.  My worst experience was getting a call 11 months after I interviewed for a position, their first pick accepted, was going through the security requirement and didn't want to move after all.  I had already moved on.

Try to get a ballpark hiring time frame.  You might start working for one while waiting.   

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 09:38:27 AM »
Solid Advice from everyone. Thank you all very much.

how do I go about giving Abel a counter offer as they will be sending me a letter in the mail. Should I email HR and tell them thank you and ask for the 52k?