Author Topic: Thoughts on website idea  (Read 3794 times)

skklemm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thoughts on website idea
« on: March 20, 2014, 07:41:51 PM »
Hello all.  I'm a newbie.  I just finished reading the entire blog this week and I'm in the process of making a lot of changes.  One goal I have is to come up with some side jobs.  I'd love to get some advice/opinions on my big idea.

We moved to our current city 14 months ago.  While attempting to move, I found out this area has VERY little online to help find a rental.  It was a big PITA considering we lived 2 hours away at the time.  I always called it the internet black hole. 

So, I love the idea of creating a website for rentals in the surrounding area.  Let landlords/property managers post listings with pictures and details.  Free access to everyone.  Something along the lines of Craigslist/Zillow/Trulia (if you search all three sites you *might* find a total of 3 or 4 listings).  I'm thinking free access, but advertising.  Maybe Google until it grows a bit, then contact local businesses to sell ad space.  Maybe down the line I could create a premium membership and add FSBO?

I really feel like it's a good idea considering how much we struggled to find a rental. But I'd love to get an outsider's opinion. I know there are already sites out there people could use, but no one does.  I think it's because we are in the middle of nowhere (90 miles from 4 different larger cities). We need one specifically for this area. Maybe it just takes the right person (me!) to turn it into a success.

What do you think? Badass or flop?
Also, I just signed up at Treehouse.  Am I in over my head thinking I could create something like this?  Any advice from web developers/designers would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Re: Thoughts on website idea
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 08:22:25 PM »
So if Craiglist already exists for this area and no one uses it, why would they use your site?

I'm dumbstruck that landlords are not using free sites like Craigslist where you can even insert photos.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:33:11 PM »
Our local version of this service is not free for those advertising but is very widely used

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property

(it helps that they can use almost the same template for selling houses as for renting them)

skklemm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Iris, my best guess as to why they don't use CL is because the areas CL uses are all 90 minutes away. If I were to try to sell something I would have 5 areas to choose from that are all an hour or more away.

Thanks Annamal! I'll check it out.

phred

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 01:58:58 PM »
First thing to do is talk to some local landlords and property managers.  Get their views.  Would they be interested?  Second, who would be your potential advertisers?

skklemm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 11:07:17 AM »
Thank you phred.  Excellent idea.